Who's Next?

Steven H

My choice, if he was interested, would be Stevie Frail, who is currently doing youth coaching at Celtic.

We are, as you rightly highlight, severely financially constrained, and could not afford the wages of the names mentioned (two of whom have been between jobs for some time, the other is currently employed by a run-of-the-mill first division team operating under serious financial constraints).

It's a fair assumption that Stevie Frail is well rewarded at Celtic, would not the same affordability criteria apply to him?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the Morton fans on P&B don’t make much of Moore, I don’t think I’d want him either, did a good turn at Stirling but has failed to kick on with Morton who have one of the bigger budgets going in this league. Gus McPherson also renowned for playing terrible but effective football, even at our effective best we would struggle to get out of this league in the current format, I think I’d rather go with someone who will play more exciting football.

Jimmy C or McGhee may provide that but would either of them come to a wee diddy club like ours?

Is John Hughes not kind of well known for giving youngsters a chance? That could be what we need but Falkirk fans fell out with him long before their ship started to sink, why was that?

Jackie Mac getting a few games before summer is a good thing, if he does well we could do worse than give him the job on a full time basis. The Coyles and Adams’ or this world need their first gig somewhere.

At least Thistle has become somewhat exciting again due to all of this.

Here's a suggestion that will be howled down - Alex Miller. Miller did well at Easter Road. He also did a good job as first-team coach at Liverpool under Rafa Benitez. Miller is now out of work but I doubt that we could afford him. He could be a good appointment for Killie.

Here's a suggestion that will be howled down - Alex Miller. Miller did well at Easter Road. He also did a good job as first-team coach at Liverpool under Rafa Benitez. Miller is now out of work but I doubt that we could afford him. He could be a good appointment for Killie.

Not a bad shout, though he could probably earn megabucks as a coach down south again.

Incidentally, it's clear from Roughie's book that Roughie can't stand him, doesn't think he has much talent.

Not really fussed who we appoint cant see us getting Calderwood Hughes Nicholl McPherson they would all command to high a wage and probably wouldnt want the job anyway due to our financial plight. Its going to have to be someone with no or very little experience and unless we strike it lucky and make a good appointment i cant see next season being better than this one.

Mon The Jags!

Jimmy Nicholl would be my shout. You only have to look what he has achieved at Cowdenbeath this season. He has proved he can get a competitive team on the park with sod all money to work with.

I wish McNamara well for he remainder of the season but, in my opinion we can't afford to appoint a rookie. Our financial position compared to when Britton/Whyte were appointed is completely different. We had the SPL parachute payment and our debt was no where near as high as it is now. Personally, I don't think we can't afford to take another risk like this in the long term.

If it turned out to be another Britton/Whyte mistake I would seriously be worried for the Club.

Not really fussed who we appoint cant see us getting Calderwood Hughes Nicholl McPherson they would all command to high a wage and probably wouldnt want the job anyway due to our financial plight.

How have you come to the conclusion Nicholl would command a high wage? Do you think he did to the Cowdenbeath BoD?

I completely disagree that if Nicholl was faced with either managing Cowdenbeath or Partick Thistle that he would knock back the chance of moving to a much bigger Club.

Cannot, simply cannot believe that Maitland, Hughes and Duffy are on the wanted list.

- Maitland has presided over the steady decline of Alloa from Division 2 promotion hopefuls to relegation candidates.

- Hughes is a moronic bell-end, whose mastery of the English language falls beneath that of most on here. Also, hasn't got a clue how to change a game, use the players he has, use the media etc. I would gladly swim across the channel to prevent him becoming manager. He is so typical of the type of manager that keeps scottish football back in the stone age.

- Jim Duffy has relegation written all over him. The mini-revival at Clyde means nothing unless he can really improve them next season. Anyone under the sun could have improved that Clyde team.

Some other names:

- Calderwood: Another "scoatish fitba" man. Big centre-halves and long punts. No thanks.

- Jimmy Nicholl: See above. (Also seems to get on with Donald Findlay)

- McGhee: A clown and too expensive.

I just pray that things will go well with Jackie McNamara, as the alternatives look awful. It will be interesting to see how he performs, specifically as hiring young managers seems to be the fashionable thing now. My only fear is that it fails so often e.g. Pressley at Falkirk, O'Neil at Stirling Albion. Hopefully he can be more like Eddie Howe at Bournemouth for example, showing a freshness in the team and some new ideas, not just the same tinkering between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 as seemed to be the only meangingful change we could make under McCall. On McCall himself, thanks for 4 reasonable years and some good memories.

Edited by The Terminator

I think some of us need a reality check. There's not a hope in hell that people like Calderwood, Hughes, McGhee, etc. are going to be interested in working under our constraints. We are a run-of-the-mill First Division club who are financially crippled. Even trying to pluck a lower-league manager is going to cost us money we can ill-afford.

There has been a recent trend of teams appointing a caretaker manager, getting excited by the fact he's won a couple of games and then offer them a permanent contract. It very rarely works; the only two I can think of are Brian McDermott at Reading and Paul Martin at Albion Rovers (who has done a decent job there, by the way).

I hope that, irrelevant of how well Jackie does, we advertise the job.

My choice, if he was interested, would be Stevie Frail, who is currently doing youth coaching at Celtic.

Who is apparently very happy where he is and has no designs on becoming a manager in his own right.

Really dont want Mcnamara to get the job. We must advertise and appoint the best opition. Have we learned nothing from Gerry and Derek?

Edited by Gonzaga

How have you come to the conclusion Nicholl would command a high wage? Do you think he did to the Cowdenbeath BoD?

I completely disagree that if Nicholl was faced with either managing Cowdenbeath or Partick Thistle that he would knock back the chance of moving to a much bigger Club.

Was purely working on the assumption of the Rangers connection given that Nicholl played there and Donald Finlay is chairman of Cowdenbeath and may be helping with Nicholls wages. I never said anywhere that Nicholl would knock us back i just think that he has a proven track record as an assistant and as a manager and with our board cutting all costs he may and i stress may be a bit too rich for us. If it was asa simple as he manages us or Cowdenbeath then yeah i would imagine he would plump for us. I know i should never assume anything as it just makes an ass out of u and me

Lot of nonsense as usual from the Uriah Heeps on this board who seem to exult in the fact that the club have little cash and because of the craven ineptitude of a previous/current board a growing debt problem.

There are perhaps 15/16 serious full time managerial jobs in Scotland. There are a number of managers out there (with various pedigrees) who are currently out of work. Far more in number if we extend the job search to England. Could the happy brigade please explain why someone out of a job would seriously turn down ANY legitimate position which would get him back into media attention. All these guys have egos and all think that they will succeed and whilst most will think that they can use us as a stepping stone they will seriously consider any offer of employment. Sorry, but even with our idiots we have a lot to offer prospective employees and our lack of funds won`t even really be an issue.

Anyone who seriously thinks that Nichol would turn us down to stay at Cowdenbeath is a moron.

Have heard some good suggestions, and some which have made me shudder.

For me it would be Maitland (good job outside of football tho, so unlikely), Moore (would he leave Morton for the Jags?) and wouldn't mind Jackie gettin it permanently if he gets good results between now and the end of the season.

Shuddery ones, Grady, McPherson, Duffy and Chisholm.

Who do you want, and why?

Mate, to be honest, you're suggestions are opposite way about for me, Maitland and Moore would be non-starters and McPherson or Duffy would be more than suitable in my opinion.

I was disappointed when Duffy was in the Dundee job in 2003 and was not available to take over from Lambie, we ended up with a string of disasters after that.

Jim Duffy with Gianluca Vialli as assistant. Sorted.

I heard it will be John Lambie with Rafa Benitez as his assistant. Rafa said that Lambie's swearing would not be a problem. He had put up with much worse in Liverpool for 6 years.