Mchugh Loan Signing Off

rodmac

I am tempted to wonder out loud how in God's name Motherwell has remained in business if there's such nonsense going on over a player - Grella is American and clubs should do their homework - but I don't really want to open 15 years of old wounds. :rolleyes:

Gawd, don't start me on Motherwell, the luckiest club in Scotland? Saved from the drop umpteen times, so now an established "big-ish" club. Not Big Issue as could have been otherwise.

Then to rub salt in, while in administration, they sign Burns and Craigan from us, on pre contracts, while we're comfortably above them in the league. I think we went down the folowing season, and they stayed up.

Is my resentment coming across strongly enough?

Rant over...feels good to get that off me chest.

Gawd, don't start me on Motherwell, the luckiest club in Scotland? Saved from the drop umpteen times, so now an established "big-ish" club. Not Big Issue as could have been otherwise.

Then to rub salt in, while in administration, they sign Burns and Craigan from us, on pre contracts, while we're comfortably above them in the league. I think we went down the folowing season, and they stayed up.

Is my resentment coming across strongly enough?

Rant over...feels good to get that off me chest.

Do you know that for a fact re the pre contracts? While Motherwell were undoubtedly financially cheating we lost those two not so much on wages but on length of contract. I don't like to criticise Lambie but the make 'em sweat attitude he had to re-signings backfired big time on this occasion. We were promoting Collins to manager, a risky enough venture as it was, and doubling the risk by letting him loose in the transfer market. Craigan to me was the biggest loss but keeping Burns would have helped. Him & Grady in tandem would have scored a fair amount. So imo the bigger culprits were PTFC in not having tied up Burns & Craigan the season before.

Probably Sesame Street, Some Big Bird told him... :P

:lol:

Do you know that for a fact re the pre contracts? While Motherwell were undoubtedly financially cheating we lost those two not so much on wages but on length of contract. I don't like to criticise Lambie but the make 'em sweat attitude he had to re-signings backfired big time on this occasion. We were promoting Collins to manager, a risky enough venture as it was, and doubling the risk by letting him loose in the transfer market. Craigan to me was the biggest loss but keeping Burns would have helped. Him & Grady in tandem would have scored a fair amount. So imo the bigger culprits were PTFC in not having tied up Burns & Craigan the season before.

Agreed. While there is so much to admire about Lambie, the policy of signing players on 1 year contracts always left us exposed to losing guys who had a good season.

I don't believe Burns and Craigan signed pre contracts. However, I know for a fact that quite a lot of players left at the end of that season not because they wanted to leave Thistle but because they didn't want to work for Collins. Gerry Britton also very nearly left for the same reason.