Team Gb

lennythistle

So, we Scots don't want to be part of team GB at the Olympics next year, because we are scared of losing our identity.

This got me thinking (dangerous I know but bare with me)

Top job in SFA is being held by an Englishman. Rest of SFA are a bunch of nobodies and never has beens.

No self respecting Scottish manager with an average IQ wants the national managers job, so we have a man with the personality of a crash test dummy doing it....with very limited success.

Our selection policy is to pick Englishman, who would never have been good enough to play for England. We are even now even saying, that if you are from any country but went to school in Scotland then we'll let you play football for us. So basically, once the poor sods have been through the Scottish educational system, the only job prospect they have is to play football for us.

Of our domestic top flight league, one team longs to be Irish, one English, another Lithuanian and one has been telling everyone for years that they are Arabs.

And we are scared of losing our identity!

Edited by lennythistle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The whole 'losing identity' argument is cringe.

I would love to see a top quality team GB, and if any of our players were good enough, it would be great to see them involved. Playing alongside guys like Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey and some of the young English players can only benefit the national set up.

I would love to see a top quality team GB, and if any of our players were good enough, it would be great to see them involved. Playing alongside guys like Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey and some of the young English players can only benefit the national set up.

How would you feel if no Scots were deemed good enough?

How would you feel if the national set up disappeared because other FIFA nations finally objected to the 4 UK "regions" uniquely having the right to enter 4 teams at international level?

For me the whole "Yeah, yipee, team GB!!" is cringeworthy.

Edited by Jaggernaut

How would you feel if the national set up disappeared because other FIFA nations finally objected to the 4 UK "regions" uniquely having the right to enter 4 teams at international level?

and yet Scotland are two players away from a team GB. :P

We have only a few players born before 1/1/87 who could in contention anyway - Barry Bannan, Danny Wilson, Grant Hanley and Gregg Wylde.

Stuart Pearce, even without them, could pick a team of Premier League players. He will probably pick an experienced goalkeeper as one of the over-age players. It looks like Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey will make themselves available.

Here's a list of the some of the EPL players who are first-team regulars and qualify by age

Martin Kelly (Liverpool)

Gareth Bale (Spurs)

Phil Jones (Man Utd)

Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal)

Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Jack Wilshire (Arsenal)

Jack Rodwell (Everton)

Gareth Bale (Spurs)

Danny Welbeck (Man Utd)

Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa)

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)

Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)

Tom Cleverley (Man United)

Andy Carroll (Liverpool)

Danny Welbeck (Man United)

Pearce's main problem is that several will be in the English senior squad for Euro 2012. Even so, Team GB should, with 3 over age-players allowed in the squad, be one of the strongest teams. The weakness is, in fact, Pearce whose managerial track record is not great.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I certainly wouldn't call it cringe. I enjoy watching good football.

If no Scots were deemed good enough then thats a sign of the times. Might lead to that clown Martin Wotte doing something about it. I think a British national team is quite a thought, it will never happen though.

We have only a few players born before 1/1/87 who could in contention anyway - Barry Bannan, Danny Wilson, Grant Hanley and Gregg Wylde.

Stuart Pearce, even without them, could pick a team of Premier League players. He will probably pick an experienced goalkeeper as one of the over-age players. It looks like Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey will make themselves available.

Here's a list of the some of the EPL players who are first-team regulars and qualify by age

Martin Kelly (Liverpool)

Gareth Bale (Spurs)

Phil Jones (Man Utd)

Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal)

Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Jack Wilshire (Arsenal)

Jack Rodwell (Everton)

Gareth Bale (Spurs)

Danny Welbeck (Man Utd)

Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa)

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)

Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)

Tom Cleverley (Man United)

Andy Carroll (Liverpool)

Danny Welbeck (Man United)

Pearce's main problem is that several will be in the English senior squad for Euro 2012. Even so, Team GB should, with 3 over age-players allowed in the squad, be one of the strongest teams. The weakness is, in fact, Pearce whose managerial track record is not great.

Two sets of identical twins in the same team, would that be a first? :thinking:

but they are not so there would never be any scottish player in the team would there

Edited by jaggybunnet

I like the idea of a team GB, however as Jaggernaut has mentioned FIFA might very well look for any reason to merge the home nations FAs despite their assurances they wont.

In the end though, football to me shouldn't be an Olympic sport. The ethos of the Olympics don't suit modern day football. The Olympics should be seen as the pinnacle of an athlete's career and for a footballer the Olympics doesn't come close to the European Championships (or continental equivalents), the Champions League or the World Cup.

I like the idea of a team GB, however as Jaggernaut has mentioned FIFA might very well look for any reason to merge the home nations FAs despite their assurances they wont.

In the end though, football to me shouldn't be an Olympic sport. The ethos of the Olympics don't suit modern day football. The Olympics should be seen as the pinnacle of an athlete's career and for a footballer the Olympics doesn't come close to the European Championships (or continental equivalents), the Champions League or the World Cup.

Agree 100%. Also no place for golf or tennis at the olympics either.