Tonights Function

lennythistle

If it hasn't come from drug deals or the arms trade then I'm sure we all welcome £50,000 coming in. That's a huge amount for us in the current situation. But it's highly unusual for such a sponsorship coup not to be shouted from the rooftops by the club and the sponsor for maximum publicity. You know, photos with big smiles and handshakes and a huge cheque being handed over. Who sponsors a First Division club for £50,000 and treats it like a state secret where people have to winkle out the information?

Not necessarily sinister, but like so much to do with this club's finances, it's odd.

As far as I'm aware it was Billy Allan's company. There was also a director that pays a current players wages (Flanny?) and remained anonymous. I'd prefer this, knowing that they're doing it for the good of the club, than seeing publicity and thinking they're doing it to look like Billy Big-Baws...

If it hasn't come from drug deals or the arms trade then I'm sure we all welcome £50,000 coming in. That's a huge amount for us in the current situation. But it's highly unusual for such a sponsorship coup not to be shouted from the rooftops by the club and the sponsor for maximum publicity. You know, photos with big smiles and handshakes and a huge cheque being handed over. Who sponsors a First Division club for £50,000 and treats it like a state secret where people have to winkle out the information?

Not necessarily sinister, but like so much to do with this club's finances, it's odd.

Hadn't thought about it that way :thinking: ...

As far as I'm aware it was Billy Allan's company. There was also a director that pays a current players wages (Flanny?) and remained anonymous. I'd prefer this, knowing that they're doing it for the good of the club, than seeing publicity and thinking they're doing it to look like Billy Big-Baws...

...although if this is correct (and I recall something about that at the time) I can kinda see the point of keeping it low-profile.

Edited by Steven H

• Members

I just assumed it was a new shirt sponsor with the Ignis deal ending at the end of the season. So nothing mentioned about the new sponsors until the current deal ends so as not to piss off the current sponsor?

I can think of a few reasons why the sponsor as yet remains unknown. Could be the £50K is coming out the sponsor's next financial year budget. Could be it's a strategic decision from the marketing point of view of the sponsor. Could be a product or service that conflicts with one of our current sponsors.

The important issue for the Club is that the money is secured. I agree £50K is a lot of money in today's financial climate. For that very reason I suspect the timing of some sort of official announcement/fanfare is all the more important to the sponsor.

Not really, Billy Allan secured it, putting 2 & 2 together, it would seem almost certain that it is his company that is the sponsor (Europa?). He appears to be a guy who does alot of work behind the scenes, but is either shy, or does not want public plaudits for the work. That is in no way sinister or odd, just personal choice. I would put good money on that being the case, although, it is just my opinion.

The feedback from those who managed along last night, seems to be encouraging, in that in David Beattie we have someone who is appearing to be approachable, open, honest and who is gaining confidence and support from the club's fans.

However, we have been here before, in years gone by.

Beattie, along with Allan and the rest of the newlook PTFC board have in my opinion a lot to do to make people like me fully trust them and give them my full backing. But if last night is an indication of the future (and he wasn't spouting pish or saying things he didn't truly believe or covering up real facts or intentions or hidden agenda's), then they have made the first step to ensuring the board/supporters relationship grows in strength and trust.

And yet.......

But it's highly unusual for such a sponsorship coup not to be shouted from the rooftops by the club and the sponsor for maximum publicity. You know, photos with big smiles and handshakes and a huge cheque being handed over. Who sponsors a First Division club for £50,000 and treats it like a state secret where people have to winkle out the information?

Been thinking this way since announced half of the £100k had been raised through some un-named and unspecified sponsorship deal, and nothing else has been forthcoming or said about it.

Be good if some clarity could be given to the curious minded like me.

• Members

Not really, Billy Allan secured it, putting 2 & 2 together, it would seem almost certain that it is his company that is the sponsor (Europa?). He appears to be a guy who does alot of work behind the scenes, but is either shy, or does not want public plaudits for the work. That is in no way sinister or odd, just personal choice. I would put good money on that being the case, although, it is just my opinion.

DB said last night that we dont hear much from Billy Allan as he's more often than not jetting around the World on business.

Letter from CEO of ABC plc:

Dear Big Cahuna of 123 Ltd,

Well, BC, 2010 was a tough year, wasn't it? Still, I hope that all the fees ABC passed your way over the year helped to keep you in good shape for the year ahead.

In these hard times, I've always thought that it's important for friends to stick together. We are friends, BC, aren't we?

Anyway, enough about that. Over here at ABC, we're in the process of sorting out our list of preferred suppliers for the new year. I hope that we can maybe put some business your way again. I did say that we're all friends, aren't we? Did I already mention that friends should stick together??

Your etc

Grand Fromage, ABC plc

ps Did I mention that I'm involved with a football team down in Bigtown? Jeez, it's been a tough year for them, but they sure do mean a lot to me. You know what football teams are like though - money, money money.

Letter from CEO of 123 Ltd:

Dear Grand Fromage of ABC plc:

Many thanks for your letter GF. Sure, we're friends - we go way back, and I really do hope that we can supply some of our excellent quality, low cost services to you again in 2011.

I was interested to hear about that football club you mentioned. I sure do love football. Here at 123 Ltd, we'd love to be associated with a football club. The trouble is that we're based in Farawayville and we make widgets, so it's going to be pretty difficult for me to justify blowing, shall we say £50k?, of our advertising budget on something in Bigtown where we don't do any business and where there isn't really a market for widgets. Still, we sure do like football. What to do? Perhaps I could let you have the £50k, but maybe we could keep it low key, that way, I won't have too many folk asking awkward questions??

Anyway, 123 did a heck of a lot of business for ABC last year, didn't it? Jeez you kept us busy! I hope that 2011 is a good year for you GF.

Love and hugs

Big Cahuna, 123 Ltd

Email from BC to GF:

Hi GF - it's BC here. Just got your letter and cheque. Thanks mate, I'm sure that our beautiful friendship still has a long way to run. Say hi to Mrs GF and the kids for me.

Yours etc

BC

Would that be the same Europa Support Services Ltd who made over £80k from the club last year for 'facilities management' according to the annual report?

Would that be the same Europa Support Services Ltd who made over £80k from the club last year for 'facilities management' according to the annual report?

The very same, the same Europa who have their logo in the toilets of the Aitken suite and on the back of some of the stewards jackets.

I imagine if it is BA's company then the £80k would be a hell of a lot less than the same would cost from other companies.

Not at all. My only point is that a director has found a company willing to give £50k in sponsorship to the club. No mean feat in the current economic environment. Do I care who they are? Not really. There are many more interesting things to query, but if you're interested, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out, for whatever that's worth...

(Don't really understand your second sentance.)

David, if the club announced the arrival of a player, investor or director and told us all nothing but "we have a new player/investor/director coming on board", wouldn't we be entitled to be a little bit curious about that person?

So far we've been told Billy Allan has a £50,000 sponsorship package lined up. That puts a huge dent in the £100,000 shortfall the club has warned about and no-one wants/deserves to know who the benefactor is and how long the deal lasts?

It seems our club does.

DB said last night that we dont hear much from Billy Allan as he's more often than not jetting around the World on business.

His company announced a £15million, five-year outsourcing deal this week. If someone can type a press release on that, surely a few lines on a lifeline sponsorship deal for a struggling football club on its own website can't be too much of a chore?

When why announce the £50,000 sponsorship deal at all?

Dear, dear Will. I know your advancing years take a terrible toll, but there's email, the internet, telephones. ;):P:lol: If my former employer in Virginia can dump 300 employees in Glasgow because profit margins have slipped below 24% then I'm sure Billy, or one of his employees, can send us a couple of lines on our club's latest sponsorship.

Dear, dear Will. I know your advancing years take a terrible toll, but there's email, the internet, telephones. ;):P:lol: If my former employer in Virginia can dump 300 employees in Glasgow because profit margins have slipped below 24% then I'm sure Billy, or one of his employees, can send us a couple of lines on our club's latest sponsorship.

Maybe there will be in the next few weeks. Who knows.

• Members

Only reporting back what was said, hadn't realised I had offered an opinion on it??? :thinking:

Not long in from tonights function. Hope i speak for those of us that were there but it was very informative.

One of the main issues on here of late has been the talk of the money required to see us till the end of the season.

David Beattie advised that we did previously require £100k but now it is down to £50k after the sponsorship deal arranged by Billy Allen. No details of the sponsorship deal were requested by any of us nor explained by David Beattie.

The £50k required is to basically allow us to start next season with a clean slate. David feels that the board should be responsible for past debts, not the fans. He expects the board themselves will raise the £50k.

There is still inititives being discussed which will be put to the fans. They are being amended as after putting together the first lot, david felt they would not work as planned so some changes are being made.

A questionnaire is being drafted for all fans. It is designed to give us all a voice in how we can raise monies for the club. It will cover a wide range of topics.

You will recall a previous message from David Beattie requesting emails regards any ideas for fund raising. 17 people sent him emails. Not exactly a resounding response. I'd say only around 50 turned up tonight and that included a large number who have a role at the club. We all have a voice , we all have a role to play in the future of our club. Seems a large number still have their issues as to how the club has been run in the past.

I sent an idea to him last week. Not the first time I've done this with the club to receive nothing, nada, nought in the way of a response. They wonder why there's an apathy, but I know I'm not the first to have gone to some effort to have my suggestions thrust into the bulging 'ideas drawer' in Firhill Towers.

Lesson learnt..