That Gretna Game

phoenix1876

Im wondering if anyone has got the video of it, my family refer to it as "that gretna game".

as we all remember gretna demolished near enough everyone in the lower leagues

and we played this one time at firhill, midway through the season. We were 3-0 down as gretna had done so to previous opponents before them

me and my dad were at the game, ragin like the rest of the crowd at our performance.

my dad recieved a phone call from my mum who was in the city centre shopping at the time wanting us to pick her up.

80 mins had been played with no hope in hell of us coming back (oh i was wrong).

my father and i departed quickly. walked the wee trek to our car which we parked quite a distance away.

got into the car, couldnt bare to turn on the radio.

got stuck in traffic on the way there so my dad turned on the radio to the one phrase which i did, yet did not want to here

and it will be stuck with me for the rest of my life.

Because i guess thats what being a jags fan is all about, the obscurities of football.

"AND ITS A REMARKABLE COME BACK FROM THISTLE"

would you believe i think it was 7 mins remaining

and we somehow managed to have scraped a draw.

Ive never been more happy and ragin in my life

me, my bro and dad left at 3-0 aswell, heading back home to lennoxtown we couldnt bare turning the radio on as we were sick, got to torrance and heard 3-3 and couldnt believe it, i still dnt think ive seen super dorrans overhead kick

That was against Peterhead in what was an otherwise dire depressing defeat.

Probably one of the worst games I've ever attended. I felt sick to my stomach when their third goal went in, and thought, "nah, my masochism has finally reached it's limit." Rite oot I went, the only game I've ever left early.

When my Father arrived home to tell me we'd actually drawn the match, I didn't feel good or bad; maybe it was brilliant to see us come back into the game, but what I did see is still in my Top Ten miserable moments in life. I just had to depart.

Took a mate from work to that game and he brought his wee boy with him. trying to get them to convert to the Jags and to join us every 2nd week at Firhill.

0-3 down and I am getting all sorts of abuse and his boy is not enjoying it one bit. Had to really work hard on persuading him to stay.

By the end of the game 3-3 and the place is electric. Turned to my mate with a big grin and said "welcome to the world of Thistle" :lol: Since been back to quite a few games with his boy :thumbsup2:

Im wondering if anyone has got the video of it, my family refer to it as "that gretna game".

as we all remember gretna demolished near enough everyone in the lower leagues

and we played this one time at firhill, midway through the season. We were 3-0 down as gretna had done so to previous opponents before them

me and my dad were at the game, ragin like the rest of the crowd at our performance.

my dad recieved a phone call from my mum who was in the city centre shopping at the time wanting us to pick her up.

80 mins had been played with no hope in hell of us coming back (oh i was wrong).

my father and i departed quickly. walked the wee trek to our car which we parked quite a distance away.

got into the car, couldnt bare to turn on the radio.

got stuck in traffic on the way there so my dad turned on the radio to the one phrase which i did, yet did not want to here

and it will be stuck with me for the rest of my life.

Because i guess thats what being a jags fan is all about, the obscurities of football.

"AND ITS A REMARKABLE COME BACK FROM THISTLE"

would you believe i think it was 7 mins remaining

and we somehow managed to have scraped a draw.

Ive never been more happy and ragin in my life

I believe this is what you are looking for :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re2epm6Uuj8

Took a mate from work to that game and he brought his wee boy with him. trying to get them to convert to the Jags and to join us every 2nd week at Firhill.

0-3 down and I am getting all sorts of abuse and his boy is not enjoying it one bit. Had to really work hard on persuading him to stay.

By the end of the game 3-3 and the place is electric. Turned to my mate with a big grin and said "welcome to the world of Thistle" :lol: Since been back to quite a few games with his boy :thumbsup2:

I wasn't there but that reminds me of one time I nearly left. Remember that game against Rangers at Firhill, where we took the lead through Geordie Shaw, then lost 4-1. The 4th goal (I think) was a shot from almost the halfway line, from Mark Hateley, which somehow bounced over Craig Nelson's dive and ended up in the net. I was pig sick by then and started walking round to leave, slowly, then stood behind some fat ugly Rangers fan (no segregation then) who said something like "this is like taking sweeties from weans" and that got me annoyed the other way, so I determined to stay, and went back towards the shed again, to tough out the rest of the game, and get away from that moron. Since then I've decided I'll never leave a game early. It couldn't get much worse than that day, but I don't blame anybody else if they do leave.

I also remember McCoist's last gasp winner on the last night of the Shed, and how I saw some Rangers animal screaming triumphantly in a Jags fans face who was beside him. I'll never understand how he kept his dignity, and his fists in his pocket. Grr. Not pleasant memories but if you support teams like Thistle in a country like this then you need a thick skin.

Edited by beep0608

Nice big smile on my face now. And that's in spite of seeing the likes of Darren Brady, Grant Murray......

Highlights never showed the chance at the death when we could have nicked it 4-3 !

Anyone else remember that ? obviously not the shysters that sneaked out for the early bus lol !

What a match to remember.

I stayed - but only so I could give the team a piece of my mind at full time when we had inevitably conceded the 4th and 5th goals!

My mate who was a Dundee United fan came with me that day, it was quite simply unbelievable. Dorrans was absolutely immense and McConalogue scored his best goal for the club that day!