Half Time Announcer

Big Col

I was disgusted by the tasteless attempt at "humour" by the announcer (Lance is it?) at half time. Saying that the mystery prize is a timeshare in Japan is the lowest of the low.

Yeah, let's all joke about thousands losing their lives, thousands losing their homes and their livelihoods and possibly a nuclear disaster that could affect millions.

Very funny mate. I look forward to reading or hearing an apology from you.

And if you don't think it wasn't tasteless, you should chuck it cos that type of "humour" should be nowhere near Firhill.

Edited by Big Col

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was disgusted by the tasteless attempt at "humour" by the announcer (Lance is it?) at half time. Saying that the mystery prize is a timeshare in Japan is the lowest of the low.

Yeah, let's all joke about thousands losing their lives, thousands losing their homes and their livelihoods and possibly a nuclear disaster that could affect millions.

And if you don't think it wasn't tasteless, you should chuck it cos that type of "humour" should be nowhere near Firhill.

I did raise an eyebrow myself at his comment but ffs get a grip ! We all know what has happened in the last week we don't need you regurgitating it for effect !

Not his best move but as I said get a grip ffs !

I did raise an eyebrow myself at his comment but ffs get a grip ! We all know what has happened in the last week we don't need you regurgitating it for effect !

Not his best move but as I said get a grip ffs !

Don't think it's me who needs to get a grip.

Seen the jokes thread on the other forum recently?

The last time I checked, telling a joke on a football forum behind a veil of semi-anonymity is not the same as saying it over a public address system at a football match in a quasi-official capacity.

Agree Woody not his finest moment but a bit of over dramatics from the poster imho !

I was disgusted by the tasteless attempt at "humour" by the announcer (Lance is it?) at half time. Saying that the mystery prize is a timeshare in Japan is the lowest of the low.Yeah, let's all joke about thousands losing their lives, thousands losing their homes and their livelihoods and possibly a nuclear disaster that could affect millions.Very funny mate. I look forward to reading or hearing an apology from you.And if you don't think it wasn't tasteless, you should chuck it cos that type of "humour" should be nowhere near Firhill.

I would maybe agree that the comment was probably made a bit too soon after (during?) the event, but I think it is a bit over the top to infer that he was laughing, or asking us to laugh at, the list of events that you have given. I hope that you would appreciate that while Lance is often humourous, 'that type of humour' is not often a problem at Firhill. I dont personally think an apology is needed.

Do we ban knock, knock jokes? After all, to make one is to laugh at those who live alone, nervously fearing the outside world, and having to revert to shouting 'who's there?' at anyone who comes to their door.

Wonder if the responses on here would have been different if it had been said by the announcer at Ibrox or Parkhead?

This is a thistle forum for thistle fans. Why would any jags fan be aware of half time announcers at infirm games :thinking:

Sick to death of the politically correct pish that suddenly makes yer average person almost a person of disgust.

We really need to get a grip in this country before we are overtaken with this nonsense.

Agree. While a fan of tastless humour myself, there is a time and a place. Today was absolutely not the time, and probably not the best place either (although there could be worse places).

Don't think its a very serious offence though! No need for a taxi ;)

Prob not the best of comments but i've normally found lance to be very funny and indeed harmless.

Wonder if there would have been such a fuss had the team won ?

Big problem with humour, what one person finds funny, someone else will find offensive. I'm sure Lance meant no harm but probably would have been best not saying what he did.

Prob not the best of comments but i've normally found lance to be very funny and indeed harmless.

Wonder if there would have been such a fuss had the team won ?

Big problem with humour, what one person finds funny, someone else will find offensive. I'm sure Lance meant no harm but probably would have been best not saying what he did.

That shouldn't come into it at all, in my opinion.

I was waiting in the pie queue at half-time, so didn't hear it. Bang out of order though.

The last time I checked, telling a joke on a football forum behind a veil of semi-anonymity is not the same as saying it over a public address system at a football match in a quasi-official capacity.

Not the point I was trying (and clearly failing) to make, but since you raise it, is an offensive statement less offensive the fewer people that hear it? Somebody told me a racist joke the other day. Should I only be marginally disgusted because I was the only one heard that heard it? And out of curiosity, where exactly did you "check"? That would be a handy thing to know.

It was bang out of order and it's not an over-reaction. This guy has an official position within the club and is essentially the voice of PTFC at half time.

A good mate of mine's brother is in Japan right now, indeed he was in Sindai when the earthquake struck but lived to tell the tale. It's not outwith the realms of possibility that a realtive of someone in the crowd was in Japan and faired much worse.

The guy is a clown anyway but at least his repetitive non-funny jokes about Clyde, Airdrie and Dundee can be filed under "rubbish football patter" but this was stupid.

The Champions League, Premiership, La Liga and 6 Nations have been holding moments of remembrance before games this past week to show solidarity with the people in Japan...at Firhill we just take the piss out of it instead.

And as someone above said if this had been said in front of 50,000 people at Ibrox or Parkhead people would be up in arms about it. Do you think there will be a half time joke about it at Hampden today?

I'm not going to defend the indefensible although I half-know the guy concerned, who I think is a good lad who is undoubtedly "Thistle minded". He's come out with a howler, but nothing that has any repercussions for the future welfare of PTFC.

Compare and contrast that with the antics of our board of misdirectors over the past few seasons and you will maybe see where I am coming from.

Mistake made, move on.

And to add to my post above I just remembered that the wee cousin of the guy in Japan is a regular at Firhill and a former mascot and ball boy. I wonder if he was in the crowd yesterday and what he thought of it...wonder what he would've thought of it if his cousin had been killed in the earthquake?

I must say, I wasn't at the game, but who cares? You hear lots of things at the football that aren't kind to many people's delicate ears. You must realise that the world and our society is like this nowadays, sick jokes are everywhere these days, if you don't like it, don't laugh, and don't come on a forum and start a fire about it either, because there are much sicker jokes out there.

That shouldn't come into it at all, in my opinion.

I was waiting in the pie queue at half-time, so didn't hear it. Bang out of order though.

Your right it shouldn't come into it. I'm also not suggesting it was appropriate because it wasn't. I do feel there was no malice intended and it was a silly mistake.

I just feel some on here will have been angry at the defeat yesterday and on the back of that opted to have go , when, had we won, they may not have said anything.

I also feel given what some deem acceptable to post on here towards McCall, players, staff, then may be we'd be better taking a long hard look at ourselves before we start having such a go at others.

We've all said things we shouldn't have and (hopefully) regretted. Lance has done the same.

I must say, I wasn't at the game, but who cares? You hear lots of things at the football that aren't kind to many people's delicate ears. You must realise that the world and our society is like this nowadays, sick jokes are everywhere these days, if you don't like it, don't laugh, and don't come on a forum and start a fire about it either, because there are much sicker jokes out there.

So if it had been a timeshare for an apartment on the 100th floor of the World Trade Centre or a beachside villa in Phuket that would've been okay as well? Would it be okay for OF half time announcers to openly make jokes over their tannoy about IRA bombings or Bloody Sunday?

It's not a question of having delicate ears but comments like that make him look like a twat and make the club look like twats for employing such a twat.