Puns

Guest mod7

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do the pun threads affect your use of the forum?

• I like reading through the puns and coming up with my own
    • I'm not bothered about the puns, and will use the forum with them or without them
    • I often avoid threads when they become overrun with puns
    • Due to the frequency of pun threads I am less inclined to visit the forum
  2. 2. How do you feel puns should be dealt with?

• Puns should be left alone
    • Pun threads should be marked with [PUN ALERT] in the title
    • Puns should be moved (split) from topics deemed to be important by the mod team
    • Puns should be kept in the general forum, and deleted if posted in the main jags forum
    • All puns should be deleted

All of you using the forum will have noticed the recent spate of puns from some users and animosity towards them from others. We don't really mind the puns and we usually find them funny. However we also get a bit annoyed sometimes when puns take over an important thread and the topic is lost. It puts people off reading the topics and contributing to the discussion. We don't want to seem to heavy handed with this as it is only a few pun jokes but we also need to respect the wishes of other users. So we reckon a poll is the best way to get the wider opinion of people using the forum, it will also give us something to refer to when dealing with the puns.

If you feel there are any options missing and would like to answer something different from what is available, please leave a comment and we may add it to the poll choices. With this poll we can hopefully make the forum a more enjoyable place for all users.

Any puns posted in this thread will most likely be deleted.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at times, and i may be wrong, but the puns are at times added to a thread when the thread topic and the debate that goes with it has went round in cicles and everyone has agreed to disagree, citing that everyone is entilted to their opinions,the puns are then added to the topic, and i know this may annoy some people, the puns do raise some chuckles when needed

I think at times, and i may be wrong, but the puns are at times added to a thread when the thread topic and the debate that goes with it has went round in cicles and everyone has agreed to disagree, citing that everyone is entilted to their opinions,the puns are then added to the topic, and i know this may annoy some people, the puns do raise some chuckles when needed

if it was one or two then yes, but its not and ends up in some cases being pages of the damnd things

if it was one or two then yes, but its not and ends up in some cases being pages of the damnd things

Maybe it runs into pages because people want to join in? but i take your point, maybe each poster is only allowed 1 or 2 puns per topic, and if they exceed this number, they could be banned from using puns for a specified time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or the pun police can get them :):)

The door should always be left open for a bit of lightening up of threads that otherwise take themselves too seriously.

We appreciate that, however some threads can be taken radically off course, and for important topics this seems to put off over 50% of those who have voted so far from participating in debate.

Also, I fixed your post for you ;)

We appreciate that, however some threads can be taken radically off course, and for important topics this seems to put off over 50% of those who have voted so far from participating in debate.

Also, I fixed your post for you ;)

You didn't fix it; you emasculated it.

B)

I suppose everybody's entitled to their own opunion.

Can't believe it's got to the stage where we are having a poll as to what to do with puns.

If we are going down this route, can we add some more questions to the poll.

1). what should we do with people who send abusive posts about the punsters but continue to use an offensive avatar?

2). what do we do with posters who continually post comments just to provoke a reaction and be controversial?

3). what to do with posters who see positives in being a jags supporter and a bright future and don't see eye to eye with those who don't.

4). What to do with posters who won't slate the old board at every given opportunity ?

I find this poll appalling. We give far too much air space to those who want to send abusive, threatening or intimidating posts to those who dare to have a differing view from them. Some of the things players, manager, board and fellow fans get called on here are pathetic..................still, lets have a poll as to what to do with some guys who dare to have a bit of a laugh on here and cause no offense to anyone.

We can all have differing opinions as to what we want to see from the jags and have views on past, present and future. There are, however, ways to go about it. Good few on here would do well to remember that.

Can't believe it's got to the stage where we are having a poll as to what to do with puns.

1). what should we do with people who send abusive posts about the punsters but continue to use an offensive avatar?

2). what do we do with posters who continually post comments just to provoke a reaction and be controversial?

3). what to do with posters who see positives in being a jags supporter and a bright future and don't see eye to eye with those who don't.

4). What to do with posters who won't slate the old board at every given opportunity ?

I find this poll appalling. We give far too much air space to those who want to send abusive, threatening or intimidating posts to those who dare to have a differing view from them. Some of the things players, manager, board and fellow fans get called on here are pathetic..................still, lets have a poll as to what to do with some guys who dare to have a bit of a laugh on here and cause no offense to anyone.

We can all have differing opinions as to what we want to see from the jags and have views on past, present and future. There are, however, ways to go about it. Good few on here would do well to remember that.

I also thought it was surreal that there was actually a poll on this. But you've articulated my views much better than I would have done if I'd brought it up.

Spot on. You've expressed my sentiments exactly.

I can't say I've noticed puns on this site - until this daft poll appeared. Puns are a childish form of humour, that's why I like them. You don't need to to be an intellectual to crack a pun. People laugh at a jokes but they groan at a pun; because they secretly wish they'd thought of it first. That is why pompous people hate, (and I mean "hate") puns.

signed,

Fairfax Sake,

Gerda Life

Add me in support of lennythistle's post.

Any forum which ends up getting into discussions like this usually end up falling into disuse.

I'm inclined to believe the type of behaviour that is being criticised is actually the indication of a good, lively community of users. That will deteriorate if a forum is over-policed. (That might be appropriate for an "official" forum which is why it's a bad idea to have such things)

I had a post a couple of weeks back which responded to the topic, and included a pun in the last sentence to follow some of the preceding ones. That sentence was deleted along with the other puns - frankly, I just think that's pathetic.

How about an option to find out if over-management of threads in this way will make people less inclined to use the forum. There have been previous instances where I think the moderators have over-sensitive of issues with no good reason.

Edited by Allan Heron

Not wanting to hijack a thread, but I'm just wondering why the decision was made to kill the image linking part of the forum?

I use one other non-football related forum where it works well. I think a picture can potentially say a thousand words.

If it’s a money thing, or maybe a component of the forum you don’t want to pay for then I think it would be worth chipping in for. Maybe even trial it – give it a few weeks in the general forum to see how it pans out?

Another option could be 'should puns only be used with the condition that they keep the thread on topic'. Think the issue is more about one pun (which is on topic) leading to other puns that ain't, i.e responding to the initial pun rather than the topic of the thread.

As an aside, Jaggernaut should be limited to 2 puns per thread :P

Edited by Steven H