How Did You Get Into Thistle

phoenix1876

Back in the late 70s thistle came up for a match (cant remember if it was cup or a friendly) against Buckie thistle (my local team), as all my mates were smeltic/h*ns or worse the HARdons fans so I started to follow thistle, simples :fan:

I seem to remember the last time this came up someone called me a glory hunter for doing this :shok:

Glory hunter and jags fan surely dont go together :surprised:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the late 70s thistle came up for a match (cant remember if it was cup or a friendly) against Buckie thistle (my local team), as all my mates were smeltic/h*ns or worse the HARdons fans so I started to follow thistle, simples :fan:

I seem to remember the last time this came up someone called me a glory hunter for doing this :shok:

Glory hunter and jags fan surely dont go together :surprised:

I think you got that right! Are we masochists or what? Whatever, we're a different breed to the glory hunters, and we know who they are.

i had 2 football playing uncles,bobby henderson and willie thornton,could have gone either way but my father and his brother had a soft spot for the thistle so the die was set,spent a couple of seasons as a ball boy and that was that,anyway why be one of millions,better to be amongst the few,heres tae us

My old man was from Cardiff and found his way to Glasgow via London and on arrival needed a team to support, he couldn't go for either of the old firm so popped for Thistle.

He used to take me along before I could walk and bribed me with opal fruits and um bongo throughout my childhood to keep me going.

During my early years aged around 7-9 years old I think i just supported who my friends were supporting and to my eternal shame my mother bought me a feckin Rangers Packed Lunch Box for school :( ...which a couple of my H*n pals still remind me about until this day.

I had allready been to Firhill around 1986 with my late father and grandfather who were both Jags fans coming from Ruchill....The date I remember or well not quite at this moment in time is the h*ns cup defeat to Hamilton when a certain Mr Lambie was in charge....From that date forth I have been 100% Jags...when my Dad and Grandad didnt take me along I actually used to sneak along by myself saving up pocket money...jumped on the 19a from milngavie and went to the games myself i was only around 11 or 12 at the time this was back in 1988/89 and i think it was about £2 to get in for a child...

Been hooked ever since and now a father myself have started the brainwashing of my eldest son..who i took to his first game aged just 3 :).i have to add he now 8 and is still not

totally convinced..however when asked which team he supports he does declare "Thistle" :D

Thistle till i die

Growing up I just supported the team everyone in my primary school supported; with Rangers in the middle of their nine-in-a-row and my school on the edge of Partick it had to be Rangers. I had never been to a game, but knew all their players and saw McCoist as a legend.

When I started secondary school, none of my friends there were really into football, and a couple of people in my class told me I couldn't be a Rangers fan if I'd never seen them. A friend who lived round the corner from me, who was (and still is) a Celtic and Thistle fan asked if we wanted to go to Firhill, and from then on I went to every home game, and despite that being the season we were relegated by Ayr on the final day of the season, I returned the following year with a season ticket. I really do wish I remembered what game was my first game, but I imagine it was a typically boring 0-0 or even 0-1.

About 10 years ago I had a Celtic top due to my grandparents being Celtic fans and me not knowing any better I opted to go along with it. Until my dad took me to see Thistle against, I think, Raith Rovers and the rest, as they say, is history. I do tend to thank him now and again from plucking me from the bigots.

My Dad was a Celtic fan but grew up in the Barracks. He would go to Parkhead a lot with his brother but gave up going regularly in the late 70s. He would go along to Firhill from time to time, as they were his local team.

He despised the hate and bigotry element within the Celtic support and it was a factor in him losing his interest in going to Parkhead. This was the main reason in bringing me up as a Jag. For that, I'll always thank him.

He took me to my first game when I was three and we would watch the game from where he did when he was younger, the corner in between the Shed and the City End. When the Shed was knocked down, along with the corner we moved into the City End. I can still remember sitting on my Dad's shoulders and some of his older pupils (he was an teacher at All Saints) coming up to us and being really friendly. They'd give me their scarf for a part of the game as I hadn't had one at the time, that sort of stuff. My avatar represents one of my last memories of watching a game from behind the goals. I just remember the green of the pitch, the blue sky and the sun shining. Great memories.

I remember the first proper build up to a Jags match and it was the first leg of the Dundee United play off in 96'. My Dad had said it was a massive game so I was a little anxious. We got a lift to the game and dropped off at Murano St and walked down towards the entrance behind the old north terrace. It was here, just after the bridge over the canal where I got my first Jags scarf, which I still have to this day. All I remember was that there must of been about 20 or so jag scarfs and my Dad told me to choose one. No idea why I chose the one I have now but I'm glad I did as I've only seen one other person with it, in my time as a Jags fan. Onto the game itself and I was really nervous as there was so many people around and the noise. We sat beside the journalist seats in section 6? and the only memory of the game itself was eating chocolate, drinking juice and then when we scored my Dad picked me up above his head. I was oblivious to it all really.

96/97 was the first proper season I attended regularly and then there was Save the Jags. Just like above there was a similar build to the Ayr game, I was two years older now so I had a better grasp of what was going on. Jackie Husband was packed and I'll always remember the kick off being delayed and the folk running along the JHS into the north terrace. Obviously not going to go into the game but when we scored it was a great feeling and noise.

When it went to 1v3 we left 5 minutes before the end and I was gutted I can remember the big gate open in the north terrace and looking through that onto the pitch. I think it was around this point Jimmy Boylle punched the ball onto the bar? Anyway we got back home I was greeting. that's when I knew and probably my Dad too that I had caught the bug.

I continued to attend regularly through those dark days of the second division and the Lambie revival, which I always respect my Dad for doing because he had to sit through a lot of awful football and then the Lambie revival began. Lambie revival was an amazing time and the trip to Hampden Park was a proud moment as a young fan. Great days.

I didn't go to as much games in the two SPL seasons, compared to the 2nd and 1st division winning seasons but the highlight, from a personal point of view was gubbing Killie 3v0. My best mate at the time was a Killie fan and after years of slagging it was great to finally get one over on them.

Britton/Whyte and Campbell first division season I was beginning to lose interest as I was now old enough to go to Firhill on my own. When we were relegated to the 2nd division I was so angry that I just decided not go. I had lost the bug and didn't go to one game that season. I missed out on Peterhead which I regret.

We got back to the first divsion but I only attended about 5 games, I borrowed someone elses season ticket for the majority of the games. Here they were:

St J 1v5

Gretna 0v6

Ross County 1v1 (they equalised with the final kick of the game)

Clyde 0v4

I was close to chucking it again I was beginning to think I was bad luck. Me and a mate did go to Banff in the Scottish Cup, which was good but we were sober.

McCall came and we trounced clyde 4v0 and beat Livi 3v0 in the first couple of home games which were enjoyable. Especially the game against the gypos - payback. I got a job and worked almost every Saturday so the ridiculous amount of midweek games that season, because of the pitch were most welcome. Dunfermline midweek and Livi scottish cup games - great nights. I wasn't at Ibrox for the cup as I was working but when I got home I listened to it on the radio. When we scored I was jumping up and down in the kitchen punching the air. The result that night and the reply at a packed Firhill restored the buzz and passion, which I had been beginning to lose. The performance in the CIS cup against Rangers, the following season had an even bigger effect. I was at the game with my Dad and when we scored I went absolutely mental. Cut both my shins on the seat in front of us.

Since 2008 I have had a season ticket, attend every home game and can't imagine not being at Firhill on a Saturday.

Edited by northernsoul

My Dad was a Celtic fan but grew up in the Barracks. He would go to Parkhead a lot with his brother but gave up going regularly in the late 70s. He would go along to Firhill from time to time, as they were his local team.

He despised the hate and bigotry element within the Celtic support and it was a factor in him losing his interest in going to Parkhead. This was the main reason in bringing me up as a Jag. For that, I'll always thank him.

He took me to my first game when I was three and we would watch the game from where he did when he was younger, the corner in between the Shed and the City End. When the Shed was knocked down, along with the corner we moved into the City End. I can still remember sitting on my Dad's shoulders and some of his older pupils (he was an teacher at All Saints) coming up to us and being really friendly. They'd give me their scarf for a part of the game as I hadn't had one at the time, that sort of stuff. My avatar represents one of my last memories of watching a game from behind the goals. I just remember the green of the pitch, the blue sky and the sun shining. Great memories.

I remember the first proper build up to a Jags match and it was the first leg of the Dundee United play off in 96'. My Dad had said it was a massive game so I was a little anxious. We got a lift to the game and dropped off at Murano St and walked down towards the entrance behind the old north terrace. It was here, just after the bridge over the canal where I got my first Jags scarf, which I still have to this day. All I remember was that there must of been about 20 or so jag scarfs and my Dad told me to choose one. No idea why I chose the one I have now but I'm glad I did as I've only seen one other person with it, in my time as a Jags fan. Onto the game itself and I was really nervous as there was so many people around and the noise. We sat beside the journalist seats in section 6? and the only memory of the game itself was eating chocolate, drinking juice and then when we scored my Dad picked me up above his head. I was oblivious to it all really.

96/97 was the first proper season I attended regularly and then there was Save the Jags. Just like above there was a similar build to the Ayr game, I was two years older now so I had a better grasp of what was going on. Jackie Husband was packed and I'll always remember the kick off being delayed and the folk running along the JHS into the north terrace. Obviously not going to go into the game but when we scored it was a great feeling and noise.

When it went to 1v3 we left 5 minutes before the end and I was gutted I can remember the big gate open in the north terrace and looking through that onto the pitch. I think it was around this point Jimmy Boylle punched the ball onto the bar? Anyway we got back home I was greeting. that's when I knew and probably my Dad too that I had caught the bug.

I continued to attend regularly through those dark days of the second division and the Lambie revival, which I always respect my Dad for doing because he had to sit through a lot of awful football and then the Lambie revival began. Lambie revival was an amazing time and the trip to Hampden Park was a proud moment as a young fan. Great days.

I didn't go to as much games in the two SPL seasons, compared to the 2nd and 1st division winning seasons but the highlight, from a personal point of view was gubbing Killie 3v0. My best mate at the time was a Killie fan and after years of slagging it was great to finally get one over on them.

Britton/Whyte and Campbell first division season I was beginning to lose interest as I was now old enough to go to Firhill on my own. When we were relegated to the 2nd division I was so angry that I just decided not go. I had lost the bug and didn't go to one game that season. I missed out on Peterhead which I regret.

We got back to the first divsion but I only attended about 5 games, I borrowed someone elses season ticket for the majority of the games. Here they were:

St J 1v5

Gretna 0v6

Ross County 1v1 (they equalised with the final kick of the game)

Clyde 0v4

I was close to chucking it again I was beginning to think I was bad luck. Me and a mate did go to Banff in the Scottish Cup, which was good but we were sober.

McCall came and we trounced clyde 4v0 and beat Livi 3v0 in the first couple of home games which were enjoyable. Especially the game against the gypos - payback. I got a job and worked almost every Saturday so the ridiculous amount of midweek games that season, because of the pitch were most welcome. Dunfermline midweek and Livi scottish cup games - great nights. I wasn't at Ibrox for the cup as I was working but when I got home I listened to it on the radio. When we scored I was jumping up and down in the kitchen punching the air. The result that night and the reply at a packed Firhill restored the buzz and passion, which I had been beginning to lose. The performance in the CIS cup against Rangers, the following season had an even bigger effect. I was at the game with my Dad and when we scored I went absolutely mental. Cut both my shins on the seat in front of us.

Since 2008 I have had a season ticket, attend every home game and can't imagine not being at Firhill on a Saturday.

What a superb account of the ups and downs of being a Thistle supporter.

Incidentally, and out of curiosity: what's that scarf of yours like?

What a superb account of the ups and downs of being a Thistle supporter.

Incidentally, and out of curiosity: what's that scarf of yours like?

Primarily black and yellow bars, separated by red lines in between each bar and red tassels at each end. On each yellow bar it has the old bomber badge with 'Partick', above it and 'Thistle' underneath it.

Primarily black and yellow bars, separated by red lines in between each bar and red tassels at each end. On each yellow bar it has the old bomber badge with 'Partick', above it and 'Thistle' underneath it.

If we keep this going and brush it up, maybe we could publish something? Or post something on a special web page? These memories are great, and I could certainly add to my own. Just a thought.

Edited by beep0608

Got into football properly in 1986 watching the merseyside FA CUP final.since then i have always been a liverpool fan.then one Saturday afternoon in 1991 my dad[who was a Celic season ticket holder in the 70's and 80's]says to me "do u want to go and watch a football game"."sure" i reply ,guessing it would be a trip to parkhead,but to my surprise he tells me that partick at home,we will go up there and watch them.so off we set for firhill,train from scotstounhill to charing cross,then a walk from there.we soon realise that the underground is the way to go.anyway we gub clyde 4-2 and a new thistle fan is born.the following season we get promoted and a game versus celtic is on the horizons and i am curious to see how my dad reacts.Georgie Shaw scores twice and lets just say my dad wasn't celebrating as much as me.

My mum worked on the railways so the family received cheap train tickets so we followed thistle all over Scotland.We got to know regular faces on the train journeys which made me feel part of club.even the casuals took the train and they would always say hello to me and say things like awright wee man,nice top and all that.there were some great days on away trips,but i used to love going to firhill and standing in the shed next to the away fans.my dad preferred behind the goals said he was to old for that nonsense.i loved the songs we sung back then,my fav was "thank you very much for the four pound fifty,thank you very much,thank you very very very much"{the tune of the roses advert].

Years later my dad tells me the reason for going to firhill that day.he tells me its because he could see all the trouble and nonsense coming regarding the old firm.to this day i am forever grateful to him.

PT,PTF,PTFC,OK.

I don't know when I saw my first game at Firhill. We lived in Raglan St just down by the Round Toll. A 5 to 10 minute walk to the ground. My dad was a Jags man as were all my uncles including one that actually played for Rangers. In fact our family was so steeped in the Jags that my sister had to marry a Jags fan too. I digress however, where was I, oh yes my first game at Firhill. Not sure if it was 1949 or 1950, but they were remodelling Firhill for the dog's track. Remember standing at what was to become the Tote end and leaving my dad with his mates to go and play in the sand and stones at the back of the ground. Not sure what team we were playing but they were in blue. That was the first of a thousand memories of bliss and depression.

One game that sticks in my mind was a new years game against Clyde. My dad said it would be magic as it was a relegation battle. true to form with about 5 minutes to go and us down 0 : 2 dad said let's go. As we reached the bottom of the slope to exit there was a roar from inside; the Jags had scored with two minutes to go. We stopped and my dad was not sure whether to go in again or head home. As he dithered another mighty roar, the Jags had equalised, the cue for a mad rush back into the ground only to see them walking off.

Another game was at Parkhead 1962 or 63, excuse my lapse in memory, called getting older, I was well into my teens then and decided to go to the game with four or five of my Thistle minded mates. Got to the Celtic ground only to be met by cues miles long outside the stadium. It was one of those games that only happens with the Jags, just about every Thistle supporter in Glasgow decided to go. Meanwhile as we are waiting and waiting to get into the away end of the ground there is this almighty roar. Must confess I said a wee sweary thinking Celtic had scored. No! to the delight of all us waiting to get in the Jags fans started waving scarves from above; we had scored. Still shuffling forward trying to get in when there was roar even louder than before, and as before another we sweary, must be Celtic equalised, but once again no, the Jags 2 Celtic 0. Was over the moon with excitement we were all singing and dancing our way to the turnstiles anxious to get in. Standing on that terracing at Parkhead with the biggest Thistle support I have ever seen at Parkhead was unbelievable. Needless to say that for the rest of the game Thistle never got out of their own 18 yard box and Celtic did everything except put the ball in the net.

They're just two memories of games, and sad to say never saw any of the goals Thistle scored. Bit like that old Amercan cop show from New York, a city with 8,000,00 stories, that's me and the jags.

Edited by ausjag

like many have mentioned this is a great thread. some really good stories. Just gave me a wee idea, someone should make a book of just thistle fans accounts of how they got into thistle and the ups n downs of being a jags fan.

I just remember the days when were 1-0 down and gerry will be walking back to the centre circle and turning to the crowd and firing us up and wed later win the game, or when we won the first division at love street, just the constant singing of STAND UP IF YOU LOVE THE JAGS for the full game.

one thing i truly love about thistie, is the banter from the fans. i remember the game vs airdrie away and we were gettin trounced 4-2 and we could only give abuse to the lines man coz the ref was too far away and constantly hearing "LINESMAN YOU F****** SH*** ... SORRY BUT YOUR CLOSER THAN THE REF"

just remembered my first game. it was at home to abroath in 2001, later went to the stenhousemuir game :)

Edited by phoenix1876

Nothing as exciting or romantic as some of the stories here, but anyway...

I wasn't much of football fan as we'd moved down south when I was a boy and none of the big London teams appealed to me. I used to go and watch Brentford from time to time, and their size appealed to me, especially the banter there was amongst the fans...

To cut the tedious parts out the story, I met and was pursuing a Scottish girl, who's brother lived on Firhill Road, in the flats near the stadium. Fiona told me that he used to go there sometimes, so in an effort to pal up with her bro and further ingratiate myself, I obtained tickets. Turned out that not being interested in sport, she'd got it wrong, and he was a fan of the warriors...

On my return to London, I was getting pelters from some of my pals in my pipe band (especially one from Hamilton), but being thrawn, I found myself defending the Jags. So I bought a shirt online from Greaves sport, and next time I was up I went (on my own) to to a game, at the end of August 08, when St.Johnstone got pumped 4-0 as I recall. As they say, that was me... So not as many downs for me as some, but not the glorious highs either. Still I'm as proud as anyone of my team, and on match there aren't many that stay closer.

This thread has appeared at various times in the past on Thistle forums and it`s always an interesting read. I am from the village of Carloway in Lewis and Donnie and Ronnie MacKinnon`s mum came from there. In fact as war evacuees the twins began their schooling there. Many of the village folk being Rangers fans followed Ronnie`s career with interest as I did myself BUT I and at least one other local became avid followers of the Jags and of Donnie in particular. I still have memorabilia he sent me all those years ago and it was good to hear from him again a couple of years back. A true Thistle legend who served the club well for many years. Thank you Donnie - I will always hold you responsible for infecting me with incurable Partick Thistle-ites!

This thread has appeared at various times in the past on Thistle forums and it`s always an interesting read. I am from the village of Carloway in Lewis and Donnie and Ronnie MacKinnon`s mum came from there. In fact as war evacuees the twins began their schooling there. Many of the village folk being Rangers fans followed Ronnie`s career with interest as I did myself BUT I and at least one other local became avid followers of the Jags and of Donnie in particular. I still have memorabilia he sent me all those years ago and it was good to hear from him again a couple of years back. A true Thistle legend who served the club well for many years. Thank you Donnie - I will always hold you responsible for infecting me with incurable Partick Thistle-ites!

Yep, an absolute legend who deserves more recognition.

I used to have an original press photo of his only goal for the 1st team, a bullet header from a corner against Hibs at Firhill.

Sadly, lost it.

:(

Yep, an absolute legend who deserves more recognition.

I used to have an original press photo of his only goal for the 1st team, a bullet header from a corner against Hibs at Firhill.

Sadly, lost it.

:(

I would LOVE to see that photo so if you ever find it please let me know!

1985 or 1986 Benny Rooney was in charge, I'm in primary5 never been to a game in my life. Doing a science project in school on the friday showing how plants drrink water so were using food colour and daffodils and we move on to the red food colour, the daffie turns red and yellow and my school teacher asks if anyones dad is a partick thistle fan "Mine is" says me so the teacher says i can take it home and maybe my dad will take me to a game (my dads not been to a game since my younher brothers been born as my mum had to work part time on a saturday afternoon to make ends meet and he looked after us), so take it home and ask, my dad clears it with my mum and myself and my brother are whisked off to firhill on the saturday. Its the 2nd last home hgame of the season and on the bus i'm starting to panick incase me or my brother lose my dad in the big crowds that you get at football matches (remember i have only seen games on the telly and in those days it was cup finals and internationals) well there is about 2200 at firhill and we go to the main stand, I was engrossed immediatly. Game ends nil nil but i loved it. On the way home i ask if i can get a scarf next time "Oh i have one in the house but its a wee bit old, but it'll do you for now and we'll get you a new one if you keep coming", its a 1971 cup final scarf that i still own. We go to the next game the last game of the season which also ends nil nil, i thought you only saw goals on the telly, still remember the absolute joy and the hugs the next season when i saw my 1st jags goal, and i also got braver and would go down to the enclosure to see the players warm up and get my programme autographed as the players came back up the tunnel, don't know how many Kenny Watson autographs i have, think i was on 1st name terms with him by the end of the season.

They were happy, simple days when you felt part of something, the product wasnt great but there was a togetherness about being a jags fan, a club that only a select few got admitted too and now i felt part of it. My granda who was from Raeburry street and had been watching the jags since before the war was so proud we were going to firhill.

And the 4th generation of the family made his 1st appearnce at firhill when my wee neephew came along with his dad, his granda and his uncle.... he thought Pee-Tee was great as was his hot dog, hopefully the addiction to the club has started