Tonights Function

lennythistle

Not long in from tonights function. Hope i speak for those of us that were there but it was very informative.

One of the main issues on here of late has been the talk of the money required to see us till the end of the season.

David Beattie advised that we did previously require £100k but now it is down to £50k after the sponsorship deal arranged by Billy Allen. No details of the sponsorship deal were requested by any of us nor explained by David Beattie.

The £50k required is to basically allow us to start next season with a clean slate. David feels that the board should be responsible for past debts, not the fans. He expects the board themselves will raise the £50k.

There is still inititives being discussed which will be put to the fans. They are being amended as after putting together the first lot, david felt they would not work as planned so some changes are being made.

A questionnaire is being drafted for all fans. It is designed to give us all a voice in how we can raise monies for the club. It will cover a wide range of topics.

You will recall a previous message from David Beattie requesting emails regards any ideas for fund raising. 17 people sent him emails. Not exactly a resounding response. I'd say only around 50 turned up tonight and that included a large number who have a role at the club. We all have a voice , we all have a role to play in the future of our club. Seems a large number still have their issues as to how the club has been run in the past.

Although delighted that he appears to have said that he thinks the club will raise the £50k still required, I kind of wish he hadn't said that. As it could make any fundraising idea (either by the club, or the fans) not be as fully supported as it possibly would be if the fans believed that it was actually going to make a major difference to the club being here or not come next season.

I'm in no way saying he should have lied to the fans, & I hope that any fundraising ideas are still fully supported by the fans to help build the club for the upcoming challenges.

Although delighted that he appears to have said that he thinks the club will raise the £50k still required, I kind of wish he hadn't said that. As it could make any fundraising idea (either by the club, or the fans) not be as fully supported as it possibly would be if the fans believed that it was actually going to make a major difference to the club being here or not come next season.

I'm in no way saying he should have lied to the fans, & I hope that any fundraising ideas are still fully supported by the fans to help build the club for the upcoming challenges.

Any chat from McCall on new signings? Hardie/Fox contracts?

• Members

Any chat from McCall on new signings? Hardie/Fox contracts?

He'd love to sign them both he said. Fox is a priority. When I asked if the money we would earn from the St J Cup tie would go towards the still outstanding £50k, I was told no, and McCall quickly jumped in and said he hoped it would go towards getting Fox signed up. He also said that Liam is on his way out and he wouldn't be surprised if he was away within the next 7 days. "Several" Clubs are showing an interest and I think (though I may be mistaken) that we should get a token fee for him, but it would be pennies. He reckoned his return for the £15k spent on him has been great but he's had a lot of family issues and injury problems this season and is only now starting to get over them. He would like to bring someone in to replace him if he goes... Reading between the lines I took it as a lower league player rather than a Junior League player that would have the potential to be as good or better than Liam has been for the Club.

Edited by Willjag

I went up last night as a curious supporter, occasional poster on here, non-trust member and full time cynic of the board and have to say I came away impressed and reassured by David Beattie and the future of Partick Thistle.

The guy answered everything that was put to him and, bearing in mind what I said in the opening line, I genuinely believe there are no hidden agendas as far as the Propco deal. The guy seemed, to say the least, exasperated at trying to convince people that there was nothing more to it than what's already been told. This was, in part, backed up by Ian McCall who said who spoke about how the guy has been ill in the past year but is running Partick Thistle for nothing as well as digging into his own pocket to support the manager with funds for the team.

I think the comment on the other £50k was that it was his opinion that the board (previous, though he was part of it) were the cause of the problem and as such they should be working to pay it back. However, I think he was asking the fans to pull together to try and raise as much of this as possible and whether this came from their ideas or fundraisers it was all good. That said, if there was still a shortfall for this season I did get the impression that the directors would dig into their own pockets to fund it.

The e-mails and suggestions, or lack of, has been mentioned above. But as was suggested at the meeting last night, this is probably due to suporter apathy and lack of response and encouragement from previous directors that their opinions, suggestions and ideas were welcome.

The realtionship the club have with the Warriors was mentioned and the fact that it accounts for 15% of the football clubs budget. I got the impression both clubs are keen for this to continue. Whether this means moving away from Firhill wasn't said but what was said was that the rugby weren't keen on Scotstoun either due to the athletics track and also the fact Scotstoun does not have undersoil heating.

The biggest disappointment for me was the turn out. I know there was the cup game the previous night and people have family/work commitments, but did think there would be more there last night. At the very end, David Beattie was asked if this was something he would do again before the end of the season to which he replied yes and the manger's challenge was to get more folk next time.

As I said at the beginning I was very cynical of Propco and the B.O.D. but after last night I genuinely believe that the club is at last pulling in the right direction off the park and with the youth system showing signs of positive fruition, we're perhaps going the right way on the park also.

Maybe it's time to draw a line under the past and move forward as one. How? I don't know but we all know the Trust is the 'deid duck' in its present format. However, I would say when the time comes, and if you can, get your @rse up to Firhill between now and the end of the season for the games and if you can, get along to the next night that's organised.

Finally, just a quick thanks to those who did organise last night. :thumbsup2:

Not long in from tonights function. Hope i speak for those of us that were there but it was very informative.

One of the main issues on here of late has been the talk of the money required to see us till the end of the season.

David Beattie advised that we did previously require £100k but now it is down to £50k after the sponsorship deal arranged by Billy Allen. No details of the sponsorship deal were requested by any of us nor explained by David Beattie.

The £50k required is to basically allow us to start next season with a clean slate. David feels that the board should be responsible for past debts, not the fans. He expects the board themselves will raise the £50k.

There is still inititives being discussed which will be put to the fans. They are being amended as after putting together the first lot, david felt they would not work as planned so some changes are being made.

A questionnaire is being drafted for all fans. It is designed to give us all a voice in how we can raise monies for the club. It will cover a wide range of topics.

You will recall a previous message from David Beattie requesting emails regards any ideas for fund raising. 17 people sent him emails. Not exactly a resounding response. I'd say only around 50 turned up tonight and that included a large number who have a role at the club. We all have a voice , we all have a role to play in the future of our club. Seems a large number still have their issues as to how the club has been run in the past.

Just to reiterate i think there has been more than that sent, just perhaps some never got to his inbox unfortuntely

He'd love to sign them both he said. Fox is a priority. When I asked if the money we would earn from the St J Cup tie would go towards the still outstanding £50k, I was told no, and McCall quickly jumped in and said he hoped it would go towards getting Fox signed up. He also said that Liam is on his way out and he wouldn't be surprised if he was away within the next 7 days. "Several" Clubs are showing an interest and I think (though I may be mistaken) that we should get a token fee for him, but it would be pennies. He reckoned his return for the £15k spent on him has been great but he's had a lot of family issues and injury problems this season and is only now starting to get over them. He would like to bring someone in to replace him if he goes... Reading between the lines I took it as a lower league player rather than a Junior League player that would have the potential to be as good or better than Liam has been for the Club.

Brillant news to hear Damon Gray is on his way back ;)

Eh? Why not? The opportunity was there. :unsure:

The only thing I can say to that is i'm pretty sure if it was asked then he would've told us. It has to be said that the questioning went more down the line of where the other £50k was coming from. However you're right in saying it was a missed opportunity by those that were there last night, myself included. But as I said, it was a very open and honest meeting. The only thing I can suggest is wait and see what comes out in his programme notes or alternatively e-mail him and ask him?

I appreciate the update.

Was any mention made of;

a) The club`s position on league reconstruction

B) A possible share issue to minor investors.

Many thanks

hj

a) David said he was not in favour of a 10 team league, he can understand the financial argument put forward but woulf prefer a bigger not smaller league.

B) It was brought up and David said he would love to see Thistle owned by the fans, in terms of buying a share for £30 (that was what was put to him) he said he had doubts that would raise the sort of money the Club are looking at. A shares issue is very much an option though.

B) It was brought up and David said he would love to see Thistle owned by the fans, in terms of buying a share for £30 (that was what was put to him) he said he had doubts that would raise the sort of money the Club are looking at. A shares issue is very much an option though.

I would suggest that this should not be seen as an either/or. Yes, the fans are unlikely to be able to come up with the sums needed to clear off the debts - that's fully understood. However, there should still be a low threshold means for fans to buy share in the club both on a one-off basis or on an ongoing basis.

I would suggest that this should not be seen as an either/or. Yes, the fans are unlikely to be able to come up with the sums needed to clear off the debts - that's fully understood. However, there should still be a low threshold means for fans to buy share in the club both on a one-off basis or on an ongoing basis.

We are in complete agreement here Allan.

It reads to me a little like how dare you be interested in the club's financial affairs.

That new seat of yours must be damn comfy.

Not at all. My only point is that a director has found a company willing to give £50k in sponsorship to the club. No mean feat in the current economic environment. Do I care who they are? Not really. There are many more interesting things to query, but if you're interested, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out, for whatever that's worth...

(Don't really understand your second sentance.)

Not at all. My only point is that a director has found a company willing to give £50k in sponsorship to the club. No mean feat in the current economic environment. Do I care who they are? Not really. There are many more interesting things to query, but if you're interested, then I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out, for whatever that's worth...

(Don't really understand your second sentance.)

If it hasn't come from drug deals or the arms trade then I'm sure we all welcome £50,000 coming in. That's a huge amount for us in the current situation. But it's highly unusual for such a sponsorship coup not to be shouted from the rooftops by the club and the sponsor for maximum publicity. You know, photos with big smiles and handshakes and a huge cheque being handed over. Who sponsors a First Division club for £50,000 and treats it like a state secret where people have to winkle out the information?

Not necessarily sinister, but like so much to do with this club's finances, it's odd.