Will The Main Stand Be Open For Visit Of Celtic?

general george

Unfortunately this wouldn't be likely to happen. Yes, a fair number of Celtic fans turned up for the friendly at the weekend, however that was Celtic's first football in Scotland for months and a couple of high profile players were playing. How good would attendances at second string Celtic games in the likes of Berwick and Peterhead be when the first team are playing the same weekend. It would probably be on a par with current div 3 attendances to be honest. I suppose there might be an increase in general interest at lower levels and possibly improved sponsorship.

Take a look at the clubs in this year's 3rd Div. Willing to bet that the local team in towns and areas like Stranraer, Stenhousemuir/Larbert, Alloa & Cumbernauld/Kilsyth will at best be the third best supported club. Also factor in one of the ugly sisters nearly every week play on a Sunday. I'd say it's a safe bet that say a Stenhousemuir v Rangers B would draw a significantly larger attendance than a match involving Stenhousemuir and any of their current nine opponents.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the clubs in this year's 3rd Div. Willing to bet that the local team in towns and areas like Stranraer, Stenhousemuir/Larbert, Alloa & Cumbernauld/Kilsyth will at best be the third best supported club. Also factor in one of the ugly sisters nearly every week play on a Sunday. I'd say it's a safe bet that say a Stenhousemuir v Rangers B would draw a significantly larger attendance than a match involving Stenhousemuir and any of their current nine opponents.

I don't believe so. If you're from any of those locations you have listed and support the old firm, it is because either you are a glory hunter or 'your father' supported 'the Rangers' or 'the Celtic'. These people will either go to plenty of games at their respective hell-holes, or none - I suspect the latter, and they would probably still not bother if they were playing on their doorstep as it is not the first team. The OF fans would only get excited about colt teams when the two cheeks are playing each other, and maybe at the tail end of the season if they're going to win the league.

Let's not get carried away here.

Saturdays crowd was down to a combination of factors, weather being very important.

Let's not forget that the old firm are struggling to fill their grounds for 1st team games at the moment, so I can't see many of them turning out on a regular basis for b team games.