The Change Of Shoot-Out

sigesige00

i love penalty shoot outs, it's all about nerves and front. everyone is on the edge of their chairs and watching. i love penalty shoot outs its pure entertainment. dont doctor it. thistle were crap at penalty shoot out til kenny arthur came along. they lost everyone i saw when i was a wee guy. dont doctor it

I'd pretty much go along with all of that. Our record for several years was truly abysmal, but in more recent times we've had more successes than disappointments, the worst being the 18-penalty shoot out against the tims at Porkheid when Trigger's goal was "ignored" by the officials.

They are definitely exciting. In fact I think I might die one day while watching Thistle in a penalty shoot-out.

But I'll be back for the next game.

We should replace the penalty shoot-out with a "dribble-out". The keeper has to stay on the line Until the player as first touched the ball, then the player has 10 seconds to dribble round the keeper. The ball must be dribbled into the net (i.e. the last touch from the dribbler must be within 2 feet of the goal-line and a goal is automatically awarded if the keeper makes contact with the player without taking the ball cleanly. If the player loses control of the ball then a horn should sound and they cannot continue.

Do you agree, siggy?

We should replace the penalty shoot-out with a "dribble-out". The keeper has to stay on the line Until the player as first touched the ball, then the player has 10 seconds to dribble round the keeper. The ball must be dribbled into the net (i.e. the last touch from the dribbler must be within 2 feet of the goal-line and a goal is automatically awarded if the keeper makes contact with the player without taking the ball cleanly. If the player loses control of the ball then a horn should sound and they cannot continue.

I'd broadly welcome that :thumbsup2: . I would tho' suggest instead of a horn sounding to mark an infringement that a match official (most likely the referee) blow a few notes on a trombone. For a clear goal other match officials (ideally the two linesmen) could sound off the first few bars of Coltrane's My Favorite Things on soprano sax.

I actually e mailed these suggestions to Gordon Smith when he was still at the SFA. In his reply he basically rubbished them. He was insistent on the ref being given a cornet and the linesmen each getting a baritone sax. The SFA are well rid of that bampot.

How about settling things by way of a fight between both managers in front of the dugout at full time :thinking:

Mind you I'm sure the police would have to intervene to make arrests for assault and there is no way the football authorities would let the participants manage any club again for a very long time. Also, I suppose there might be a risk that such an unprofessional incident might inflame trouble outside the ground so maybe not such a good idea after all.

Back to the drawing board.

How about settling things by way of a fight between both managers in front of the dugout at full time :thinking:

Mind you I'm sure the police would have to intervene to make arrests for assault and there is no way the football authorities would let the participants manage any club again for a very long time. Also, I suppose there might be a risk that such an unprofessional incident might inflame trouble outside the ground so maybe not such a good idea after all.

Back to the drawing board.

There wouldn't be just a faint hint of cynicism there, by any chance?

The present PK shoot-out is not a good way of deciding winners.

The shoot-out should be kicked not from the PK spot, but from the centre spot as the MLS in the USA did.

And, under the present rule, only 5 players kick. 5 is too small number. It should be 8, because there is the rule that the time when the number of one team is less than 8 the game is over.

And, there is no end-change. This is not fair, because of the supporters side may give the kickers some courage.

And, the order of kicking must not be ABABABABAB but ABBAABB... like Tennis' tie-break.

The shoot-out should be in this manner:

A team kick (1st)

B team kick (1st)

end change

B team kick (2nd)

A team kick (2nd)

A team kick (3rd)

B team kick (3rd)

end change

B team kick (4th)

A team kick (4th)

A team kick (5th)

B team kick (5th)

end change

B team kick (6th)

A team kick (6th)

A team kick (7th)

B team kick (7th)

end change

B team kick (8th)

A team kick (8th)

If there is still no winner after 16 kicks, then go to next stage

A team kick (1st)

B team kick (1st)

end change

B team kick (2nd)

A team kick (2nd)

This 4-kick decider continues until the winners are decided.

At what point do you get to do the hokey-cokey and shake it all about?

Deciding the winners by the number of corners is not so strange idea, because the offensive side will likely get more corners. If the numbers of corners are same, then we can decide the game by the number of throw-ins.

If that doesn't split the teams, a panel of local celebrities could adjudicate on which side's players has the most attractive burds and wives, or the fewest number of munters. The added bonus to this tie-break mechanism is that it would place the OF at a distinct disadvantage in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that they are a bit of a lottery is what makes them so good. If you made shoot-outs fairer then you'd end up with a draw and even more deliberation. Imagine after 8 penalties each it was still a tie, so you know that you're going to have to take at least two more each, and so on, it would be mental. If you can't beat a team after 120 mins (or in domestic cup games sometimes 210 minutes) then you deserve your fate to be decided in a lottery IMO.

Using the word "mental" in the negative sense was something I could not understand when I was in Glasgow. Is it a Scottish, or Glasgow specific way of using this word? Or is this word used in that sense in all-Britain?

Using the word "mental" in the negative sense was something I could not understand when I was in Glasgow. Is it a Scottish, or Glasgow specific way of using this word? Or is this word used in that sense in all-Britain?

Can you give me an example of a positive use of the word "mental"?

For example, "mental courage".

That's not really positive, is it? Otherwise I could offer mental breakdown and mental deficiency as negative examples, when in fact mental is an adjective for a 'negative' word.

And it's probably throughout Britain that people use the word mental with negative connotations, a colloquial term for describing someone that is mentally ill or in the process of becoming mentally unbalanced.