Will The Main Stand Be Open For Visit Of Celtic?

general george

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully expected to find three pages of Jags fans revelling in the fact we'd get the chance of a home pre-season friendly with a decent turnout and atmosphere for a change and all I've read is three pages of utter pish.

This game is about bringing money into the club, Jackie Mac has obviously managed to sway this, which is no mean feat considering that Celtic will be here, there and everywhere this summer and it is going to bring tens of thousands of pounds into the club. The timing of it, I would reckon is good for our club and all it takes is one new late signing for the Hoops to be part of the squad for this and we will see the Sellick fans flocking to Firhill. I expect to see a strong Celtic squad at Firhill for this game and a very healthy (though smelling almost dead) suppport filling up the Firhill coffers.

A good bit of business by the club and how this thread has managed to decend into such farce is beyond me.

I fully expected to find three pages of Jags fans revelling in the fact we'd get the chance of a home pre-season friendly with a decent turnout and atmosphere for a change and all I've read is three pages of utter pish.

This game is about bringing money into the club, Jackie Mac has obviously managed to sway this, which is no mean feat considering that Celtic will be here, there and everywhere this summer and it is going to bring tens of thousands of pounds into the club. The timing of it, I would reckon is good for our club and all it takes is one new late signing for the Hoops to be part of the squad for this and we will see the Sellick fans flocking to Firhill. I expect to see a strong Celtic squad at Firhill for this game and a very healthy (though smelling almost dead) suppport filling up the Firhill coffers.

A good bit of business by the club and how this thread has managed to decend into such farce is beyond me.

For some, I'm afraid, having a go at the old firm (or even just having ago at our own club) is more important than the team we're all supposed to support.

Guess you must be a better fan that I am.

Sadly lacking in your words of wisdom oh fitba Guru... until now when you decide to grace the thread with your nuggets of intelligence dripping from your mouth like heavenly nectar.

This game.....is going to bring tens of thousands of pounds into the club.

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. I would love to be proven wrong.

Ach that's just utter bollox.

I love the Thistle.

I cannot stand the old firm. The two can go hand-in-hand.

True but an elephant.

Having a go at the club for arranging a friendly with an Old Firm club is putting your dislike of the Old Firm above the support of the club. Do you think we should never play the OF unless we're forced to?

I'm not daft enough to think we'll make a lot of money out of this but at least it's a change from the usual nothing pre-season games we've had recent years. If you don't like the OF then you get a chance to shout some wind-ups at them.

True but an elephant.

Having a go at the club for arranging a friendly with an Old Firm club is putting your dislike of the Old Firm above the support of the club. Do you think we should never play the OF unless we're forced to?

I'm not daft enough to think we'll make a lot of money out of this but at least it's a change from the usual nothing pre-season games we've had recent years. If you don't like the OF then you get a chance to shout some wind-ups at them.

......Sorry. I call a pre season friendly with an old firm 5th team LESS than nothing.

Friendly matches mean nothing anyway. If this makes the Club more money, compared to a home match against a lower league Scottish or English team then I'm all for it.

The Main Stand won't be open unless somehow a crowd of 8000+ turns up. I suppose the number of Celtic fans depends on how well their club promotes or advertises it.

Do Celtic have a 5th team?

For what it is worth, plenty of Celtic fans I know plan to head to Firhill that day because they have not been to Firhill for ages and the fact it is a chance to see Celtic for the first time next season - pre season tours excluded. The main thrust id that with a first team squad the size they have, they still expect to see a fairly strong team. Might be what used to be a reserve team, but all first team players.

From my mates and the guys at work who support Celtic who all plan to be there, it might be not a bad gate.

Personally - couldn't give a flying feck who is in the Celtic team.

......Sorry. I call a pre season friendly with an old firm 5th team LESS than nothing.

Be disappointing if they send along a team that will not attract much of a crowd. Celtic tho' have a large first team squad so I'm not as certain as you, HJ, that'll it'll be a team of unknowns.

Mind it's not just the OF that can send out understrength sides in friendlies. Seem to remember a certain 1st Div club playing two friendlies against lower league teams (Ayr & Stranraer) on the same night.

Do you think we should never play the OF unless we're forced to?

Is that such an unreasonable position for a Thistle fan, or for that matter a fan of any Scottish club outside the Old Firm, to take?

I know that we could use the money that would come with a decent turn-out of Celtic fans. But you can find dozens of threads on this forum denouncing the Old Firm for making money on the back of their bigoted, violent and embarrasing fanbase, and quite rightly so. Are many of the arguments on this thread not suggesting that it's a good idea for Thistle to do exactly that in this case?

If it's a decent day then there could be a couple of thousand. What if they start going through their IRA routine? I don't think Thistle kids, or even Thistle adults, should have to listen to that unless it's necessary.

I'm not indifferent to the argument that we need the cash and that it's a more interesting fixture than Stirling Albion away again, but especially after the way Celtic behaved last season, from the board right through the manager to the fans, I certainly sympathise with the argument that they are not welcome at Firhill.

Is that such an unreasonable position for a Thistle fan, or for that matter a fan of any Scottish club outside the Old Firm, to take?

You yourself are entitled to feel that way but the club can't. Celtic are an official league club and Partick Thistle can't take any other attitude than treat them like any other (except if it was a serious game to make sure threre were plenty of Stewards and polis).

The game will attract interest - a number of factors we can't predict just now will affect whether that interest is enough to bring us in some money - but it seems to me a lot better pre-season fixture than the usual Clyde/Dumbarton/QP away that we've been getting in recent years.

Though as it happens, family matters mean I won't be able to make the Celtic game now but please feel free to go along and boo them (give an extra boo from me too). :thumbsup2:

(It was either miss the 'tic game or miss the first competitive game of the season..)

Edited by Mr Bunny

You yourself are entitled to feel that way but the club can't. Celtic are an official league club and Partick Thistle can't take any other attitude than treat them like any other (except if it was a serious game to make sure threre were plenty of Stewards and polis).

The game will attract interest - a number of factors we can't predict just now will affect whether that interest is enough to bring us in some money - but it seems to me a lot better pre-season fixture than the usual Clyde/Dumbarton/QP away that we've been getting in recent years.

Though as it happens, family matters mean I won't be able to make the Celtic game now but please feel free to go along and boo them (give an extra boo from me too). :thumbsup2:

(It was either miss the 'tic game or miss the first competitive game of the season..)

I, of course, wouldn't expect Thistle to treat the Old Firm any differently when it comes to any official dealings that may take place between the two clubs. But the club have no obligation to arrange pre-season friendlies with them - this is a game Thistle are choosing to play, and I think there is a valid argument, more than one in fact, for choosing not to invite the Old Firm. Thistle is (or should be and are striving to be) a family-friendly, and now police-free, club. The same certainly cannot be said about Celtic. Although I understand why this game has been arranged, I personally would prefer that we had not.

I think this answers the question about the Main Stand.

In trying to predict the crowd size, you have to take into account the context in which the match is being played. This is no midweek November friendly in the middle of a run of more important games. It is the first realistic chance for football-starved fans of both sides to see their team for some time, on a Saturday afternoon in summer. There seems to be plenty of interest in Thistle's game at Blyth - perhaps 200 fans might be travelling? That would be 10% of the average crowd at Firhill for most of the last season. 10% of Celtic's home crowd would be 6,000. Making the game all-ticket is a sensible way of avoiding the public relations disaster that would result from fans having to be refused entry to the match.