Will The Main Stand Be Open For Visit Of Celtic?

general george

The only reasons I can think for this decision are

1 - the police wont allow it to be a free for all with the carnage that could happen with Celtic fans in the JH stand

2 - Celtic have indicated they will fill the North Stand

Couldn't even find a mention of the game on Celtic's website.

Guessing we're being over cautious as this will be effectively the first game with our new minimal polis policy.

Also all this anti-sectarian palaver going thru Holyrood just now could give what's not much more than a bounce game a higher profile, with the press at least. In that case I suppose all ticket could make some sort of sense.

Tbh clutching at straws for a reason for this.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowest opinion of Thistle so far you mean.

Happy to scrabble for old firm crumbs. Pathetic.

Your a wind up merchant!

I think everybudys sussed that!

I hate the auld firm as much as any Jagsman!

on here or that has been goin to Firhell since time immemorial! (like myself)

BUT as I said before,

Their dosh - if any - is as good as ours!

& I'll certainly take - crumbs - as you say!

beggers cany etc. etc.

Before this thread degenerates, the crumbs from the Old Firm are the best teams like Thistle can expect at this moment. I hope it's a heavyweight Celtic team that shows up at Firhill for this game. Not sure I could handle the excitement of a visit from Clyde or the regular summer passers-by.

I think this answers the question about the Main Stand.

In trying to predict the crowd size, you have to take into account the context in which the match is being played. This is no midweek November friendly in the middle of a run of more important games. It is the first realistic chance for football-starved fans of both sides to see their team for some time, on a Saturday afternoon in summer. There seems to be plenty of interest in Thistle's game at Blyth - perhaps 200 fans might be travelling? That would be 10% of the average crowd at Firhill for most of the last season. 10% of Celtic's home crowd would be 6,000. Making the game all-ticket is a sensible way of avoiding the public relations disaster that would result from fans having to be refused entry to the match.

I see where you are coming from but is there really that much interest in this game amongst Celtic fans? I mentioned it at work today to a guy who is a season ticket holder at Parkhead and he wasn't even aware the fixture was being played. Plus, it is likely to be a fringe Celtic team at best. A full strength Celtic side playing in Glasgow for the first time in months could well prompt a lot of green and greys to buy a ticket in advance; but I cannot see them doing the same to watch a side comprising of a few kids and the occasional squad player. I don't think the simple fact that there will be a football match involving a team wearing hoops will be enticing enough, to be honest. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Celtic will be back from their Australian tour before this game is played and don't have any other fixtures lined up before they open their SPL campaign on the 24th July. The likelyhood is any players that are signed while they are away will get a run out and players who maybe haven't had much game time while away will be involved. All this talk of an Under 19 side could very well be way off the mark, in which case we might well see at least 87,000 of the millions descend on Firhill.

I'm going for a crowd of 7,458 with the Jags making a right few quid :thumbsup2:

Celtic will be back from their Australian tour before this game is played and don't have any other fixtures lined up before they open their SPL campaign on the 24th July. The likelyhood is any players that are signed while they are away will get a run out and players who maybe haven't had much game time while away will be involved. All this talk of an Under 19 side could very well be way off the mark, in which case we might well see at least 87,000 of the millions descend on Firhill.

I'm going for a crowd of 7,458 with the Jags making a right few quid :thumbsup2:

That could be worth two, or even 3 decent signings if we get that size of crowd.

And the difference between a midtable to tophalf finish, and that of winning the league.

I hope to god u are right.

Still no mention tho' this is only 1st team fixtures. Hard to imagine if they're playing in Melbourne on the Wednesday that any of that lot would be turning out on the Saturday.

Best chance of a sizable crowd would be if they make some big name late signings or other 1st team regulars returning from injury and didn't make the Australia jaunt.

Still no mention tho' this is only 1st team fixtures. Hard to imagine if they're playing in Melbourne on the Wednesday that any of that lot would be turning out on the Saturday.

Best chance of a sizable crowd would be if they make some big name late signings or other 1st team regulars returning from injury and didn't make the Australia jaunt.

They also have a game with Inter Milan, then against a League of Ireland team the following weekend,in Ireland, so they may field some of their new signings at our game, before their league campaigns kicks off again after their opening game, who knows!!

Not scientific of course but a few occasional Celtic fans I know have been going on about this game.

Not only is it a Saturday in summer and so on but is it not the case that most Old Firm fans don't get the chance to go away as they go to members who block buy all away games in advance? Maybe the chance of an 'away fixture' right on their doorstep will being a few out the woodwork for novelty value and its only a tenner.

We should have made it £15 a ticket to be honest.

Celtic fans can buy tickets from the game at Firhill they dont need to go to Celtic Park to buy them, if they stay in Maryhill would make sense for them to opo into Firhill and get them.

I know there are 5 Celtic fans who I know been going on about this game and are happy to go into Firhill and buy the tickets for the end Celtic supporters will be in as opposed to having to traipse to the East End to do so.

Jeez the doom-merchants in our support are unbelievable at times. Why are you guys always so bloody negative.

I have no doubt in my mind that this game will attract a bigger crowd than the likes of Clyde etc and if you dont think so you must be off your head. Therefore, for me, this will be the most financially viable friendly we've had at Firhill for quite a while.

Hamilton Jag you have made a lot of statements on this thread that will come back to bite you on the ar5e...a 5th team? I never realised Smellic had a 5th team, are you expecting the under 15's or something?

I'd predict a crowd in excess of 5000 :thumbsup2:

Jeez the doom-merchants in our support are unbelievable at times. Why are you guys always so bloody negative.

I have no doubt in my mind that this game will attract a bigger crowd than the likes of Clyde etc and if you dont think so you must be off your head. Therefore, for me, this will be the most financially viable friendly we've had at Firhill for quite a while.

Hamilton Jag you have made a lot of statements on this thread that will come back to bite you on the ar5e...a 5th team? I never realised Smellic had a 5th team, are you expecting the under 15's or something?

I'd predict a crowd in excess of 5000 :thumbsup2:

Exactly, even if we only got 3000 would still be extremely financially viable. When do we even get 3000 for a league game never mind a friendly.

Even if its not on the Celtic website no harm in mentioning it to as many Celtic fans as possible or posting on some of their forums. Doesnt matter what we think of Celtic or their supporters the way I see it its in our interest to get as many of them turning up for the game as possible.

Where do you draw the line with that logic though? Would you accept money from anyone so long as it meant improving our finances and the playing squad? I find both halves of the Old Firm to be abhorrent, and don't want them and their poisonous supporters anywhere near Firhill unless we absolutely have to play them. They have made themselves into Glasgow 'institutions' on the back of bigotry and hatred, have shamed Scotland over and over again, and have been rightly condemned repeatedly on this forum for doing so. Yet now we are happy to have them over as it will provide a boost to our own coffers?

Spot on.

Where do you draw the line with that logic though? Would you accept money from anyone so long as it meant improving our finances and the playing squad? I find both halves of the Old Firm to be abhorrent, and don't want them and their poisonous supporters anywhere near Firhill unless we absolutely have to play them. They have made themselves into Glasgow 'institutions' on the back of bigotry and hatred, have shamed Scotland over and over again, and have been rightly condemned repeatedly on this forum for doing so. Yet now we are happy to have them over as it will provide a boost to our own coffers?

:rolleyes:

yes, so whats your point? if you dont like it, dont go, simples

its money, we need money

:party:

I cannot find a crying emoticon, so you'll have to make do with a dancing banana.

I don't care where we get money from, as long as it's obtained legally. If we're going to play a friendly match against one of Europe's best sides (I know this is an arguable point) and gain a good financial boost - then I am all for it. I don't care if they've shamed Scotland, because anyone with a bit of sense would realise that it is mainly restricted to both the OF sides, and not Scotland as a whole.

I will put my club first in every circumstance, and I feel that this is a great move.