The Glorious City End

northernsoul

Packed City End

The 1993/94 season saw three teams relegated to make way for a 10 team division the next season. With Dundee and Raith Rovers already relegated it was down to Hearts, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle to fight it out to avoid the last relegation position.

We lost our final league game to Hearts at Firhill - 0v1 but survived by a single goal, on goal difference, condemning St. Johnstone to relegation.

The Shed had been knocked down after the previous home game and you can see the construction work along the pitch, the television cameras were, consequently closer to the pitch. With the Shed gone our support was shifted into the City End and the Main Stand. The City End was packed and full of colour - nice shot of the Woodside Inn banner.

Hearts brought a healthy support too, filling the entire North Terrace.

Massive game, big crowd, Firhill in the sun. Superb footage.

Edited by northernsoul

I think that footage shows you what the rugby has done to the pitch.Near perfect in May compared to what we have now.

If you look at the video highlights on the OS from the season we pushed St. Johnstone close for the title, the pitch is near perfect also, but has been used for the rugby as you can see the lines.

Hearts put on free supporters buses on for this game. I managed to get a lift through from Edinburgh on one, with my scarf hidden away in a jacket pocket. Lots of wifes and kids who took advantage of the free bus and went shopping on Glasgow. Wasn't this the game where Gerry Collins was banned from the touchline and so donned a hard-hat and stood on the other side, on the unfinnished Jackie Husband stand? Very clever.

Hearts put on free supporters buses on for this game. I managed to get a lift through from Edinburgh on one, with my scarf hidden away in a jacket pocket. Lots of wifes and kids who took advantage of the free bus and went shopping on Glasgow. Wasn't this the game where Gerry Collins was banned from the touchline and so donned a hard-hat and stood on the other side, on the unfinnished Jackie Husband stand? Very clever.

No, if memory serves me right, Collins donned the hard hat and went into the Jackie Husband on the first home game of the season v's Kilmarnock. Jags won 1-0 that day thats to a McGlashan goal.

Collins really peed the ref off that day.

I remember being in the City end for the Hearts game. Was an awful game and remember the dread I felt when Hearts scored.

On a more happy note, remember the cold night when "the ghost" scored only goal of the game (again against Killie, i think), then subsequently ran over the ball boy while he celebrated. Happy days.

On a more happy note, remember the cold night when "the ghost" scored only goal of the game (again against Killie, i think), then subsequently ran over the ball boy while he celebrated. Happy days.

Before my time as a jag, however I'm sure that ball boy was/is a poster on one of the forums.

No, if memory serves me right, Collins donned the hard hat and went into the Jackie Husband on the first home game of the season v's Kilmarnock. Jags won 1-0 that day thats to a McGlashan goal.

I remember being in the City end for the Hearts game. Was an awful game and remember the dread I felt when Hearts scored.

Jags won 2-0 that day (13th August 1994) with goals from Isaac English and Derek McWilliams

The Game

The game itself -

That was a great day. Lots of good memories; the nerves, the great atmosphere, the sight of both sets of fans twirling the scarfs in their thousands behind the goals, and then everyone staying in the stadium after the final whistle with ears glued to the radios waiting on the St Johnstone result.

The post match party at the Woodside afterwards was fantastic too. The place was a shrine to the Jags back then.

92-93 we beat Airdrie 1-0 at Firhill on the opening day of the season.

Don't have the book in front of me right now, but I'm fairly sure David Irons was the scorer.

Can remember a McGlashan goal, running clean through on goal. Just can't remember who against. May be it was Dundee. Might have been 2-0 with Shaw getting the other.

Can remember a McGlashan goal, running clean through on goal. Just can't remember who against. May be it was Dundee. Might have been 2-0 with Shaw getting the other.

Again, don't have the book to hand, but IIRC Colin McGlashan's only goal in the premier for the Jags was in a 2-1 loss at Tynecastle.

And I think the late Justin Fashanu got red carded that day too.

But there again my memory could be talking falsely. and not for the first time.................

Packed City End

The 1993/94 season saw three teams relegated to make way for a 10 team division the next season. With Dundee and Raith Rovers already relegated it was down to Hearts, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle to fight it out to avoid the last relegation position.

We lost our final league game to Hearts at Firhill - 0v1 but survived by a single goal, on goal difference, condemning St. Johnstone to relegation.

The Shed had been knocked down after the previous home game and you can see the construction work along the pitch, the television cameras were, consequently closer to the pitch. With the Shed gone our support was shifted into the City End and the Main Stand. The City End was packed and full of colour - nice shot of the Woodside Inn banner.

Hearts brought a healthy support too, filling the entire North Terrace.

Massive game, big crowd, Firhill in the sun. Superb footage.

Sh*t game and performance though, and we were crapping it once they scored.

92-93 we beat Airdrie 1-0 at Firhill on the opening day of the season.

Don't have the book in front of me right now, but I'm fairly sure David Irons was the scorer.

He was. Remember it like it was yesterday. I'm sure that was the first game with the new back pass rule.

Again, don't have the book to hand, but IIRC Colin McGlashan's only goal in the premier for the Jags was in a 2-1 loss at Tynecastle.

And I think the late Justin Fashanu got red carded that day too.

But there again my memory could be talking falsely. and not for the first time.................

May be the game I'm thinking of was in the first division. Did McGlashan not score in the 3-2 win at fir park ?

One of my favourite players was McGlashan.

• Members

The Hearts game mentioned in the OP, I'm sure ended 1-0 to Hearts with an Alan McLaren goal in the dying moments. Both sides only needed a draw to survive and it looked like they were playing out the draw in an extremely drab match only for Hearts to score the winner near the end. Fortunately at ended well in any case.

The Hearts game mentioned in the OP, I'm sure ended 1-0 to Hearts with an Alan McLaren goal in the dying moments. Both sides only needed a draw to survive and it looked like they were playing out the draw in an extremely drab match only for Hearts to score the winner near the end. Fortunately at ended well in any case.

I posted a link to the game on youtube mate, in the first post.