Why Is It An English Poppy On Our Strip?

soapy

It might be irrelevant to some people, but I for one would rather support a Scottish organization for Scottish causes, whether it be buying a poppy, giving to an animal charity, or helping the homeless. That's unless it's stated specifically that it's not for a specifically Scottish cause (e.g. Oxfam, Christian Aid...)

Of course we could extend the "irrelevant" view to everything that's specifically Scottish (laws, education) and simply become even more a part of Englandshire.

Edited to add: of course though I have no say, much of what I buy or pay in taxes goes towards English charities, such as the Millenium Dome, the London Olympics etc.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Well I never knew that!

I didn't realise they were separate identities - I just assumed they were style variations on the "standard" poppy. :unsure:

Indeed - we do live and learn.

The Earl Haig fund (the scottish appeal) all goes to veterans in Scotland - but looking at the poppies on the english shirts, it would appear they have just designed their own. I have never seen the one Everton were wearing in my life!

(although there are tons of variations - for example, New Zealand use a poppy with 5 petals)

Did Sunderland not wear one atall?

Did Sunderland not wear one at all?

Don't believe they did. But neither did Morton amongst others.

On subject of our Poppy Strips, see they are currently at £350 and £280.33 on bids. Great to see them being bidded on generously, and likely to go for a lot more. The auction closes at 7pm on Friday 19th November incidentally.

On subject of our Poppy Strips, see they are currently at £350 and £280.33 on bids. Great to see them being bidded on generously, and likely to go for a lot more. The auction closes at 7pm on Friday 19th November incidentally.

the auction is fantastic, only wish i could afford to bid, altho id happily buy a poppy shirt if they were in the club shop, can they do iron on poppies like they do with names?

Now at 350 and 300. Shame we can't get to see the bid history.

Also a shame that the club didn't just organize a raffle for one of the other jerseys with a poppy. At a quid a shot they'd easily have got a similar amount for at least another one.

quite a few other Scottish clubs have the same poppy including St. Mirren

There was a bit in one of the papers today saying that St. Mirren and (I think) Dundee United had put the 'wrong' poppy on their strip, ie. The English one, because they sourced their own instead of using the ones sent out to them by the SPL/PoppyScotland.

Final day of poppy strip auction - 10 hours to go, and currently sitting on £400 and £500.

Now at 350 and 300. Shame we can't get to see the bid history.

Also a shame that the club didn't just organize a raffle for one of the other jerseys with a poppy. At a quid a shot they'd easily have got a similar amount for at least another one.

They did at the Cowdenbeath game, the first game in which the top was worn.

How much did that one go for Tom?