Paddy Bale Or Gareth Boyle

partickthedog

Best left wingback in UK football  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best left wingback in UK football?

• Gareth Bale
    • Paddy Boyle
    • Other. Please specify who and why

Undoubtedly the two most improved left wingbacks in UK football this season are Gareth Bale of Spurs and our own Paddy Boyle. But which is better? Should Ian McCall be approaching Harry Redknapp for a swap deal or should we stick with what we have?

Both can run, cross, mesmerise opposition defenders, shoot from free kicks and score goals. Gareth has a more modern hair cut, is better at smiling and does superior camera clicking impressions during goal celebrations. However, he benefits from my seeing him mostly on Match of the Day highlights packages which accentuate the positives, while poor Paddy has to put up with me watching his every move for the entire 90 minutes as he often has to bail (or bale?) out his dysfunctional team-mates. I do not see Gareth doing as much tracking back and putting in tackles as Paddy. And Paddy has a wonderful long throw.

So Paddy gets my vote and I would only consider an exchange if we could get a surplus striker such as Jermaine Defoe as makeweight. I suppose Alan Hutton could provide decent cover for Paul Paton at right back. Anyway, what do others think. Gregarious Gareth or Professional Paddy? Over to you...