Match-Day Programme

Jaggernaut

Hats off to the team who put together the match-day programme, which I dutifully buy and enjoy. I was just wondering whether there are any plans to change anything for next season. Most people would probably agree that it's good to be able to read the Manager's view and Chairman's replies to questions online, but in my view it does slightly detract from the value of the programme to then find the same material reprinted there. Of course there is an inevitable degree of repetition involved due to the very nature of the programme's aims, which I guess are to give news about the squad, introduce the opposing squad, provide up to date statistics, goings on around the club etc. The "On This Day" feature is by definition repetitive, yet I find myself drawn to it every time, wondering if I was at that game, what the Jags were doing 100 years ago, etc.

So, this is I guess a thanks to those who put it all together again this season, and a request for any advance info on next season's propaganda sheet programme.

PS: A fund-raising idea might be to number each programme and ask the buyer if they want to enter into a draw. For an extra 50p, that programme number would be marked on a list and entered either for a separate half-time 50/50 draw, or a Thistle shirt/ball, or hospitality, or something like that.

Edited by Jaggernaut

It was mentioned on Saturday, for the sellers, to ask the fans if they would be interested in paying £1 for a half-time draw next season?

The plan is that it would make the 2nd prize would be more attractive, possibly hospitality/gift vouchers or something better than a ball. & also hopefully increase the cash prize, depends on sales though obviously.

At the moment the 50p a ticket works well with people buying a ticket & programme, which = £19.50. 90% of people make up the extra 50p with a half time draw. Making it £1 could lose the sales from that as people fumble about to pay £20.50.

I agree with the OP about the website stuff to an extent. I like to read the match preview and after match reactions on the official site but feel that everything else like the chairman's column being exclusive to the programme might encourage people to buy it instead of thinking "I'll just read it all on the website later".

Increasing the price of the 50/50 tickets is fairly pointless. As said the ticket + programme + 50/50 ticket works out at a nice even price plus plenty of folk who buy a few would just end up buying half the amount of tickets they used to. Why didn't they ask about this in the survey? It seems like the perfect place for them to ask rather than getting the 50/50 sellers to get opinions when selling tickets.

It was mentioned on Saturday, for the sellers, to ask the fans if they would be interested in paying £1 for a half-time draw next season?

The plan is that it would make the 2nd prize would be more attractive, possibly hospitality/gift vouchers or something better than a ball. & also hopefully increase the cash prize, depends on sales though obviously.

At the moment the 50p a ticket works well with people buying a ticket & programme, which = £19.50. 90% of people make up the extra 50p with a half time draw. Making it £1 could lose the sales from that as people fumble about to pay £20.50.

It's NOT a ball? :getmecoat:

With next season in mind there are various things that are "being run up the flag pole to see if anyone salutes" as a previous manager of mine used to say. The idea of a 50/50 ticket costing £1 but having a better quality of second prize has been mentioned but nothing is decided at the moment. The points that have been mentioned already about how a ticket, programme and a 50/50 come to a nice round figure and how that it might not increase takings as someone who currently hands over £1 for 2 tickets may just hand over £1 for one ticket instead of buying two tickets for £2 are valid.

I will put a poll on here later so that I can take some figures back to the club for discussion. Also, can I just say thanks again to those people who purchase 50/50 tickets - at the moment I would estimate it to about a third of the crowd and hopefully we can increase that figure next season.

I hate threads with ‘Match Programme’ in the title! :P

The comments regarding repetition in content between the programme and website are well made though. This is something that I’m conscious of and do, wherever possible, try and keep it to an absolute minimum.

The Q&A with David Beattie was actually the only article of that genre (Message from the Boardroom type of thing) that has appeared online prior to the programme going on sale. I decided to do it that way as I felt at a time of transition and speculation that there had been a gap in terms of comment from the Club, aside from the statement following Ian McCall’s resignation. I know that there wasn’t anything new or startling in David’s comments but I do hope it was useful all the same.

Looking at the programme/website in general part of the ‘problem’ comes from a lack of variety of contributions. If they are coming from the one source then it almost inevitable that there will at least be an element of duplication. Time too is an issue. Not just mine but that of the staff at the Club as well. I know it is part and parcel of the job but, as an example, I don’t think the manager should necessarily have to take two calls looking for comment for the programme and the website.

I’ve been fortunate to have had some assistance in the last month or so from Martin Currie who has been doing a few interviews and match reports plus the Text Updates from the home games. Hopefully that is helping to keep content fresh.

At the moment I’ve no specific plans in mind for next season’s programme (I’ll miss the actual football but I’m looking forward to a rest). I’m always interested in suggestions as to how to enhance the content of the programme and that applies equally to the website where there are some obvious gaps.

Without wanting to labour the point, time is a finite resource and as great as suggestions and ideas are, I’m always looking for people who feel they have the time and energy to make regular contributions.

Oh, before I forget, thanks to everyone who has bought a programme during what has been a tough season.

With next season in mind there are various things that are "being run up the flag pole to see if anyone salutes" as a previous manager of mine used to say. The idea of a 50/50 ticket costing £1 but having a better quality of second prize has been mentioned but nothing is decided at the moment. The points that have been mentioned already about how a ticket, programme and a 50/50 come to a nice round figure and how that it might not increase takings as someone who currently hands over £1 for 2 tickets may just hand over £1 for one ticket instead of buying two tickets for £2 are valid.

I will put a poll on here later so that I can take some figures back to the club for discussion. Also, can I just say thanks again to those people who purchase 50/50 tickets - at the moment I would estimate it to about a third of the crowd and hopefully we can increase that figure next season.

Got a vision of Gus from Drop the Dead Donkey there. :D

As for increasing the price of the 50/50 tickets to get a larger return is on face value false economy. I forget the relevant commercial law but the marketing solution is to sell more at the current price. The tricky bit is of course finding ways of doing that.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Got a vision of Gus from Drop the Dead Donkey there. :D

As for increasing the price of the 50/50 tickets to get a larger return is on face value false economy. I forget relevant the commercial law but the marketing solution is to sell more at the current price. The tricky bit is of course finding ways of doing that.

Made a suggestion to DB this week, which is probably already being considered anyway. The way to sell more 50/50's at the current price is to sell it to non-Thistle fans outwith matchday. For example a couple of dozen fans (or more maybe) get X amount of tickets at one home game with XYZ reference numbers on them (thus allowing the Club to know which fans have however many tickets) and sell them to friends/family/colleagues/strangers. The money and ticket stubs of sold tickets go to the Club on the day of the next home game for inclusion in that weeks draw, unsold tickets are also returned.

Then start the cycle again.

I wasn't saying that it was a no go, I was just putting it on the forum so it could possibly generate some debate & see if it is a favourable idea. Putting a poll on the official website would be the best bet, if a majority think it's a good idea we go for it, if they don't then we stick with what it is at the moment.

My opinion is that if everything stays at the same price, eg Programme & entry price, sales won't increase by increasing the price of the HT draw. If entry fell by £1, then I think it could work.

Made a suggestion to DB this week, which is probably already being considered anyway. The way to sell more 50/50's at the current price is to sell it to non-Thistle fans outwith matchday. For example a couple of dozen fans (or more maybe) get X amount of tickets at one home game with XYZ reference numbers on them (thus allowing the Club to know which fans have however many tickets) and sell them to friends/family/colleagues/strangers. The money and ticket stubs of sold tickets go to the Club on the day of the next home game for inclusion in that weeks draw, unsold tickets are also returned.

Sounds like a good idea!

I think that could work, pretty sure most people could sell tickets to their neighbours, golf clubs, bowling clubs, family etc. Will take some organisation from the club though.

I hate threads with ‘Match Programme’ in the title! :P

The comments regarding repetition in content between the programme and website are well made though. This is something that I’m conscious of and do, wherever possible, try and keep it to an absolute minimum.

The Q&A with David Beattie was actually the only article of that genre (Message from the Boardroom type of thing) that has appeared online prior to the programme going on sale. I decided to do it that way as I felt at a time of transition and speculation that there had been a gap in terms of comment from the Club, aside from the statement following Ian McCall’s resignation. I know that there wasn’t anything new or startling in David’s comments but I do hope it was useful all the same.

Looking at the programme/website in general part of the ‘problem’ comes from a lack of variety of contributions. If they are coming from the one source then it almost inevitable that there will at least be an element of duplication. Time too is an issue. Not just mine but that of the staff at the Club as well. I know it is part and parcel of the job but, as an example, I don’t think the manager should necessarily have to take two calls looking for comment for the programme and the website.

I’ve been fortunate to have had some assistance in the last month or so from Martin Currie who has been doing a few interviews and match reports plus the Text Updates from the home games. Hopefully that is helping to keep content fresh.

At the moment I’ve no specific plans in mind for next season’s programme (I’ll miss the actual football but I’m looking forward to a rest). I’m always interested in suggestions as to how to enhance the content of the programme and that applies equally to the website where there are some obvious gaps.

Without wanting to labour the point, time is a finite resource and as great as suggestions and ideas are, I’m always looking for people who feel they have the time and energy to make regular contributions.

Oh, before I forget, thanks to everyone who has bought a programme during what has been a tough season.

i get the programme posted it is great value and it is very much appreciated,thanks to all