Striker Required Immediately

macca

Think the manager has said, if we win the next couple of games and still have an outside (a very outside) chance of promotion, he'll be looking to add a striker. The McHugh deal will probably be revived once he recovers from injury now Motherwell have signed the prolific Vagina Jeffers.

Edited by Armand2

The season's drawing to a close. I don't think we can force our way into the title fight and I think we have enough to keep us from going down. We should be looking at the squad at the end of the season, rather than no, imo.

I'd agree with that. We should be saving every penny to go towards next season's budget. I'm disappointed Grehan hasn't worked out, for a big man he's powderpuff. He worked hard last night, but never looked like getting the better of Duberry nor creating anything for anyone else.

A few points:

Now first, I am not wanting to have a pop at Ian McCall, he has worked wonders to turn things around...BUT he did PROMISE every supporter that we would see a lot of the younger guys this season (and certainally towards the end of the season), it was one of his, and the boards ploys to increase season ticket sales at the start of the campaign, thus far, I'm extremely disappointed with this! McBeth (yes, he has been sidelined) has made very few appearances, and I fully expected Shawn Fraser to start last night ahead of Grehan, he has far more strength and is a lot faster. So in summary I would want to hold back in bringing in a striker to increase the budget next season (an emergency loan at best), but I want Mr.McCall to stick to his guns and play Fraser a lot more frequently along side Doolan, as Grehan has proven he is not Div1 material unfortunately, Erskine is not an out and out striker, and Donnelly is far to old to be playing 90mins. Hodge has proven he is just not a footballer, period, and perhaps Jamie Campbell could fill that position, as I've said many a time, Cairney and Hodge in the same team just does not work!

C'mon The Jags

Hodge is a footballer & was probably our best player last night. Also, for me, he's been very good the last 6 weeks (?) since our good run started.

McCall's handling of the young players, so far, has been spot on. I would have put Fraser on earlier last night, but I don't think he can be criticised for not starting Fraser.

Big Duberry would have had Fraser even further in his pocket than he had Grehan. I like what I've seen from Fraser but he is still very raw and needs time.

Not a great fan of Hodge but, to be fair, he has been in decent form for the last couple of months. Playing for a contract, maybe, but he's doing a good job at the minute and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Cairney, on the other hand, hasn't kicked his own arse for a good while and, if Campbell is to come in for anyone, it should be him.

Hodge is a footballer & was probably our best player last night. Also, for me, he's been very good the last 6 weeks (?) since our good run started.

McCall's handling of the young players, so far, has been spot on. I would have put Fraser on earlier last night, but I don't think he can be criticised for not starting Fraser.

Big Duberry would have had Fraser even further in his pocket than he had Grehan. I like what I've seen from Fraser but he is still very raw and needs time.

Not a great fan of Hodge but, to be fair, he has been in decent form for the last couple of months. Playing for a contract, maybe, but he's doing a good job at the minute and doesn't deserve to be dropped. Cairney, on the other hand, hasn't kicked his own arse for a good while and, if Campbell is to come in for anyone, it should be him.

Agree with just about all of above quotes.

For much of the first half last night I was pleasantly surprised with Grehan's contribution. True, I have low expectations about the guy in the first place but he did enough last night compared to others to avoid that much criticism.

I don't want to misquote McCall but I thought he said last Thursday night that he was torn between bringing in a further striker this season or banking whatever pittance he'd have got for next season. He did say that he'd be knocking on the door for funding had we won thru against St J. Further to all that McCall was no doubt anticipating a decent cup crowd at Perth. I guess with last Saturday's postponement the final possibility of adding to squad disappeared.

I'd maybe still give Cairney the benefit of the doubt since he was one on the sick list last night but I'd be tempted to start Campbell sooner rather than later.

Having watched last night`s woeful performance it must be blatently obvious to our directors that we need a striker so come on loosen the purse strings and help McCall out.

i sed mark roberts and i got shot down. who then? kenny deuchar? colin mcmenamin? thistle wont sign richie barr becoz they cnt afford him

Anything to do with new contracts being dished out? Hodge on the whole has been dire, though as you say he is playing a bit now but he has not done enough for me during his time with us.

Hodge played well last night. Took me until last night to realise Hodge is actually quite fast when he wants to be.

Hodge played, well. he was chasing shadows, they are a cut above us but i think hodge has matured into a good player. we gave him stick for ages, he was gettin booed n whistled but he rose above it and kept tryin and diggin away so we have to respect him for that, u have to admire his reilience and tenacity. he will be a big player for us next season

Edited by Gimp

Hodge the scapegoat then? A certain Chic Charnley was a bit of a drinker but noone complained then. This is a guy that was playing with Blackburn and was close to signing for an SPL team before we stepped in.

He's young and I think he's improving all the time. The 1st division must have been a culture shock for him but just because he doesn't chase around at 100mph doesn't mean he isn't putting the effort in.

Hodge the scapegoat then? A certain Chic Charnley was a bit of a drinker but noone complained then. This is a guy that was playing with Blackburn and was close to signing for an SPL team before we stepped in.

He's young and I think he's improving all the time. The 1st division must have been a culture shock for him but just because he doesn't chase around at 100mph doesn't mean he isn't putting the effort in.

Bigger get a grip m8. Has your spring just been released ?