Are Ptfc

twinny

About 5 years ago I suggested the club had a stall at the freshers weeks at the Universities, I also infromed the club I would be happy to take some days annual leave to help man it if they were looking for staff. I received no reply.

The following year I suggested the same thing again and offering my services again said I would take annual leave off my work if they were looking for people to help man stalls. Again I received no word back so just gave up.

But I agree with the poster who started the topic it is a good idea and one the club/Trust should look at. I understand Dundee FC are doing something to promote games to new students at that cities educational establishments

I was at the Glasgow University Freshers Fair today in a business capacity and a few things struck me:

1. The Warriors were there. I saw a lot of tweets through the day that they were at the Sports Fair, which I assume happens in a different part of the campus, but they had a wander through Bute Hall (including their big, kilt-clad mascot) a few times. During this they promoted the fact that student tickets were only £10 and handed out some fliers.

2. There are lots of small societies present who I'm sure couldn't afford the amount that it cost us (multinational) to be there. As such Thistle could possible get a stall quite cheap.

3. The stalls are tiny - you would only need three people to run one effectively.

4. Loads of companies were taking details of students. This would also help make a mailing list for potential fans at Firhill, who could be emailed offers/reminders of games in the future or at times when students are more likely to be around and go to the football (possible promotions...)

In all, I think this would be worth investigating, potentially in tandem with Warriors if costs still prove prohibitive.

I was at the Glasgow University Freshers Fair today in a business capacity and a few things struck me:

1. The Warriors were there. I saw a lot of tweets through the day that they were at the Sports Fair, which I assume happens in a different part of the campus, but they had a wander through Bute Hall (including their big, kilt-clad mascot) a few times. During this they promoted the fact that student tickets were only £10 and handed out some fliers.

2. There are lots of small societies present who I'm sure couldn't afford the amount that it cost us (multinational) to be there. As such Thistle could possible get a stall quite cheap.

3. The stalls are tiny - you would only need three people to run one effectively.

4. Loads of companies were taking details of students. This would also help make a mailing list for potential fans at Firhill, who could be emailed offers/reminders of games in the future or at times when students are more likely to be around and go to the football (possible promotions...)

In all, I think this would be worth investigating, potentially in tandem with Warriors if costs still prove prohibitive.

Yes, it wouldn't cost much to run but we would need something to offer, as the students only go to the freshers fair for freebies. All it takes is a few people (three in the morning then three in the afternoon), I'm sure if we sent Ami and Jaggy McBee or whatever his name is they'd do pretty well encouraging people.

I've done the stall for the swimming and water polo in the sports fair a few times back in the day (it's in the gym hall in the sports centre, the stevenson buidling).

Yes, it wouldn't cost much to run but we would need something to offer, as the students only go to the freshers fair for freebies. All it takes is a few people (three in the morning then three in the afternoon), I'm sure if we sent Ami and Jaggy McBee or whatever his name is they'd do pretty well encouraging people.

I've done the stall for the swimming and water polo in the sports fair a few times back in the day (it's in the gym hall in the sports centre, the stevenson buidling).

Surely we can muster up some free bottles of MacB to give to the students which would be a great freebie. It could be used for drinking or washing in and the fragrance of the flavour would help get rid of the musty smell from the charity shop clothes!!

It's a win-win..

Edited by Vom Itorium

This to me is the old if you want to do it then get your finger out. No point griping on an internet message board like a bunch of old women at a bus stop. The two loads who organised the Firhill Fans Cup thingymabob did it off their own back. Don't think they are even forum regulars but they had an idea, made a plan and successfully organised it. Textbook project management. They didn't come on here and say "Will the club organise a fans football tournament at Firhill?" Thistle have a very small staff but if you want to suggest something or volunteer then contact them. Not by email but by phoning them up with a clear and concise plan with numbers and costs. If you really want to do it then you would.

This to me is the old if you want to do it then get your finger out. No point griping on an internet message board like a bunch of old women at a bus stop. The two loads who organised the Firhill Fans Cup thingymabob did it off their own back. Don't think they are even forum regulars but they had an idea, made a plan and successfully organised it. Textbook project management. They didn't come on here and say "Will the club organise a fans football tournament at Firhill?" Thistle have a very small staff but if you want to suggest something or volunteer then contact them. Not by email but by phoning them up with a clear and concise plan with numbers and costs. If you really want to do it then you would.

Exactly... and precisely why a WeAreThistle Fundraising site has been set-up.

WAT Fundraising

This is about raising awareness rather than funds, but the WAT site allows people to look for volunteers and help with any ideas they have.

It's time people got off their arses and did something to help our football club and realised that we have an extremely small set-up at Firhill who would be grateful of any ideas and help to implement them.

I'd have been happy to do this, and I'm sure many others on here would like to, but we all have our own lives to carry on with and I certainly can't take the time off to go and do this. This is something the club/trust should be looking at.

I'd have been happy to do this, and I'm sure many others on here would like to, but we all have our own lives to carry on with and I certainly can't take the time off to go and do this. This is something the club/trust should be looking at.

Did you not grasp what the last couple of posts said?

What do you think 'THE CLUB' to be? The Trust is a completely separate ineffective issue, but what resources do you think the Club have at hand to make something like this happen?

That was me and a couple of others, it was an ok day considering we had nothing to give away. Got a lot of interest and a lot of email addresses. In the end we did not get enough of them signing up in order to get affiliated with the student union at Strathclyde (was warned beforehand that it would not work, and so it proved).

However, it cost us nothing to get the stall; the number of email addresses we got would be a handy mailing list for the club; the club did help by sending 2 players for a wee while (although that was probably more to do with an individual staff member at the club rather than Thistle themselves who arranged that).

For this sort of thing to work it would require the full backing of the club, our main sponsor and Greaves I'd imagine.

Thing is I did get off my backside 5 years ago to do it and take annual leave off my work, but I was relying on the club to produce leaflets or tickets that could be given out and a stall but never got a response 2 years running.

I realise that there was different personnel at the club back then but I had the annual leave to do it. Now with my forthcoming wedding and honeymoon I cant spare any annual leave for it.

Hand out free ticket vouchers valid for the first home game after term starts. Worst case scenario is you get a bunch of students stumbling out of Murano on the Saturday on the gate helping the numbers and atmosphere a bit for a game. Best case scenario some of them come back.

I was going to suggest exactly the same thing, Woodstock. If even a few dozen turn up initially, some will get bitten by the Thistle bug and decide to return again. If so, then it will be worth it.

Thing is I did get off my backside 5 years ago to do it and take annual leave off my work, but I was relying on the club to produce leaflets or tickets that could be given out and a stall but never got a response 2 years running.

I realise that there was different personnel at the club back then but I had the annual leave to do it. Now with my forthcoming wedding and honeymoon I cant spare any annual leave for it.

Exactly. There needs to be some input from the club if the endgame of this idea is that more people turn up at Firhill.

Did you not grasp what the last couple of posts said?

What do you think 'THE CLUB' to be? The Trust is a completely separate ineffective issue, but what resources do you think the Club have at hand to make something like this happen?

Yes, I know the trust is separate, or I would have just suggested the club. Yes the trust are ineffective, but this is essentially what they SHOULD be doing.

The club have a full time 'Press Officer and Marketing Executive' meaning they have someone in a role that should include this type of thing. I know that I certainly couldn't do the job better than she could. The club are the only people that would have anything to offer, be it match tickets or the free bottles of water which they could perhaps get from MacB. Freshers fairs are during the week, when the majority of fans have jobs and commitments and are unlikely to be able to offer themselves.

I started this thread to ask a question about what is being done or even why not, not so that some fans could get on others backs for not stepping up to the plate.

I started this thread to ask a question about what is being done or even why not, not so that some fans could get on others backs for not stepping up to the plate.

I'm sorry but it was a pointless and totally ineffective post. If you want to ask what is being done call the club, take it upon yourself to ask them and if you are really concerned come up with a workable plan that suits all parties.

I'm sorry but it was a pointless and totally ineffective post. If you want to ask what is being done call the club, take it upon yourself to ask them and if you are really concerned come up with a workable plan that suits all parties.

Mate, I don't even have enough cash to make phone calls.

Yes, I know the trust is separate, or I would have just suggested the club. Yes the trust are ineffective, but this is essentially what they SHOULD be doing.

The club have a full time 'Press Officer and Marketing Executive' meaning they have someone in a role that should include this type of thing. I know that I certainly couldn't do the job better than she could. The club are the only people that would have anything to offer, be it match tickets or the free bottles of water which they could perhaps get from MacB. Freshers fairs are during the week, when the majority of fans have jobs and commitments and are unlikely to be able to offer themselves.

I'm not getting on your back for not stepping up to the plate. I'm merely trying to point out something that I think a lot of fans forget, or simply don't realise.

We may well have Ami, and she may well be the 'Press Officer and Marketing Exec', but just because the title suggests that she should be taking something like this on board doesn't mean she's got the time to do it in amongst every other aspect of the day-to-day running of a football club that is more important, ie preparing everything for a matchday.

Too often there are cries of the club should be doing this, the club should be doing that. People really need to wake up and realise we are a very under resourced football club who needs every little bit of help it can get to put anything in to practice.

As I've pointed out earlier, that's why the guys here at WeAreThistle started the fundraising site. I don't see it being inundated with offers of help or ideas, and what they have done is a very good idea for a club in our situation.

The Trust in my eyes is a deid duck goosed. To ask it to take something like this on board when they've got board-bashing to be done is ridiculous.

Edited by Vom Itorium