The Old Firm

angry gaz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard Les Grey on radio this morning suggesting that the OF games shouldn't be broadcast and it seemed a pretty sensible suggestion.

The cops can handle the mob in one location, be it Ibrox or Parkhead, but they can't possibly deal with the morons who gather in pubs or each other houses to get tanked-up and then go mental.

Of course it would have to mean no broadcasts at all to avoid internet loopholes etc, but the only people it would hurt would be the Ugly Sisters themselves. Let's face it, they're both commercial concerns and I can't imagine that any other business that resulted in the regular mayhem that these games cause would be allowed to trade for any length of time.

Heard Les Grey on radio this morning suggesting that the OF games shouldn't be broadcast and it seemed a pretty sensible suggestion.

The cops can handle the mob in one location, be it Ibrox or Parkhead, but they can't possibly deal with the morons who gather in pubs or each other houses to get tanked-up and then go mental.

Of course it would have to mean no broadcasts at all to avoid internet loopholes etc, but the only people it would hurt would be the Ugly Sisters themselves. Let's face it, they're both commercial concerns and I can't imagine that any other business that resulted in the regular mayhem that these games cause would be allowed to trade for any length of time.

That's it exactly. Let's remember that recently a gathering of a couple of thousand people wanting to play curling on a frozen loch got banned.....because there would be too much traffic on the road!! Hardly a problem for the polis cells and A&E departments all over Scotland. Yet this prehistoric battle with all its satellite skirmishes and dangers for innocent bystanders is allowed to continue several times every year.

:no:

I would Celtic are slightly the better of the two in terms of songs that actually relate to football. Rangers are slightly the better of the two when it comes to waving flags that represent the country that they are actually from.

Don't kid yourself on. We all know what they're doing when they're "waving flags that represent the country that they are actually from"

Anyway, how many times have we been here before, sorry I've only got two sets of hands.

WOW!!!!

If what happened on the pitch at that OF happened during a derby game in Istanbul, Buenos Aires, Rome, etc it would have been seen by us as a great spectacle when coupled with all the flares, flags, etc in the crowd not to mention the more 'venemous atmosphere' created in derbies elsewhere.

The only thing that is unique to Scotland in all of this is the bigotry, that is nothing new, there really isn't a lot to discuss, nothing will change.

Jim Jeffries was right, it was an entertaining spectacle. And given how poor the OF teams are these days that is the only kind of spectacle they can create, it won't be a footballing one.

I hate the OF as much as anyone on here but I really don't see what the big deal is with this game in particular, apart from a few more bad tackles and a bit of handbags between 2 coaches it was the same as always.

If what happened on the pitch at that OF happened during a derby game in Istanbul, Buenos Aires, Rome, etc it would have been seen by us as a great spectacle when coupled with all the flares, flags, etc in the crowd not to mention the more 'venemous atmosphere' created in derbies elsewhere.

The only thing that is unique to Scotland in all of this is the bigotry, that is nothing new, there really isn't a lot to discuss, nothing will change.

Jim Jeffries was right, it was an entertaining spectacle. And given how poor the OF teams are these days that is the only kind of spectacle they can create, it won't be a footballing one.

I hate the OF as much as anyone on here but I really don't see what the big deal is with this game in particular, apart from a few more bad tackles and a bit of handbags between 2 coaches it was the same as always.

36 red cards shown in one game in Buenos Aires

This ref should have been officiating the Bigotfest on Wednesday.

Hello people... Just thought I'd pop in and see what hyperbolic nonsense you were saying about the game the other night.

Lennon was an idiot for losing the plot like he did, difficult to know what was said and therefore give a proper opinion. But on the face of it, he should have walked away.

Diouf is just a pathetic *******, barging into the Celtic physio as he ran on to treat someone? Then his whole throwing his shirt into the crowd business?... maybe if he'd had an outstanding game himself I could almost let it go, but he was crap.

They were out to spoil the game, sit deep, kick people and sneak a goal. The "Wattienacio" system.

The copper's idea of not broadcasting the game live would probably work in all fairness, in terms of cutting down trouble, I'd say that most of the trouble that occurs is easily by people who weren't at the game. But, as it all comes down to pound notes in the end, it's never gonna happen.

Don't think anyone has got all the answers... and in all honesty, I'm pleased that my time living away from Glasgow and getting rid of the parochial attitudes it harbours has led to me not getting to worked up about these games anymore.

Although I do hate those horrible H*n ********... :lol:

Hello people... Just thought I'd pop in and see what hyperbolic nonsense you were saying about the game the other night.

Lennon was an idiot for losing the plot like he did, difficult to know what was said and therefore give a proper opinion. But on the face of it, he should have walked away.

Diouf is just a pathetic *******, barging into the Celtic physio as he ran on to treat someone? Then his whole throwing his shirt into the crowd business?... maybe if he'd had an outstanding game himself I could almost let it go, but he was crap.

They were out to spoil the game, sit deep, kick people and sneak a goal. The "Wattienacio" system.

The copper's idea of not broadcasting the game live would probably work in all fairness, in terms of cutting down trouble, I'd say that most of the trouble that occurs is easily by people who weren't at the game. But, as it all comes down to pound notes in the end, it's never gonna happen.

Don't think anyone has got all the answers... and in all honesty, I'm pleased that my time living away from Glasgow and getting rid of the parochial attitudes it harbours has led to me not getting to worked up about these games anymore.

Although I do hate those horrible H*n ********... :lol:

The copper's idea of not broadcasting the game live would probably work in all fairness, in terms of cutting down trouble, I'd say that most of the trouble that occurs is easily by people who weren't at the game. But, as it all comes down to pound notes in the end, it's never gonna happen

Given the financial restraints put on services like the police and health service in the coming months and years, it may well be pound notes that does finally force action to be taken. If the cop's figures about it costing a million to legally process a murder charge and 250 grand for an assault are to be believed, then the tax payer is taking a hiding to protect the commercial interests of these two clubs (if you believe they are connected). Add to that the expected drop in police numbers, A&E closures etc and the infrastructure of the country is going to find these fixtures increasingly hard to cope with. The idea of not broadcasting the game seems on the face of it a no bad idea.

I'm sure they will argue that they cannot be held responsible for what happens outside the stadium, but they should at least be held accountable for what happens in it. When two managers cannot gracefully shake hands at the end of the game then the signals that sends out to the more neanderthal OF support makes me shake. They hold prominent positions in our society and should be held accountable for abusing it - sadly I doubt we'll ever see the embarrassing SFA show itself to have any authority. It will be political and financial pressure if anything that hopefully changes things. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the 'summit' that's been organised, although it's probably such a love-in behind closed doors I'd be violently sick.

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

If you know you are going to totally disagree with everything people say about the Old Firm on a THISTLEforum, why even bother in the first place?

Also, your comment about the h*ns being out to spoil the game is laughable. I take it you didn't pay particular attention to Scott Brown's perfomance or the outrageous dives from your Israeli midfielder?

By the way, do your fans still wave Palestine flags now that your best player happens to be from Israel?

If you know you are going to totally disagree with everything people say about the Old Firm on a THISTLEforum, why even bother in the first place?

Also, your comment about the h*ns being out to spoil the game is laughable. I take it you didn't pay particular attention to Scott Brown's perfomance or the outrageous dives from your Israeli midfielder?

By the way, do your fans still wave Palestine flags now that your best player happens to be from Israel?

Calm down and untangle your bloomers flower.

To think Rangers tried to play any football at all is bizarre. They got shown 10 days previously that they couldn't compete if they did.

I think there are still some that fly Palestinian flags at the games. Interestingly, Kayal is a Muslim... only found that out the other day. Who knew eh?

Oh... for the record. I didn't disagree with everything that everyone said.

Edited by johnnyc313

I was reading or more correctly skimming the BBC website, when my eye was caught by the headline "Celtic accept" the four match ban on manager Neil Lennon, that's terribly decent of them and all that, especially since I was unaware that Dr Reid has emerged as the new leader of Scottish football.

Intrigued, by this notion I further noticed "Follow,follow" was making allegations of racism which upon investigation has apparently been perpetrated by the media, police, Celtic supporters, assorted Catholics and just about anyone who isn't a member of their local lodge, sorry that should read Rangers supporters club. Further investigation revealed that that poor innocent laddie El Hajj Doueff is unpopular with certain ex-Setanta employees and that he is the subject of barracking by opposition supporters. Surely, not I gasped awestruck at the suffering inflicted on the player himself, but also on the impeccably tolerant Rangers support. Whom I may add are no relation tp that bunch of Muppets who spent ninety minutes singing about something their fathers used to wear and refusing to surrender something, silly me I didn't even know there was a war on!

For years it suited both teams to play up to this divide.

What happened in Manchester came as a shock to everyone, except those of us in Scotland.

Listening to guys like Alan Brazil on radio, his only concern is the actual game and not the aftermath. What the rest of the world needs is for an OF game to be played at wembley or old trafford and see what happens after 90 mins.

Having been in a A&E just after and OF game, I can tell you it is horrendous. In the next cubicle were two celtic fans, who were brothers, covered in blood because they had been scrapping with each other!!!!

The OF - Two cheeks of the same arse indeed. :(

What happened in Manchester came as a shock to everyone, except those of us in Scotland.

Listening to guys like Alan Brazil on radio, his only concern is the actual game and not the aftermath. What the rest of the world needs is for an OF game to be played at wembley or old trafford and see what happens after 90 mins.

Having been in a A&E just after and OF game, I can tell you it is horrendous. In the next cubicle were two celtic fans, who were brothers, covered in blood because they had been scrapping with each other!!!!

To be more exact, it's been decades. Maybe well over a century.

Bollocks it is and you with a cop killer as your avatar and you call me ignorant and unfair and i wasn't talking about the paddies more the PLO

Don't take the bait, CJ. I doubt very much his choice of avatar has much to do with ignorance rather than what comes across as rather immature attention seeking. I'm guessing it's just a forum equivalent of small man syndrome.

You hear all this pish about passion and rivalry but what you have said there is it in a nutshell yet the morons who follow these two stains on our landscape are oblivious to it. Rangers and Celtic are one. They live and breath each other and Lawwell and Bain may as well be joined at the hip with the way they work together for Old Firm PLC. The fans may have this rivalry, but as clubs, as you so correctly put it they are two cheeks from the same repulsive a********e.

They will have their stories straight for these crisis talks this week and nothing will change. The spin machine will be working overtime to try and keep the police at bay so they can continue to work as one to line their manky pockets. Talk of not broadcasting games is fantasy stuff.

Edited by Vom Itorium

You hear all this pish about passion and rivalry but what you have said there is it in a nutshell yet the morons who follow these two stains on our landscape are oblivious to it. Rangers and Celtic are one. They live and breath each other and Lawwell and Bain may as well be joined at the hip with the way they work together for Old Firm PLC. The fans may have this rivalry, but as clubs, as you so correctly put it they are two cheeks from the same repulsive a********e.

They will have their stories straight for these crisis talks this week and nothing will change. The spin machine will be working overtime to try and keep the police at bay so they can continue to work as one to line their manky pockets. Talk of not broadcasting games is fantasy stuff.

Pretty much the way I see it too.

They are fully conjoined twins who are surgically inseparable; kill one and you kill the other. They breathe the same mutated oxygen, a gas which would asphyxiate any normal, healthy organisation.

Sometimes I wish there actually was a heaven and hell because I know which one that two headed monster would be going to.