Bayern Munich

thornwoodjag

Apparently Bayern put in a bid for Tranmere Rovers player

Dale Jennings.I remember a rovers fan on here raving about

him.Didn't think he was that good to attract one of the giants of

European game.

I can't recall such a transfer between such a small and such a big club.

Alan Hansen to the mighty Liverpool side of the seventies?

Alan Hansen to the mighty Liverpool side of the seventies?

That type of move wasn't so unusual in those days when the transit from Scotland to England was more regular and the gap not as huge. We'd already had Forsyth to Manchester United and Bone to Norwich. Subsequent to Hansen we've had Maurice Johnston to Watford (which he chose over Liverpool - made me think he was a terribly clever and sensible person for doing that). In Hansen's case, what was unusual was how quickly Alan became a first team regular when he was signed as one for the future

What i was trying to get at was the fact it was a team in the third tier of English football going to the top team in the top German league.

Don't think there has been a transfer between clubs with such a difference in class.

Lambert to Dortmund maybe,but it was a top Scottish team to a top German team.

What i was trying to get at was the fact it was a team in the third tier of English football going to the top team in the top German league.

Don't think there has been a transfer between clubs with such a difference in class.

Lambert to Dortmund maybe,but it was a top Scottish team to a top German team.

Can't think of any lately as big a jump as that. Wonder tho' why Inter overlooked Mark McCrystal and Lucas Akins when they were watching the lad at Tranmere? :unsure: .

Here's one that's a bigger jump than Hansen's, John White from Falkirk to Spurs. Falkirk were in the 2nd div and Spurs were probably one of the top five sides in Europe at the time.

Sorry, off topic I know but not worthy of a thread of its own but Rory McAllister signing for Peterhead on a two year deal at that is a rather strange one. I realise that the Blue Toon have got silly money to spend and the Rory fella wants to finish his plumbing exams or whatever but in doing so he's reportedly knocked back a few offers from SPL clubs.

I wouldn't think for a guy in his mid twenties that a move to a third division club, where even if he ends up top scorer means little, could be described as putting your career on hold. I can only imagine that Peterhead then are paying him daft wages. A club that had the misfortune of having two seasons trailing Gretna should know better.

I always wonder why the English-speaking people do not use the original name of place (München/Munich, Firenze/Florence, Lisboa/Lisbon etc.).

The Japanese also use non-original names (such as "Eziputo", coming from Egypt, instead of Misr).

I think that the original names should be respected.

I always wonder why the English-speaking people do not use the original name of place (München/Munich, Firenze/Florence, Lisboa/Lisbon etc.).

The Japanese also use non-original names (such as "Eziputo", coming from Egypt, instead of Misr).

A Dear Green Place kiss just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Most languages have their own versions of many place names, it's not just in Japanese and English that this happens.