Partick Thistle Shamed

During looking at recent news, all things Partick Thistle of course, I stumbled upon an article written by one Alex Massie, a highly "respectable" journalist who has worked at many high quality newspapers both in the UK, and in the states.

Now of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I took offence at a certain paragraph that he wrote in this article about Scotland's Sectarianism Bill, and it reads like this:

"We're assured that context matters and that the police and courts can be trusted to implement everything sensibly but wouldn't it be more reassuring not to have to worry about any of this at all? You and I know that the Partick Thistle song "We hate Roman Catholics/We hate Protestants too/We hate Jews and Muslims/Partick Thistle we love you" is a gentle reflection on Glasgow's football crazies but there's bound to be someone upset by it and just as likely that their "concerns" will be treated sympathetically."

I have held a season ticket for seven years, and in all that time never have I heard such filth being sung from our supporters. I don't know if anyone else has, so perhaps you could shed some light on this.

Ok, there is one or two songs that are not exactly squeaky clean, but what he is saying is that we are directly attacking various religions maliciously and callously. This is a well viewed website, and I fear the integrity of the club is at risk if what he is saying is not entirely truthful. Any thoughts on this?

Full article link: Clicky

(You can comment on the article without registering on the page if you so wish.)

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard other teams sing this I am sure...never heard this at firhill in the 25 years i have been going that I can remember.

The Hello Hello song is now outlawed...but still gets a good airing on special ocassions :D

I've not heard the song either (and have left a comment to that effect) but the comment made does apply equally to Hello, Hello. He is making the point that such satire (if that's how you consider it) may be just as likely to fall foul of the law as pro-IRA chants or Derry's Walls. Which is not more than we have already been warned.

The legislation being proposed is likely to be utterly ineffective and seems to be more for show than anything else. (Not that Eck would make a song and dance about something without any underlying substance!!) The police already have sufficient powers - if there is a problem on the legal front it's that these existing powers are not being pursued sufficiently, or perhaps at all.

"We're assured that context matters and that the police and courts can be trusted to implement everything sensibly but wouldn't it be more reassuring not to have to worry about any of this at all? You and I know that the Partick Thistle song "We hate Roman Catholics/We hate Protestants too/We hate Jews and Muslims/Partick Thistle we love you" is a gentle reflection on Glasgow's football crazies but there's bound to be someone upset by it and just as likely that their "concerns" will be treated sympathetically."

Any thoughts on this?

What a c0ck

UPDATE.

"*Edited to clarify: this is a song imagined by Alastair Gray in his short story A Mouth Piece. Sorry Jags fan."

Well at least we got an apology, but you would think that research would be carried out before this sort of thing is posted.

Oh well, I suppose it was worth me besmirching my reputation by being on the Spectator website :rolleyes:

Great song. Used to love belting that out at OF games. Better being a misanthrope than a bigot

Anyone who thinks it wasn`t hugely popular between mid 70`s and mid 80`s either did`nt go to games at the time or is trying to sanitize our history

Or we're going senile. I genuinely can't recall this song at all

Not that fussed. He could have cited Hello Hello.

Outside of the Thistle reference, he has a point, though. The current legislation doesn't actually do anything you couldn't do under a common law charge of breach of the peace from a police perspective and it's likely to fall foul of Art 10 ECHR (freedom of speech) if ever someone is prosecuted under this new act. It just smacks of politicians wanting "to be seen to be doing something" when all that's needed is for the police to be more rigorous in the application of the existing law.

Outside of the Thistle reference, he has a point, though. The current legislation doesn't actually do anything you couldn't do under a common law charge of breach of the peace from a police perspective and it's likely to fall foul of Art 10 ECHR (freedom of speech) if ever someone is prosecuted under this new act. It just smacks of politicians wanting "to be seen to be doing something" when all that's needed is for the police to be more rigorous in the application of the existing law.

Get it to the Supreme Court and give our First Minister something else to get rabid about :-)

Great song. Used to love belting that out at OF games. Better being a misanthrope than a bigot

Anyone who thinks it wasn`t hugely popular between mid 70`s and mid 80`s either did`nt go to games at the time or is trying to sanitize our history

No way is it a great song and if Thistle fans were to sing it in this day and age I'd be utterly ashamed. I do remember a version of the song being sung with the words we hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate Celtic too, we hate Heart of Midlothian but the Thistle we love you. Maybe this could be resurrected next season :thinking:

No way is it a great song and if Thistle fans were to sing it in this day and age I'd be utterly ashamed. I do remember a version of the song being sung with the words we hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate Celtic too, we hate Heart of Midlothian but the Thistle we love you. Maybe this could be resurrected next season :thinking:

In its a day - It was a great song, if you took it as the anti -bigotory , religion has bugger all to do with football statement it was making.

In the 70's and 80's lots of things went on a football matches which would never happen nowadays , and it all added to a great atmosphere, which is sadly missing today in football

Yes never mind the huge drug problems,health,gangsterism rife within our comunities, lack of jobs lets jail football fans for singing songs f**ken joke Salmon :mad2: