Half Time Announcer

Big Col

You had no need to apologise Lance !

The PC brigade are everywhere waiting to pounce on anyone who make's the slightest error of judgement.

Your biggest critic Ubertwat is clearly a person who is easily upset. Which will explain why he regularly enjoys dealing with Strathclyde / Lothian / Fife's finest !

Get a life is what springs to my mind !

Upset :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After jokes about the second prizes at a couple of other games recently, 2 week holiday in Egypt, trips to Libya etc. I think Lance was probably just trying to keep it going. he got it wrong this week. I'm sure he knows it, but I hope he doesn't feel he should chuck it or stop trying to brighten things up.

They are not really in better taste either...

It was bang out of order and it's not an over-reaction. This guy has an official position within the club and is essentially the voice of PTFC at half time.

A good mate of mine's brother is in Japan right now, indeed he was in Sindai when the earthquake struck but lived to tell the tale. It's not outwith the realms of possibility that a realtive of someone in the crowd was in Japan and faired much worse.

The guy is a clown anyway but at least his repetitive non-funny jokes about Clyde, Airdrie and Dundee can be filed under "rubbish football patter" but this was stupid.

The Champions League, Premiership, La Liga and 6 Nations have been holding moments of remembrance before games this past week to show solidarity with the people in Japan...at Firhill we just take the piss out of it instead.

And as someone above said if this had been said in front of 50,000 people at Ibrox or Parkhead people would be up in arms about it. Do you think there will be a half time joke about it at Hampden today?

I totally agree. SFA employees have been sacked for less. Don't tell Celtic about this or they will demand an enquiry!

shock :o

massive over reaction on thistle forum......again

people make mistakes, live with it

unless there is someone out there who has been directly affected by what's happened in Japan and wants to make a complaint, can the rest please get off there high horse and step a way from there glass houses and get a life PLEASE.

Lance, please do not feel that you have to make an apology unless you have had direct contact from some one who has been directly affected as shown above and that should be a private thing between you and them.

because more people are going to pick up on it and prob pass it on to the press.

not having a go at you just the situation.

bloody hell :mad2: this is whats wrong with this country, some makes a mistake and the world is ending.

some people need to get a grip on reality

Edited by jaggybunnet

IMO whether or not it caused serious offence to anyone is neither here nor there, I doubt there were many folk present who were actually offended by what was said, It's more a case of how innapropriate it was. If I want to pay money to listen to some bad taste topical comedy, I'll go watch Frankie Boyle, not Partick Thistle. I neither think it was clever or funny, but it did not actually 'offend' me either, just made me cringe.

The PA announcer is primarily the off field voice/face of the club on match days, and should just stick to what he's paid to do, read out the teams, club announcements, birthdays etc, especially at a time in our history when the 'Firhill experience' is already steadily becoming less and less enjoyable, for reasons discussed at length on this forum.

If Lance, or anyone get a laugh out of that kind of stuff then go for it, but just keep it between you and your mates down the pub, not over the PA at a Jags game.

IMO whether or not it caused serious offence to anyone is neither here nor there, I doubt there were many folk present who were actually offended by what was said, It's more a case of how innapropriate it was. If I want to pay money to listen to some bad taste topical comedy, I'll go watch Frankie Boyle, not Partick Thistle. I neither think it was clever or funny, but it did not actually 'offend' me either, just made me cringe.

The PA announcer is primarily the off field voice/face of the club on match days, and should just stick to what he's paid to do, read out the teams, club announcements, birthdays etc, especially at a time in our history when the 'Firhill experience' is already steadily becoming less and less enjoyable, for reasons discussed at length on this forum.

If Lance, or anyone get a laugh out of that kind of stuff then go for it, but just keep it between you and your mates down the pub, not over the PA at a Jags game.

Paid nothing.

I doubt very much that Lance hasn't taken on board the comments made.

Paid nothing.

I doubt very much that Lance hasn't taken on board the comments made.

Fair enough, I'm sure we all appreciate what he and many others do, for nothing more than their love of Thistle. I guess I just hope for a bit better from folk who I know share my beliefs in everything that's good about being red and yellow :)

Edited by Armin Tamzarian

shock :o

massive over reaction on thistle forum......again

people make mistakes, live with it

unless there is someone out there who has been directly affected by what's happened in Japan and wants to make a complaint, can the rest please get off there high horse and step a way from there glass houses and get a life PLEASE.

Lance, please do not feel that you have to make an apology unless you have had direct contact from some one who has been directly affected as shown above and that should be a private thing between you and them.

So if someone tells a joke about ethnic minorities or disabled kids I cant get offended..

I must be an insensitive old git. Offended, shocked, disgusted. Sometimes I can be all of those things. Though not very often. And certainly never over what an announcer says at a football ground of all places. I wonder how the posters who used these words would describe their feelings if they were actually faced with an event, not just a few regretted words uttered over a tannoy, which truly deserves them to be, offended, shocked, disgusted.

Perhaps a course of cognitive therapy would help the poor souls not to let a misguided attempt at a joke affect them so much.

For god’s sake get a grip and give Lance some peace.

Having spoken to Lance on a number of ocassions, I can vouch for the fact that he is a lovely chap and extremely Thistle minded.

What he said was a mistake, and from what I know of his character he will have recognised this almost immediately.

If I was him, I would be completely distraught at some of the comments on this thread. I can see both sides of the argument, but the guy must be in pieces to see it become a 4/5 page thread.

Let's leave it now, eh?