One Player, The Best

Jaggernaut

I'm sure the good Lady will not wish to reveal her age, but I was 10 at the time. I do remember Billy Bremner marked Pele who probably still has the scars...Jim Baxter had a Brazilian level of skills...and Steve Chalmers(who later played for Thistle) scored in the first minute - the next day's headline was "Nobody noticed Scotland until they scored."

I recently looked this up and two of the stars of the 1970 World Cup winning Brazil side also played at Hampden that day - Jairzinho, who was the top scorer at that tournament and Gerson, the brilliant midfield general.

Sadly I was too young at the time to really appreciate footballers of that ability...and the previous week I turned down the chance to see Scotland play Portugal...my Dad came back raving about a guy called Eusebio who soon after became the sensation of the '66 World Cup.

Baxter had an excellent game. Thanks to Bremner "eliminating" Pele most agree Baxter was the best player on the night. Was quite amusing to hear Wee Billy getting booed for his spoiling antics.

Think by the time Chalmers arrived at Firhill he was far more interested in getting his golf handicap down to scratch than playing football. Certainly spent more time at Cawder GC than he ever did on the training pitch. As Winter of '63 says would make a cracking quiz question. An ex Jags player who scored against Brazil (and also scored the winning goal in a European final).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, of course. Niven became a legend, for example. Ritchie just wasn't as good a keeper. Watson arrived at Firhill long before being an over-the-hill has-been, etc. But I hope that the days of us signing 35+-year-olds just because they used to play for the h*ns or the tims are behind us.

Thought Bomber Jackson was superb in his short spell.

• Members

Baxter had an excellent game. Thanks to Bremner "eliminating" Pele most agree Baxter was the best player on the night. Was quite amusing to hear Wee Billy getting booed for his spoiling antics.

Think by the time Chalmers arrived at Firhill he was far more interested in getting his golf handicap down to scratch than playing football. Certainly spent more time at Cawder GC than he ever did on the training pitch. As Winter of '63 says would make a cracking quiz question. An ex Jags player who scored against Brazil (and also scored the winning goal in a European final).

Was that also the ex-Jag that scored for Brazil? :)

Thought Bomber Jackson was superb in his short spell.

from what I remember I agree. I never thought much of him as a player before he joined us, but he soon changed my opinion.

re Chalmers, we were young at the time, but we nicknamed him 'wheely' as he was so old & slow we reckoned he needed a wheelchair to get about. Also we used to joke he had a ladder to get up for headers :P

ps was Nicky Walker not seen as washed-up & past it when he joined us? Superb keeper

Thistle - Chico

The other one depends on if we are talking about the best single performance you've seen live or just the best players you happen to have seen. For the former I saw Thomas Rosicky single handedly destroy Slovakia in a Euro qualifier, never seen one person play so well and dominate a game, totally in awe of him. Seen loads of players who would go down as world class, Bergkamp or Henry being personal favourites.

For sheer consistency for me it has to be Jackie Campbell. Skill - it has to be Charnley

Best player ever that I've seen - Maradona. June 1979 - Scorchin' day - Tartan Army was shouting "Ar-gen-tina" over and over after the game and they had to come out for a lap of honour. Maradona's first international goal. Best defeat ever.

Thistle - Chico

The other one depends on if we are talking about the best single performance you've seen live or just the best players you happen to have seen. For the former I saw Thomas Rosicky single handedly destroy Slovakia in a Euro qualifier, never seen one person play so well and dominate a game, totally in awe of him. Seen loads of players who would go down as world class, Bergkamp or Henry being personal favourites.

Agree on where you are coming from here. Though went for Messi as first player since seeing Maradona at Hampden that was a lightbulb moment. Both I believe were 17 at the time I saw them. Maradona was already touted for a future great when he turned up with Argentina to give Scotland the run a round, though Messi was still a bit of an unknown quantity here.

The game against Osasuna was one of his first starts for Barca. He did not score and had a high and wide effort, however the way he went past players for fun was incredible to see. You just knew you were seeing someone special, so much so I called my brother right after the game to tell him I've just seen someone that is going to be sensational.

Not great quality but here is a video of his performance.

Agree on where you are coming from here. Though went for Messi as first player since seeing Maradona at Hampden that was a lightbulb moment. Both I believe were 17 at the time I saw them. Maradona was already touted for a future great when he turned up with Argentina to give Scotland the run a round, though Messi was still a bit of an unknown quantity here.

The game against Osasuna was one of his first starts for Barca. He did not score and had a high and wide effort, however the way he went past players for fun was incredible to see. You just knew you were seeing someone special, so much so I called my brother right after the game to tell him I've just seen someone that is going to be sensational.

Not great quality but here is a video of his performance.

If you're wanting to compare Messi to Maradonna nothing is better than this clip.......amazing

Edited by angry gaz