Mchugh Loan Signing Off

rodmac

I am tempted to wonder out loud how in God's name Motherwell has remained in business if there's such nonsense going on over a player - Grella is American and clubs should do their homework - but I don't really want to open 15 years of old wounds. :rolleyes:

The FIFA rules are crazy, restrict trade and freedom of employment/movement. They appear to contravene European Union laws. The EU should tell FIFA to amend its laws and stop regarding itself as above the law.

The FIFA rules are crazy, restrict trade and freedom of employment/movement. They appear to contravene European Union laws. The EU should tell FIFA to amend its laws and stop regarding itself as above the law.

The EU doesn't restrict the movement of non-EU nationals within the EU, it will be down to the British authorities to grant Grella his visa. The common sense required is minimal though, he's still got a contract with Leeds, so they should technically be his employers imo. The bureaucracy of the whole process is unnecessary. Agree with McKennan, Motherwell should know better. He should get his visa, it'll just take time for it to be granted...

I thought it was to do with him having already played for 2 clubs this season, and there being a rule allowing players to register with a maximum of three clubs in one season but only allowed to play for two of those. Nothing to do with nationality. Some players have managed to get around this.

I think Begovic played for three teams in one season after he signed for Stoke mind you...

Edited by twinny

I thought it was to do with him having already played for 2 clubs this season, and there being a rule allowing players to register with a maximum of three clubs in one season but only allowed to play for two of those. Nothing to do with nationality. Some players have managed to get around this.

That's what I thought. However, Arsenal have just allowed Aaron Ramsey to go on loan to Cardiff for a month. He had a spell with Nottingham Forest at the end of last year when he returned from injury. There has been no suggestion that Ramsey can't play for Arsenal when his Cardiff loan ends.

That's what I thought. However, Arsenal have just allowed Aaron Ramsey to go on loan to Cardiff for a month. He had a spell with Nottingham Forest at the end of last year when he returned from injury. There has been no suggestion that Ramsey can't play for Arsenal when his Cardiff loan ends.

Ramsey was a sub recently for Arsenal I'm sure (one of the Cups) I can't remember if he played or not, but it is strange given the rules

Think it has to do with cross-border deals.

I don't think so, I think it's a FIFA ruling

I have a feeling that it is to do with cross-border moves. Perhaps individual FAs are able to overrule in instances where all three registered clubs play under the same FA (i.e. Begovic at Portsmouth, Ipswich and Stoke; Ramsay at Arsenal, Forest and Cardiff) however in this instance perhaps the FA/SFA can't overrule the FIFA law as it's two different FAs involved.

Not really - Cardiff are in the English league.

I believe that they are governed by the Welsh FA even though they are members of the Football League.

Edited to add that Ramsey required international clearance to sign for Cardiff - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/9370546.stm

"He could not play in their thrilling 4-2 win over Watford on Saturday - a result that moved Cardiff into the top two - as Ramsey had not received international clearance."

Edited by kni

I believe that they are governed by the Welsh FA even though they are members of the Football League.

Edited to add that Ramsey required international clearance to sign for Cardiff - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/9370546.stm

"He could not play in their thrilling 4-2 win over Watford on Saturday - a result that moved Cardiff into the top two - as Ramsey had not received international clearance."

You learn something new everyday ... well if you stay awake.