Spl Playoffs?

twinny

I've been hearing the OF's derision of the idea of introducing play-offs at the top end of the SPL, and Hearts complaining that the OF immediately dismissed the idea without consideration.

Now, I disagree with play-offs for the title, that just makes the league season pointless (at least for the OF). However, couldn't you have a play-off without taking anything away from the league? As in keep the prize money and trophy for the SPL for the league season (like the presidents' trophy in ice hockey, but more prestigious), and have a 'SPL cup' with the top four teams to finish the season.

I was also wondering if this would work, rather than seeding any play-off (i.e. 1v4 2v3) as they would probably do, why not handicap it? Give the team that finished top of the league 3 goals at the start of each game, the team that finished second 2 goals, and the team that finished third 1 goal. This would maintain the importance of league position. You could even just give the team with the better league record a 1 goal head start in each game, or if the teams draw over 90 (or 180?) minutes the team with the better league position wins, instead of ET/pens.

I know, I disagree with it too, although as you say LIB for European places it seems interesting. I just wanted to see if anyone thought there would be a way to make it work. For what it's worth, I don't actually think handicap scorelines would work in football, it's far too low scoring for that.

What I haven't heard anyone comment on regarding this idea is what the Police think. Why would they ok a one game play-off at Hampden to decide the league (between the OF as that's what it will likely be each year) when they won't even allow a potential title decider just now?

I think it would be fantastic if this was passed because it means removing the stranglehold the OF have on Scottish football, I dont agree with the ethics/sporting integrity of the idea...but because it sticks one on the OF it has a certain appeal. It WILL NOT happen tho.

I think the OF gravy train does need to be utilised and, if any of you remember, I had an idea a few months ago that would help in this...in short:- 16 team league, split after 30 games, team who has the better of the 2 league games plays 3rd game at their stadium with all monies split (like in cup ties). 37 games, 3 OF games a season (have a one off OF cup made of shIte or something).

I know, I disagree with it too, although as you say LIB for European places it seems interesting.

scottish teams fall at the first hurdle in euro competition with impunity. major reason for this is that they favour a 'blooter & rush' approach to playing the game. a play-off at the top of the league, and securing a place in it, would only encourage this type of approach.

what is the point? scottish teams might as well give the other teams in the first round of euro competition a bye.

scottish teams fall at the first hurdle in euro competition with impunity. major reason for this is that they favour a 'blooter & rush' approach to playing the game. a play-off at the top of the league, and securing a place in it, would only encourage this type of approach.

what is the point? scottish teams might as well give the other teams in the first round of euro competition a bye.

Sad but completely true.

What I haven't heard anyone comment on regarding this idea is what the Police think. Why would they ok a one game play-off at Hampden to decide the league (between the OF as that's what it will likely be each year) when they won't even allow a potential title decider just now?

I realise it's not the point you're making, but why would it have to be a one off game? How about a best of three series with the team that finished higher up the league hosting games one and three?

I realise it's not the point you're making, but why would it have to be a one off game? How about a best of three series with the team that finished higher up the league hosting games one and three?

Brilliant! And they could call it the World Series of Soccer Finals, that would get them in - the fans, sponsors, media, tv, the lot.

Or. How about bigger leagues, where the top team is crowned champions, runners-up, third and/or fourth get a shot at european competition, 2 or 3 teams at the foot get relegated. 2 or 3 teams from the league below get promoted. All played, won and lost over the course of the season. Not tainted by play-offs at the top, middle or bottom, either at the start end or mid-way thru' the season. Works for the top leagues in europe. Is it a coincidence?

as a jags fan, i want to see us competing in the top league.

in the past week, some people in positions of power in scottish football have seriously suggested play-offs at both ends of the table in a 10-team top league. if it's got to that stage, then they would be as well having a game of long-shooty between 2 blindfolded circus clowns to decide the league.

two ten team leagues loaded with quirky stunts aimed at maximising revenue might achieve just that in the very short term, i.e., for one or two seasons. however, it would almost certainly accelerate the development of the game even further in the wrong direction of travel.

any amount of re-branding won't prevent even faster route one blooter and rush football, which is exactly what is being proposed will produce. and what price would spl set for spl2 matches? £20, £25 or even higher?

Not just price, Bluto. What will the stadium criteria be for this panacea? Will there be another total hose job for clubs with no money to bring their stadia up to a seating capacity they could never fill? Electronic scoreboard? Very nice. Will there be an SPL television deal for all 20 clubs? Maybe a few bob needing spent on facilities there.

This has bugger all to do with football. The grand plan has nothing to do with it either - it's about eight teams cosying up to the Old Firm then pulling up the ladder while 10 mugs in the 'second tier' chuck a flimsy veil of 'competition' over the whole, nasty concoction.

You know what? I don't give a rats arse about the rest of Scottish football anymore. I used to believe in all this "good of the game" guff but I'm just sick to the back teeth of it. Dundee/Gretna/Livi/Motherwell/League reconstruction every time Aberdeen finish bottom/Bigotry/Paranoia/Dundee/Dundee/Dundee/Dundee you name it I just can't bring myself to give a shit about any club but Thistle.

So frankly, I just want to see whats best for the Jags. I don't give a toss about the rest of them anymore. So, what do we think would be the best reconstruction for us? That gets my vote regardless of what it is. :mad2:

You know what? I don't give a rats arse about the rest of Scottish football anymore. I used to believe in all this "good of the game" guff but I'm just sick to the back teeth of it. Dundee/Gretna/Livi/Motherwell/League reconstruction every time Aberdeen finish bottom/Bigotry/Paranoia/Dundee/Dundee/Dundee/Dundee you name it I just can't bring myself to give a shit about any club but Thistle.

So frankly, I just want to see whats best for the Jags. I don't give a toss about the rest of them anymore. So, what do we think would be the best reconstruction for us? That gets my vote regardless of what it is. :mad2:

That's pretty much how I feel too.