Hartson In Todays Sun

Lindau

Not at the wind-up, but WHO do you think we should get in?

I was hoping that McNamara would be competent at the start of the season. I feel he has been (relatively) so, but am interested in other fans opinions as to who we could get that is better.

And I don't think that there are many people out there that feel star-struck because of a team McNamara once played for. I seem to remember Murdo Macleod playing for Celtic as well, and I don't think there were many tears shed when he left...

Or Derek Johnstone or Sandy Clarke, who played for the other lot...

Neil Lennon would keep us in the news and could be available. OK I am at the wind up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking that this is the complete list of OF players that eventually became our manager?:

Davie Meiklejohn

Willie Thornton

Scott Symon

Bertie Auld

Peter Cormack

Derek Johnstone

Sandy Clark

Murder McLeod

Gerry Britton/Derek Whyte

Ian McCall

Jackie McNamara

Jimmy Bone doesn't count, though he turned out for the tims a few times after he left us. Out of that list, only Bertie Auld stands out as achieving anything of note (keeping us competitive!), though I guess that Willie Thornton did take us to the Fairs City Cup.

Where on earth is Benny Rooney?

Re Jimmy Bone - He played for the eastend ugly sister in 73-74 and 74-75, so on what basis does he not count??

Also, can you please remind me which one of the ugly sisters Peter Cormack ever played for?

Edited by Barney Rubble

1. No, but all this "Jaggy Mac" nonsense is cringeworthy

2. And who is to say a more experienced manager wouldn't have us 6 points clear at the top of the league?

3. You're comparing MacNamara with John Lambie? Can I have a pint of what you're drinking?

4. You were coming up with at least SOME degree of sanity until this utter spheres! What the flying f*** are you on about mate?

5. 4 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses. All I'm saying is I'm losing my patience with this noob.

well go and support another mob we are three points of third top what a load of bollocks

1. No, but all this "Jaggy Mac" nonsense is cringeworthy

2. And who is to say a more experienced manager wouldn't have us 6 points clear at the top of the league?

3. You're comparing MacNamara with John Lambie? Can I have a pint of what you're drinking?

4. You were coming up with at least SOME degree of sanity until this utter spheres! What the flying f*** are you on about mate?

5. 4 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses. All I'm saying is I'm losing my patience with this noob.

well go and support another mob we are three points of third top what a load of bollocks

Yeah I think I'll go support Pollok Juniors. Cheers for the tip mate.

Woot! One less Jags fan. Less dough coming into the club. One more step towards oblivion. Way to go MATE.

Sometimes I despair of Jags fans. As soon as someone goes off-message a la official board approved doctrine it's all "GTF"..... "Go and support someone else"..... "I'm putting you on ignore"....

Great stuff.

It's a perfectly valid point being made by HamiltonJag, this sort of response is out of line. We're well into November and only a couple of big home wins against lower half teams (which Ayr and Morton usually are, I know Morton were top at the time but look at their form since) are making the situation look half-respectable. 1 goal (a penalty) from our last three games does not suggest we are improving, if anything the opposite. I'm not calling for his head but his overall affability and intelligence doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism.

Any amount of experienced managers currently seeking employment.

Take your pick.

But then as Jags fans we're star-struck with a washed-out old firm hero jsu because he once played for the mighty shellik. We are not worthy oh Jaggy Mac! We don't mind the fact that we're losing points cos we WUV YOU ya big shellik hero.

Some Thistle fans need to get some pride

H*n. :rolleyes:

Where on earth is Benny Rooney?

Re Jimmy Bone - He played for the eastend ugly sister in 73-74 and 74-75, so on what basis does he not count??

Also, can you please remind me which one of the ugly sisters Peter Cormack ever played for?

According to Wiki, Rooney never played for the tims except for their youths, so I left him out.

Bone was a Jag before he was (very briefly) a tim, so I left him out.

Cormack is indeed an error (big error to appoint him at Firhill); he played for one of the Edinburgh ugly cousins, rather than one of the big sisters.

Yeah I think I'll go support Pollok Juniors. Cheers for the tip mate.

Woot! One less Jags fan. Less dough coming into the club. One more step towards oblivion. Way to go MATE.

Sometimes I despair of Jags fans. As soon as someone goes off-message a la official board approved doctrine it's all "GTF"..... "Go and support someone else"..... "I'm putting you on ignore"....

Great stuff.

My old man has stopped following Thistle for no other reason than because how he feels his fellow supporters treated him.

There is nothing wrong with us having differing opinions but it's how those opinions are expressed that are important.

It's a perfectly valid point being made by HamiltonJag, this sort of response is out of line. We're well into November and only a couple of big home wins against lower half teams (which Ayr and Morton usually are, I know Morton were top at the time but look at their form since) are making the situation look half-respectable. 1 goal (a penalty) from our last three games does not suggest we are improving, if anything the opposite. I'm not calling for his head but his overall affability and intelligence doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism.

Some valid points yeah. Most of it is nothing short of abuse towards the club manager and supporters.

Some valid points yeah. Most of it is nothing short of abuse towards the club manager and supporters.

Abuse?

Please enlighten me:

Abuse of the club?

The supporters?

I'm a bit (more than a bit) annoyed at the apparent "can do no wrong" attitude some have when it comes to our current manager. He is under-achieving to almost Campbell-esque levels. Yet we still read and hear all this "Jaggy Mac" stuff. Sorry if I offended anyone but I can stand this bizarre and unwarranted hero-worship no longer.

I'm not really too fussed at the moment. After all, this time of year it's customary for our team's form to go right down the toilet. There's often a rally come January/February, a flirtation with the old cup run, then the season winds down to mid-table tedium and 'security' by the start of April. :blush:

I'm not really too fussed at the moment. After all, this time of year it's customary for our team's form to go right down the toilet. There's often a rally come January/February, a flirtation with the old cup run, then the season winds down to mid-table tedium and 'security' by the start of April. :blush:

I totally agree.

However, if we were, in the near future, forced to look for a new, dynamic, thrusting coach/manager combo, there can be only one choice. Bringing to Firhill a new atmosphere of dignity, respect and professionalism, allow me to present, the new Management Team

He's been in the job less than half a full season FFS, by all accounts we have at times played some great football, its inconsistency thats our downfall and thats what you get with a young squad which is all we can afford. He needs 18 months before this topic comes up.

We are starting to sound like glory hunters from the other dark sides of the city

He's been in the job less than half a full season FFS, by all accounts we have at times played some great football, its inconsistency thats our downfall and thats what you get with a young squad which is all we can afford. He needs 18 months before this topic comes up.

We are starting to sound like glory hunters from the other dark sides of the city

Well said mate!! I didnt want Jackie as boss and said so on the forums at the time, but we need to give him some time to really stamp his own personality on the side. End of season AT LEAST!!!

Well said mate!! I didnt want Jackie as boss and said so on the forums at the time, but we need to give him some time to really stamp his own personality on the side. End of season AT LEAST!!!

Out of curiosity, would that apply if we sink to bottom place and start looking like we might stay there?

Before anybody wets their knickers, the question is just out of curiosity!

Out of curiosity, would that apply if we sink to bottom place and start looking like we might stay there?

Before anybody wets their knickers, the question is just out of curiosity!

If we had lost all our games so far, yes i'd agree with some of the calls for change but we've not, we have beaten top of the league by 5 goals at home, broke our hoodoo at dens, but we have also lost games we should have won.

Look at who is in this league this year who have bigger budjets and expectations than us

Dundee

Livi

Falkirk

Morton

Accies

Thats 5 out of 10 that are expected to be challenging, add to that Ross Countys exceptional start (with a settled squad and manager) and we are probably where we should be, we are a mid table club these days after years of financial mismanagement and decline, anytthing above 5th is a huge bonus with the squad, its age and inexperience of the management team

This.

I've seen three games this season (Hamilton, QoS and Dross Cunty all at home) and the style of football we are playing this year is an order of magnitude better than under iMac. And please do not read that as a criticism of the previous incumbent.

My guess is that Jaggy Mac has a more innovative approach than iMac, due to better and probably more up-to-date contacts.

I think he's putting together the foundation of a business model that will serve PTFC very well in the future. It may mean that we have to get used to a L*mbie style revolving door policy.

But with money coming into the club this time round.

If we had lost all our games so far, yes i'd agree with some of the calls for change but we've not, we have beaten top of the league by 5 goals at home, broke our hoodoo at dens, but we have also lost games we should have won.

Look at who is in this league this year who have bigger budjets and expectations than us

Dundee

Livi

Falkirk

Morton

Accies

Thats 5 out of 10 that are expected to be challenging, add to that Ross Countys exceptional start (with a settled squad and manager) and we are probably where we should be, we are a mid table club these days after years of financial mismanagement and decline, anytthing above 5th is a huge bonus with the squad, its age and inexperience of the management team

Ross County have arguably the biggest budget in the league. Falkirk, however, have done better than most expected.

Our worst result of the season (league) has been 2-0 defeat. Sure, we ain't scoring just now and it needs to improve and quick, but defensively we are improving. The league we are in is probably the toughest it has been in many many a year.

Jackie has made mistakes, of course he has and I'm more than certain he'd admit to that. He is trying to build something positive, it needs to be given time. Far more time than some seem willing to give him. There is some raw talent at the club who could become very good players. Of course we could just slate that and tell them they are crap when they dare make mistakes, cos that will help their development no end, won't it.

Some want to have a go at anyone who dares to show a bit of support towards the club. Seems if you don't come on day after day and just slag off every thing to do with the club then you are an idiot, a happy clapper, a moron.

Jags fans, we're the best bar none. Yeah right.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The only things I don't like about McNamara is that he tolerates Paton and Erskine.

Everything else he is doing is fine for now, indeed we have taken 4 points from our last 2 away games which I know is just a small step but its a positive one all the same, we also have not conceded a goal.

Ross County have arguably the biggest budget in the league. Falkirk, however, have done better than most expected.

Our worst result of the season (league) has been 2-0 defeat. Sure, we ain't scoring just now and it needs to improve and quick, but defensively we are improving. The league we are in is probably the toughest it has been in many many a year.

Jackie has made mistakes, of course he has and I'm more than certain he'd admit to that. He is trying to build something positive, it needs to be given time. Far more time than some seem willing to give him. There is some raw talent at the club who could become very good players. Of course we could just slate that and tell them they are crap when they dare make mistakes, cos that will help their development no end, won't it.

Some want to have a go at anyone who dares to show a bit of support towards the club. Seems if you don't come on day after day and just slag off every thing to do with the club then you are an idiot, a happy clapper, a moron.

Jags fans, we're the best bar none. Yeah right.

A shame that a good post got spoiled by the simplistic generalization at the end. Hopefully you'll recognize that what you wrote can easily and accurately be changed so that it becomes: "Some want to have a go at anyone who dares show a bit of criticism towards the club. Seems if you don't come on day after day and just praise everything to do with the club then you are an idiot, an Old Firm-like glory hunter, a moron."

I suppose the last bit still applies.

B)

The only things I don't like about McNamara is that he tolerates Paton and Erskine.

Everything else he is doing is fine for now, indeed we have taken 4 points from our last 2 away games which I know is just a small step but its a positive one all the same, we also have not conceded a goal.

If there's anything positive then that is it, along with the two clean sheets (and only one conceded last week). The defence is looking solid enough and we have two good keepers, but we're (a) creating too few real chances for our strikers, and (B) our strikers aren't scoring; it's now getting on for two months since any of them scored.

A shame that a good post got spoiled by the simplistic generalization at the end. Hopefully you'll recognize that what you wrote can easily and accurately be changed so that it becomes: "Some want to have a go at anyone who dares show a bit of criticism towards the club. Seems if you don't come on day after day and just praise everything to do with the club then you are an idiot, an Old Firm-like glory hunter, a moron."

I suppose the last bit still applies.

B)

I do genuinely believe there is a more aggressive approach taken by those who want to have a go. I've said in previous posts that that having differing opinions is good, there is just ways of going about getting your point across. It's certainly the way in which some of the criticism is done that I don't like, not in the main, the fact that some want to complain.