The Sun's Supergoals A-Z

Dark Passenger

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no, it doesn't, but it has the potential to dent a reputation we've carefully crafted over the last three years. We have to be seen as a club of substance.

Fair enough , i agree we want to be seen as a club of substances but i doubt a small newspaper article will do this much damage , agreed players shouldn't be broadcasting the goings on off the field in newspapers but the whole situation has been blown out of proportion.

Fair enough , i agree we want to be seen as a club of substances but i doubt a small newspaper article will do this much damage , agreed players shouldn't be broadcasting the goings on off the field in newspapers but the whole situation has been blown out of proportion.

it was a full page in the country's biggest selling newspaper and was trailed and promoted on the club's website. not exactly a wee corner of the cumbernauld news that someone spotted by accident.

Ok, maybe moron is a bit strong, how about it makes you someone of low intelligence who is easily led and will believe any old tosh this rag feeds it's readership.

Have a look at this blog

I need to clear this up....i Have my city and guilds in electrical engineering, a degree in electrical engineering, qualifications in air conditioning and both domestic and commercial natural gas, currently employed as a supervisor by one of the countries largest facilities management companies but by your reckoning because i happen to read the sun i'm at best of low intelligence and at worst a moron?

I dont claim to be Einstein, but low intelligence??

Ok, maybe moron is a bit strong, how about it makes you someone of low intelligence who is easily led and will believe any old tosh this rag feeds it's readership.

Have a look at this blog

Good to see Thistle supporters living up to their snobby stereotype.

Of course its only the right wing media's readership who are easily led. Newspapers like the Daily Record are only full of the truth.

and this is exactly why we're ****** as a club. the club works hard to promote family values, free entry, out to schools, has a new sponsor that says its there because holds the same values, has kids zones and family days and wants to be seen as a good alternative to those other two. but the fans don't want that it if this thread is anything to go by. we can't have it both ways. the club's website promoting an article that goes the opposite way from everything they've been doing for the last two/three years is unbelievable. times change and that's why the lambie 90s and wimbledon comparisons are irrelevant. i've lived through and enjoyed those times and many before them so i've seen how it used to be but it aint that anymore.

Thats all fine and well giving free tickets and so on, but theres this myth in football that calling yourself a family club works and it attracts a whole host of extra fans. It doesn't, its not how I and everyone else I know who goes to Firhill arrived. I'm sure if we hand out free rattles and get a drum a up the shed though we'll add an extra 500 fans to the gate every week. :rolleyes:

I need to clear this up....i Have my city and guilds in electrical engineering, a degree in electrical engineering, qualifications in air conditioning and both domestic and commercial natural gas, currently employed as a supervisor by one of the countries largest facilities management companies but by your reckoning because i happen to read the sun i'm at best of low intelligence and at worst a moron?

I dont claim to be Einstein, but low intelligence??

:thumbsup2:

Have a look at this blog

The Sun lies !?!?? :o

Well thank goodness the rest of the press and media are bastions of honesty and truth. :)

People buy the paper that best reflects and justifies their prejudices, whether that be immigrants forcing down house prices or corrupt tory MPs having extra-marital affairs. One page of news and 63 pages of opinion.

With regards to PP's article, perhaps he was trying to convey a sense of camaraderie amongst the players whilst providing some extra publicity for the club he plays for and we support. If he'd stated that all the players were feeling miserable and despondent, it would hardly encourage lapsed supporters to turn out again, would it?

Having read Paton's A-Z in the shop seems I have too much dignity to actually buy The Sun, I couldn't help wondering why we did not get someone else to do it. A few years ago Mark Roberts did something similar in The Record I think, and it was much more entertaining.

Someone with an I.Q. of over, lets say 25, should have been drafted in to do the A-Z. Maybe Kris Doolan, or Alan Archibald. I didn't find it demeaning to the club or anything, I just thought it reflected badly on Paul Paton himself.

And for the record, The Sun is for people who are crazy! Some people will try to deny that, but in the words of the great Joseph Heller in Catch-22, "you can't have crazy people deciding whether your crazy or not." :D

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

Having read Paton's A-Z in the shop seems I have too much dignity to actually buy The Sun, I couldn't help wondering why we did not get someone else to do it. A few years ago Mark Roberts did something similar in The Record I think, and it was much more entertaining.

Someone with an I.Q. of over, lets say 25, should have been drafted in to do the A-Z. Maybe Kris Doolan, or Alan Archibald. I didn't find it demeaning to the club or anything, I just thought it reflected badly on Paul Paton himself.

And for the record, The Sun is for people who are crazy! Some people will try to deny that, but in the words of the great Joseph Heller in Catch-22, "you can't have crazy people deciding whether your crazy or not." :D

So to sum up. I am a crazy moron with low intelligence because I read the sun.

Brilliant thread this.

I thought I'd seen it all on this forum when the thread about the jags fan on the bull run descended into a debate about animal cruelty, but this takes the biscuit.

Some of the posts on here make me ashamed to be a Thistle fan. From potty trained's snobbery to Julie Ann's hand-wringing. It's absolutely pathetic. It's easily the most "un-football" like forum I have ever read. It's more what I'd imagine a Rugby forum to be like. I hope that there arn't too many fans of other clubs reading this thread because it's utterly cringeworthy.

Now, where did I leave my Sun? I need my daily moronic fix.

I thought I'd seen it all on this forum when the thread about the jags fan on the bull run descended into a debate about animal cruelty, but this takes the biscuit.

Some of the posts on here make me ashamed to be a Thistle fan. From potty trained's snobbery to Julie Ann's hand-wringing. It's absolutely pathetic. It's easily the most "un-football" like forum I have ever read. It's more what I'd imagine a Rugby forum to be like. I hope that there arn't too many fans of other clubs reading this thread because it's utterly cringeworthy.

Reading The Sun doesn't make you working class. But if you're still reading the Murdoch press it does suggest your not the full shilling.

likewise

if you think i'm hand-wringing you're further removed from reality than i originally thought. read my posts and others too. if thistle fans think the family club thing is pish (oops!) then the club seems far removed from reality too and someone needs to tell them soon. i happen to think they're right and should be commended for the hard work they've put in. if being a proper football forum is laughing at paton's pish stories then i've definitely missed the point. sad to say it but i think we should be grateful that we're still seen as enough of a diddy club for that not to have become a bigger story.

I've not read Paul's comments in the paper but from what I've read on here I fail to see what the fuss is about.

These are a bunch of sportsmen......they all get up to pranks. Some will amuse people while others will not. It's just part of being a member of a sports squad.

Played Rugby when I was younger and we got up to all kind of high jinx. When I told my parents of some of the jokes we played, they were shocked and found most to be sick and not funny in the slightest. We found it to be a great laugh, harmless and bonded a great team spirit.

Whatever the lads have got up to, seems nothing more than silly pranks that made them laugh. Really what harm has been done?

Ain't gona put me off taking my kids to matches just cos the team play practical jokes on one another. All the players make themselves available to see the young fans and it is something that is greatly appreciated. I'm not naive enough to think the lads are all perfectly behaved at all times but I repeat what harm has their pranks on one another really caused?

All those who are appauled at the lads behaviour, switch on the news and see what has been going on in London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc over the last 4 days..........now that is something to be shocked and angry at.

I've not read Paul's comments in the paper but from what I've read on here I fail to see what the fuss is about.

These are a bunch of sportsmen......they all get up to pranks. Some will amuse people while others will not. It's just part of being a member of a sports squad.

Played Rugby when I was younger and we got up to all kind of high jinx. When I told my parents of some of the jokes we played, they were shocked and found most to be sick and not funny in the slightest. We found it to be a great laugh, harmless and bonded a great team spirit.

Whatever the lads have got up to, seems nothing more than silly pranks that made them laugh. Really what harm has been done?

Ain't gona put me off taking my kids to matches just cos the team play practical jokes on one another. All the players make themselves available to see the young fans and it is something that is greatly appreciated. I'm not naive enough to think the lads are all perfectly behaved at all times but I repeat what harm has their pranks on one another really caused?

All those who are appauled at the lads behaviour, switch on the news and see what has been going on in London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc over the last 4 days..........now that is something to be shocked and angry at.

don't disagree with any of that and don't think i've said i do. the point is that its in the biggest selling national newspaper not a private conversation like the one you had with your parents. that's the difference. would you be happy telling your sickest story to a national newspaper knowing it would be printed with your name and the name of your employer?

FFS , do people on here have nothing else to greet about , every team i have been in takes the piss, winds up and slags each other off , it's team bonding or maybe it's just young guys having a laugh , have none of these moaners never been on a stag do or similair , and how dare any of these intellectual types assume i'm of below average intellegence because of my newspaper !!!! they're the ones living out the stereotype of a thistle fan , it's snobbery.

All I know for sure after reading this thread...some Thistle fans are brilliant at OTT reactions, others are snobs, others are not, some read the sun while others hate it and Thistle players played a practical joke on Paul Cairney. The key question that remains unanswered tho, as I haven't read said article, is did Cairney drink it????

All I know for sure after reading this thread...some Thistle fans are brilliant at OTT reactions, others are snobs, others are not, some read the sun while others hate it and Thistle players played a practical joke on Paul Cairney. The key question that remains unanswered tho, as I haven't read said article, is did Cairney drink it????

Drank half of it before realising. When he did realise he punched Mark Roberts.