The Liberal Democrats And The Scottish Parliament

The Devil's Point

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what you think about anything else, if the Scottish electorate replaces Salmond, Sturgeon, Swinney and McAskill with Iain Gray and Charlie Gordon that would be the final nail in the coffin for me in terms of having any faith whatsoever in the Scottish electorate.

Throw in

as well

• 2 weeks later...

I think Labour spending the week before polling date lording it up as if they'd already won the election turned a lot of people off. And then Kinnock went to Sheffield........

I don't think the Liberal Democrat vote will reduce significantly. There's never been a period when voting Liberal Democrats seemed to amount to much but there was a solid core who did so. That core has continued through the three Holyrood elections largely unchanged.

I think they will drop votes but I don't think it will be as substantial as some polls might make out (Holyrood polls are all over the place and some are tending to support my view). The question will be where these votes drop off and how this impacts on seats - some FPTP losses may be countered by gaining a seat from the list giving the compensatory manner of the Additional Member System we use.

I do, however, hope that Glasgow becomes a Lib Dem free area. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!!

Anyway, three cheers for Hugh O'Donnell - he is spot on to point out the authoritarian tendencies within the Scottish Liberal Democrats. I'd like to think he'd get re-elected as an Independent but I don't know what his local profile is like. If it's good, then he might have a chance.

As for me, I'll be voting SNP in the regional list largely because the prospect of Iain Gray as First Minister is frightening. The SNP have a competent team and I'd like to see them continue. I would rather that they are able to form some kind of coalition or at least come to a confidence and supply arrangement to allow them more room for manoeuvre.

I've always thought that in practise the policies of the Labour Party and the SNP were actually fairly similar. With the obvious exception of independence. However, at a practical level it would not be over egging the issue to suggest that each party loathes the other. So absolutely no go their. I think that the result will be tight and I for one would not like to predict the outcome, but my guess for what its worth is another SNP minority administration.

It always irks me that the unionist parties require their father-figures from London to come to Scotland to run the show before the election takes place. Or at least to give the impression of running the show. In other words, yes, have your wee election, but don't forget that we in London are the ones that will decide what goes on in the Scotland, not you.

And the unionist party "leaders" in Scotland of course lick the *rses of their London leaders, hoping for a peerage one day.

It always irks me that the unionist parties require their father-figures from London to come to Scotland to run the show before the election takes place. Or at least to give the impression of running the show. In other words, yes, have your wee election, but don't forget that we in London are the ones that will decide what goes on in the Scotland, not you.

And the unionist party "leaders" in Scotland of course lick the *rses of their London leaders, hoping for a peerage one day.

Spot on. They have no self respect.