Who's Next?

Steven H

That would be the same Gus who whilst at st mirren, didn't know the name of one youth player, didn't attend any youth games, didn't speak to any staff at the club, locked himself in his office, bullied and ran the team on fear.

And whilst manager of a team in a league cup final, facing a team of 9 men, didn't think, pass them into tiredness, attack them in the spaces?

No the tactical genius sat and defended and had his team punt the ball to 9 man rangers centre halfs until the obvious happened!

Possibly only beaten into 2nd place by elvis as an absolute fckin cretin of a manager.

Can't comment on all the bullying speculation and locking himself in an office, but the youth team thing im sure isnt true. im sure he brought through a few, young mcginn who's at watford now is the only that springs to mind at the minute. lambie is hero worshipped on here, and yet he never paid any attention to our youth system. May sound controversial, yeh he was a legend for us, but a few of thistles current problems rest with the regime 10 years ago management included, for not thinking ahead and ploughing money at journeymen instead of youth coaches.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the same Gus who whilst at st mirren, didn't know the name of one youth player, didn't attend any youth games, didn't speak to any staff at the club, locked himself in his office, bullied and ran the team on fear.

And whilst manager of a team in a league cup final, facing a team of 9 men, didn't think, pass them into tiredness, attack them in the spaces?

No the tactical genius sat and defended and had his team punt the ball to 9 man rangers centre halfs until the obvious happened!

Possibly only beaten into 2nd place by elvis as an absolute fckin cretin of a manager.

Can we take it that you don't think Gus is the man for the job?

A lot of the names mentioned on here make me shudder!

However there are a few managers that would be worth a look. First up a complete wildcard who I know we can't afford, so there is no need to draw my attention to it, so here goes...Csaba László, who is currently a trainer at Du Pays de Charleroi of Belgium. He has tons of charisma and someone who could draw the fans back to Firhill...but we are skinto, so he can be scored off straight away.

My first choice would be Jackie McNamara at the moment, he has tons of football knowledge and lots of contacts through his travels. My friend was also in the U-19's when he played for Aberdeen and he says that he takes a great interest in youth development, so he would take up where McCall left off in that respect.

There are a few more outsiders that are perhaps worth a wee look, Jim Leishman for example is director of football of Dunfermline, I don't know however if he would want to get back into football management, but he certainly would not be high on my list. John Collins is also without a team, but he has had 2 bad previous managerial spells already so again not high on my list. And even the though of Richard Gough gives me shivers.

So Jackie it is for me.

I'm totally apathetic as to who takes over as I don't see anyone doing the circuit that I believe can get us challenging for promotion with the constraints in place at Firhill.

If McNamara, Donnelly, Cameron and let's not forget Britton continue to try to bring on the young players and use the scouting network McCall put in place to try to unearth some Junior gems then I think that really is the best we can hope for.

The Gus McPhersons, Jim Duffys and other usual suspects really don't excite me at all when they're not going to have a pot to piss in. I really do think that our best option may be to stick with the status quo and try to build on the good team spirit that seems to exist within the club and hope that with everyone else having to cut their cloth next season we can be a bit more consistent than this year and possibly mount a challenge.

I'm totally apathetic as to who takes over as I don't see anyone doing the circuit that I believe can get us challenging for promotion with the constraints in place at Firhill.

If McNamara, Donnelly, Cameron and let's not forget Britton continue to try to bring on the young players and use the scouting network McCall put in place to try to unearth some Junior gems then I think that really is the best we can hope for.

The Gus McPhersons, Jim Duffys and other usual suspects really don't excite me at all when they're not going to have a pot to piss in. I really do think that our best option may be to stick with the status quo and try to build on the good team spirit that seems to exist within the club and hope that with everyone else having to cut their cloth next season we can be a bit more consistent than this year and possibly mount a challenge.

I certainly don't believe McNamara & Co should be judged principally on the results of the remaining 4 games & Saturday's draw. Further to that there should be absolutely no situation arising where Cameron is under any pressure to leave. That could arise from either him feeling obliged to follow JMcN & SD out the door or uncertainty of the next manager's plans.

The problem of not using results as a yardstick is who is going to judge the current management team and just what qualities will they be looking for. I just pray that when Beattie says he'll be seeking outside help in assessing who gets the manager's job he's asking the right people.

I know the pitfalls of selecting a Dynamic Duo Mark II but, because this time round as Vom says we don't have a pot to piss in, it may be more sensible keeping this in house.

I certainly don't believe McNamara & Co should be judged principally on the results of the remaining 4 games & Saturday's draw. Further to that there should be absolutely no situation arising where Cameron is under any pressure to leave. That could arise from either him feeling obliged to follow JMcN & SD out the door or uncertainty of the next manager's plans.

The problem of not using results as a yardstick is who is going to judge the current management team and just what qualities will they be looking for. I just pray that when Beattie says he'll be seeking outside help in assessing who gets the manager's job he's asking the right people.

I know the pitfalls of selecting a Dynamic Duo Mark II but, because this time round as Vom says we don't have a pot to piss in, it may be more sensible keeping this in house.

I think - whether or not they would be the best management team - MacNamara/Donnelly (with Cameron/Britton continuing with the youth teams) would not be as dodgy a risk as the old Dynamic Duo. They'd no experience then and there was nothing to show they'd any management qualities. But Donnelly and MacNamara have been coaching the youth all season and I think someone posted that Macnamara had been involved in some of the signing deals (loans).

Also I think both of them will have wider contacts and are big enough names (at our level anyway) to command respect from players, which is vital in management. So, while I can believe there are better options out there I don't think they'd be a really bad option. And, if it came down to choosing between appointing someone with a management reputation but not interested in our youth teams (they might want to cut them to get a bit more money for better players) and Macnamara/Donnelly who'd support the youth structure, then I'd go for the new duo.

A lot of the Morton fans on P&B don’t make much of Moore, I don’t think I’d want him either, did a good turn at Stirling but has failed to kick on with Morton who have one of the bigger budgets going in this league. Gus McPherson also renowned for playing terrible but effective football, even at our effective best we would struggle to get out of this league in the current format, I think I’d rather go with someone who will play more exciting football.

Jimmy C or McGhee may provide that but would either of them come to a wee diddy club like ours?

Is John Hughes not kind of well known for giving youngsters a chance? That could be what we need but Falkirk fans fell out with him long before their ship started to sink, why was that?

Jackie Mac getting a few games before summer is a good thing, if he does well we could do worse than give him the job on a full time basis. The Coyles and Adams’ or this world need their first gig somewhere.

At least Thistle has become somewhat exciting again due to all of this.

... because the majority of Falkirk fans, even including the Old Firm, are THE most fickle, moany fans in Scottish football with a serious chip on their shoulder and live in a fantasy world perhaps?

A First Division championship, five seasons in the SPL, 10 minutes from a top 6 finish, a League Cup semi, a Scottish Cup final, Europe and a decent brand of football (albeit mainly sideways, tippy-tappy, goal-less stuff) - all while dealing with one of, or the, lowest budgets in the top flight - just wasn't enough for the Bairns when it came to Yogi. I think they claim nowadays it was his 'ego' that p1ssed them off. I'd take an ego any day in return for all that and another trip to Europe (Metz anyone?) with the Jags. Third top this year isn't good enough either, because they want to go back to getting beat every weeek in a higher division instead, and, as a result, Pressley must go now (!) or they won't be renewing their season tickets, Goddammit. One look at the most humourous infighting OneF forum shows all that - even Jobby appears like he's already being run out of Falkirk, like Lambie was (literally), and he hasn't even got the job.

Saying that, Hughes isn't the answer for us - part of his 'success', i.e. what most 'normal' fans would deem as being anyway, was due to his passion for FFC as a former player and captain.

I'd give Jackie a chance ...