George Best

Jaggernaut

Thanks for sharing - that was fascinating.

The goal v Chelsea when Chopper Harris tries to cripple him, and he stays on his feet, then goes round the keeper remains one of the best goals I have ever seen.

Now, senile dementia creeping in, did he ever play at Firhill during his time with Hibs?? I should know, but I cannot remember seeing him, therefore he probably did not.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks for sharing - that was fascinating.

The goal v Chelsea when Chopper Harris tries to cripple him, and he stays on his feet, then goes round the keeper remains one of the best goals I have ever seen.

Now, senile dementia creeping in, did he ever play at Firhill during his time with Hibs?? I should know, but I cannot remember seeing him, therefore he probably did not.

Can someone confirm?

Not so much tackles in those days, more like Kung Fu fighting! One of his Chelsea Team-mates said that when Ron "Chopper" Harris was in a good mood, he put Iodine on his studs :o

I know George Best's first game for Hibs was against Thistle at Easter Road. I'm sure he played at Firhill in a friendly as part of the transfer deal for Alex Forsyth to Man Utd.

• Members

Not so much tackles in those days, more like Kung Fu fighting! One of his Chelsea Team-mates said that when Ron "Chopper" Harris was in a good mood, he put Iodine on his studs :o

I know George Best's first game for Hibs was against Thistle at Easter Road. I'm sure he played at Firhill in a friendly as part of the transfer deal for Alex Forsyth to Man Utd.

That was Donnie McKinnon's testimonial. 3-0 to United. There was a photo of George taking on a Thistle defender that was used frequently on the front page of the programme that season (and probably the season after also!)

Brilliant to see these clips again. Most of them naturally showing his goals but like a lot of truly world class forwards if he'd hardly ever scored Best would still be very highly regarded.

Best didn't need to go "to ground easy" simply because of his incredible balance and of course confidence. In a roundabout way that's maybe why so many of today's "stars" fall over at a touch. They lack anything remotely like Best's balance.

pure brilliance. I only remember seeing him once. Glasgow Select v Man Utd, he was 16 at the time.

Today is his birthday. Where ever you are George, happy 65th

He never lost his skill but I'd forgotten until I looked at that how quick he could be -maybe just in short bursts but it took defenders out of the game.

Also as another poster said, he had a tremenduos ability to ride a tackle - you had to really clatter him to bring him down. Could play on the wing, in midfield and as a forward. He could even tackle which is something Paul Scholes never learned to do.