Craig Dargo/tam Mcmanus?

BlantyreJag

I have to laugh at some of the crap that was directed at Dundee over the weekend in light of some of the posts. Apparently they're a vile club, scum and cheats for living outwith their means yet that's what's being advocated here. We have a tax bill to clear. The club are working towards that. Dundee didn't and look where it took them. Is that what we want at Firhill?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a fair point. We've got as little an amount of senior players as any club in the league, yep less than teams like Queen of the South. Grehan being here is McCall's fault, but Stewart? Jackie made that choice. You can't afford to have passengers when you're going with so few experienced players. He may turn out to be good, but I've got my doubts and he hadn't kicked a ball in Scottish football before hand, he signed him solely based on him playing at Wolves at the same time as him.

Edited by MWM

I have to laugh at some of the crap that was directed at Dundee over the weekend in light of some of the posts. Apparently they're a vile club, scum and cheats for living outwith their means yet that's what's being advocated here. We have a tax bill to clear. The club are working towards that. Dundee didn't and look where it took them. Is that what we want at Firhill?

I agree with the main point you're making but the bit in bold is true...imo of course :P

Can anyone name an instance over the last 180 minutes where any of the suggested strikers in this thread would have scored where Stewart, Doolan or Grehan missed?

It's one thing to say our strikers, or the sum of our strikers, aren't up to it, HJ, Lindau, TL & others have been saying it for weeks. But for anyone to draw that conclusion based on our last two games is daft.

Nobody's suggesting we need more midfielders, tho' based on these two games the addition of McCann if only from a coaching point of view could well be beneficial, but we need to get balls into our frontmen. Once that happens and if Doolan, Stewart and others are wasting chance after chance then I'll concede that our strikers are our weak spot.

Thats an interesting video , I think you will find a lot of players in all countries will be looking to accept whatever they can over the next couple of weeks until the window closes.

Dargo would be a decent signing for us, not scored much recently but been playing at a higher level so should score more in our division (hopefully)

Thats an interesting video , I think you will find a lot of players in all countries will be looking to accept whatever they can over the next couple of weeks until the window closes.

Dargo would be a decent signing for us, not scored much recently but been playing at a higher level so should score more in our division (hopefully)

Did we not say the same about Jim Hamilton and Amy MacDonald's bloke

There is no arguing with that,it's a completly valid point but from what i've seen this season,at the moment we are going to struggle every game to score goals.Losing another 500 this season because of a total lack of entertainment value is not going to help us pay a tax bill.The spell under McColl when we went without scoring or winning was as bad or not worse than under Campbell ,more of that and our support will crumble forever,the fans need to turn up knowing there is at least the slim chance of a shot on target.We have a pretty good squad but we MUST get a striker.

There is no arguing with that,it's a completly valid point but from what i've seen this season,at the moment we are going to struggle every game to score goals.Losing another 500 this season because of a total lack of entertainment value is not going to help us pay a tax bill.The spell under McColl when we went without scoring or winning was as bad or not worse than under Campbell ,more of that and our support will crumble forever,the fans need to turn up knowing there is at least the slim chance of a shot on target.We have a pretty good squad but we MUST get a striker.

UNLESS a director(s) put up some more cash then we cant sign anyone. Certainly I dont know if Jackie has a nother wage to spend and is being careful about who to sign, but it doesnt look like it. We are SKINT!!! :angry:

We cannot afford any passengers in the squad. If Grehan and the young strikers are not good enough to challenge for first-team starts, they should go out on loan. Ketterer and Stevenson, when fit, could go out on loan too. Those loans could free up some wages to fund one or two additions the squad.

Hopefully, McBeth will be fit soon to provide competition for Cairney. Campbell should given a chance to start on the right of midfield, his best position, in a 4-4-2. Kinniburgh can cover for Paton if necessary.

I think its a fair point. We've got as little an amount of senior players as any club in the league, yep less than teams like Queen of the South. Grehan being here is McCall's fault, but Stewart? Jackie made that choice. You can't afford to have passengers when you're going with so few experienced players. He may turn out to be good, but I've got my doubts and he hadn't kicked a ball in Scottish football before hand, he signed him solely based on him playing at Wolves at the same time as him.

McCall's contract extensions have limited Jackie's options but he had a few options to improve. He re-signed Rowson (rightly), Stewart and Flannigan. But he gave contracts and extensions to young players with little first-team experience.

I will take pelters for saying this. The harsh reality is that we cannot afford full-time football and a youth set-up. The club has to service a large 6 figure debt (even after PropCo) with home crowds of less than 3,000. Then there is the cost of maintaining the stadium. Frankly, we only need the Jackie Husband stand.

Some posters want the directors to more cash into the club but they are already paying for the head office administration. It is easy to spend other people's money. They call it "investment" but the investors would not get their money back. It's time to get real.

We cannot afford any passengers in the squad. If Grehan and the young strikers are not good enough to challenge for first-team starts, they should go out on loan. Ketterer and Stevenson, when fit, could go out on loan too. Those loans could free up some wages to fund one or two additions the squad.

Hopefully, McBeth will be fit soon to provide competition for Cairney. Campbell should given a chance to start on the right of midfield, his best position, in a 4-4-2. Kinniburgh can cover for Paton if necessary.

:o Why? He can't go out on loan and play for the under 19s. I'm assuming that Ian Cameron knows what he's doing and feels the lad will have a better chance to develop playing within his own age group at the moment. That's been a major part of the youth policy up till now. The only real exception being Fraser who we all know has developed physique wise ahead of his age. Ketterer or any other player won't be sent out on loan till they are ready.

As for Stevenson, altho' Cameron is not a fan of doing so, he is entitled to play I think one over age player. I wouldn't be surprised, given the severity of his injury if he makes an exception for Colin.

McCall's contract extensions have limited Jackie's options but he had a few options to improve. He re-signed Rowson (rightly), Stewart and Flannigan. But he gave contracts and extensions to young players with little first-team experience.

I will take pelters for saying this. The harsh reality is that we cannot afford full-time football and a youth set-up. The club has to service a large 6 figure debt (even after PropCo) with home crowds of less than 3,000. Then there is the cost of maintaining the stadium. Frankly, we only need the Jackie Husband stand.

Some posters want the directors to more cash into the club but they are already paying for the head office administration. It is easy to spend other people's money. They call it "investment" but the investors would not get their money back. It's time to get real.

Really doubt we should have re signed Flanigan and I really dont think we should be wasting any money on this lad Stewart from Hearts, any money should be going towards getting in a new striker.

The GRehan signing was McCalls and its ridculous he was given such a long contract. However I remember when McCall first took over there were a number of Campbell duds who had been given long contracts - Sandy Hodge, Graham Gibson, Scott Boyd etc - McCall promptly got rid of them by giving out some of their contract. Theoretically Jackie could do the same with Grehan and I dont understand why not. Grehan has got 9 months left of his contract so if Jackie wanted rid of him he could offer him 5 months etc though I guess at the end of the day it would be for Grehan to decide whether he would accept this or not

He did say in that interview "with the season starting earlier", which indicates to me that he's still got his sights on the SPL. The fact he's been training with us is interesting but I wouldn't read too much into it. Tam McManus has trained with us in the past as well.

Really doubt we should have re signed Flanigan and I really dont think we should be wasting any money on this lad Stewart from Hearts, any money should be going towards getting in a new striker.

The GRehan signing was McCalls and its ridculous he was given such a long contract. However I remember when McCall first took over there were a number of Campbell duds who had been given long contracts - Sandy Hodge, Graham Gibson, Scott Boyd etc - McCall promptly got rid of them by giving out some of their contract. Theoretically Jackie could do the same with Grehan and I dont understand why not. Grehan has got 9 months left of his contract so if Jackie wanted rid of him he could offer him 5 months etc though I guess at the end of the day it would be for Grehan to decide whether he would accept this or not

I agree with you. Adam Strachan was paid off too. IIRC McCall played Scott Boyd out of position at right-back. He could have done a decent job for us in the centre of defence. Cairney was given a 3 year deal!!

There is no need for us to give players deals of 2 years or more. I would offer a year's contract plus club options for one or more additional years.

There is no need for us to give players deals of 2 years or more. I would offer a year's contract plus club options for one or more additional years.

You do that though and we end up in the situation where we lost Craigen and Burns as we only offered them one year deals (ok and Gerry Collins was gonna be the manager)

You do that though and we end up in the situation where we lost Craigen and Burns as we only offered them one year deals (ok and Gerry Collins was gonna be the manager)

Not if you have the additional options which you exercise if you want to keep the player.

Not if you have the additional options which you exercise if you want to keep the player.

And how would that work at a club our size?

If you have everybody on one year deals they're all out of contract at the same time. What we can't pay in wages has got to be compensated by some sort of security.

It's up to the manager to make sure he gives extended deals to the right players. There's been some spectacular failures of judgment in that department in recent years but rarely as poor as the situation that let Craigan & Burns walk away for zilch.