Do We Have Anything Againt Ayr United?

sigesige00

That was a sore one, definitely. But I don't really hold it against them. Not like those lousy arabs a couple of years earlier, aided by a bent referee.

Or the fact that Ayr fans lorded it up that day by chanting "Thistle's going down..."

Just not necessary.

Yes, the fact they now have a billionaire on board because his name is similar.

In light of this, I reckon we should change to "Partick Thistle Of Brunei" or "Partick Thistle Gates".......... :sign:

Yes they'll certainly be on a high with their new owner.

After the debacle of 1998, I was at the World Cup and standing brushing my teeth at a campsite in Bordeaux (Jags top on), I heard a group starting to sing a song, turned out it was directed at me, "we scored three, you scored one, we stayed in Division One". I normally would take this as banter and shrug it off and even give a bit back but I could see that they were a bit vicious in their manner while chanting so I decided there that it wasn't banter.

C*nts. I was 15 then and I've never really had much time for Ayr United since.

There's only two negatives that come to mind about Ayr Utd.They overcharge at the gate for a midden of a ground, Just as it's a good day out and the novelty of standing in an older type stadium makes for good atmosphere it shouldn't mean you've got to pay extra for the privilege. Just checked their website and they charged £15 for Div 2. Even if that's updated for Div 1 it's way too much for the lack of facilities.

The other downside is the disproportionate amount of wee neds that hing about Somerset Pk. You can laugh at them if you're with two or three other Jags fans but that lowlife have a habit of preying on young kids or elderly fans. Stoning buses is another regular pastime.

That said I'm glad Ayr are back up but it's not all a bed of roses with that lot.

Somerset Park is a great ground, Ayr is full of great pubs and Ayr is cheap to get to and a nice distance on the train for a few ales. No complaints at all.

Well said that man. Delighted they are back up and I hope Somerset Park is around for many years to come.

Somerset Park is a great ground, Ayr is full of great pubs and Ayr is cheap to get to and a nice distance on the train for a few ales. No complaints at all.

Well said that man. Delighted they are back up and I hope Somerset Park is around for many years to come.

Agreed. The train journey from Central to Ayr is perfect for an away game, as stated, ample time for a few cans but not too long. The pubs near the station when you arrive. The shed behind the goals, top drawer. The pubs on the way back then last train up the road. Hope its in August.

Happy Days.

I agree with the sentiments above - it's got everything you could want from an away game (unless acceptable toilet facilities are high on your list, obviously). Terracing, near the town centre, pubs, striking distance from Glasgow. I really hope it's in August so I can go. The first day of the season would be ideal, when optimism is still high and a good support head down. Ayr is also a decent football club, with a decent support that belongs in the 1st division, good to see them back.

Good memories of Somerset Park; getting stuck under that huge flag at the cup game and not being able to see the game (which, in retrospect, was a good thing), thinking Stephane Bonnes was the best player in the world (which, during that game, I'm pretty sure he was). Other memories include being totally hammered, freezing my bollocks off and getting my sleeves tied behind my back whilst Ayr scored to put the game into extra time, resulting in missing a Dave Pearce and Pete Tong gig. It was at Somerset when Chico got sent off on his third (?) debut, wasn't it?

And, of course, they have the crusty old Hoor. Got to love a team with the Hoor in it; it's the law.

Good memories of Somerset Park; getting stuck under that huge flag at the cup game and not being able to see the game (which, in retrospect, was a good thing), thinking Stephane Bonnes was the best player in the world (which, during that game, I'm pretty sure he was). Other memories include being totally hammered, freezing my bollocks off and getting my sleeves tied behind my back whilst Ayr scored to put the game into extra time, resulting in missing a Dave Pearce and Pete Tong gig. It was at Somerset when Chico got sent off on his third (?) debut, wasn't it?

And, of course, they have the crusty old Hoor. Got to love a team with the Hoor in it; it's the law.

Seldom, if ever, have truer words been written. :happy2: