Malmo 1-0

Big Dave

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who I occasionally meet for a few drinks.

He has virtually no interest in football but because he knows am a long time Jags fan he sometimes looks up the Thistle websites to see what the latest news is. It also gives us something else to talk about.

He asked me last night why is the current longest thread, by far, on this forum all about Rangers. I told him I didn’t have clue, it happens quite often, but I’ll logon and ask.

So if anyone can explain to my mate Iain why some of us have so much interest in Rangers he’d be interested to hear.

He did put forward a couple of theories but I refuted them entirely.

Seeing as I was responsible for starting this thread, maybe with this explanation I can bring it to an end. I've been going to Firhill since I was a wee boy. I started going in 1974 and watched through the years as Rangers and Celtic would come to our ground and force our fans into the old enclosure. A few hardy souls stood firm in the shed whilst being intimidated by the mob singing all their tribal songs. That coupled with every dodgy decision going their way, hassle at school, old firm this old firm that, I soon built up a hatred for everything old firm. Believe it or not we used to regularly beat them back then. Then Souness came along and my hatred intensified even more, total disregard for any of the other Scottish teams,( mind you the signing of SuperMo did give me a laugh). Bigotry, violence, plucking all the best Scottish players and turning them into dummies, patronizing attitude to all other fans, etc etc etc. So when Artmedia, Kaunas, Malmo etc come along and give the two of them a right good humping I get a lovely warm feeling in my tummy. A feeling all true Jags fans from aroun the world get when they get a horsing from anyone. How many of us have daydreamed about signing for our team and smashing the winning goal against the Old Firm in a cup final? I suppose that's why this thread has gone on so long. There's a lot of brilliant real football fans on here!

I have a friend who I occasionally meet for a few drinks.

He has virtually no interest in football but because he knows am a long time Jags fan he sometimes looks up the Thistle websites to see what the latest news is. It also gives us something else to talk about.

He asked me last night why is the current longest thread, by far, on this forum all about Rangers. I told him I didn’t have clue, it happens quite often, but I’ll logon and ask.

So if anyone can explain to my mate Iain why some of us have so much interest in Rangers he’d be interested to hear.

He did put forward a couple of theories but I refuted them entirely.

You could let him know that there would be just as much "interest" in (contempt for) the tims if a similar result happened.