Spl To Consider Safe Terracing

northernsoul

The whole City End scenario was a shambles, as to be expected with who was running the club at the time.

In regards to the safe terracing, I think it would great if it was allowed. The standing areas in Germany seem to work well, with no problems of overcrowding or crushing, and they are dealing with much larger crowds than what will be in the SPL. Would be good if it was introduced into the SFL too, for grounds that don't have terracing, although I realise that may be a needless, and costly expense.

The main thing in the article is that Neil Doncaster is actually listening to the fans.

It's news to me that Scotland was essentially exempt from the Taylor report (section from the BBC safe standing areas report below)

Scotland is notbound by the law which banned standing areas in top-flight football in England, which came into force after the Taylor Report into the Hillsborough disaster.

Edited by gianlucatoni

It's news to me that Scotland was essentially exempt from the Taylor report (section from the BBC safe standing areas report below)

Scotland is notbound by the law which banned standing areas in top-flight football in England, which came into force after the Taylor Report into the Hillsborough disaster.

Perhaps it is a loophole that nobody was aware of previously? Otherwise why did we have to build such large seated areas?

Clubs were well aware of the exemption. However, all seated stadia were perceived as having much greater potential to increase revenue and have succeeded in the sense that they have driven up the costs of going to games. Slightly ironic that standing areas is on the agenda as a means to counter the number of empty seats at £25 - £40 a pop in the SPL.

Neil Doncaster was on the radio and emphasised that it wasn't about re-opening old terracing. It will require roofing and barrier seating as per Germany. There is likley to be a good financial outlay to achieve it and without a guarantee that fans will flock back. Fans would probably relocate from seats to safe terracing and it is questionable as to how many new fans this will attract, on its own.

Neil Doncaster was on the radio and emphasised that it wasn't about re-opening old terracing. It will require roofing and barrier seating as per Germany. There is likley to be a good financial outlay to achieve it and without a guarantee that fans will flock back. Fans would probably relocate from seats to safe terracing and it is questionable as to how many new fans this will attract, on its own.

Would it be that expensive to alter some seated areas into sections that can act as seating and terracing? There are three examples I've highlighted below, whilst the second would be fairly expensive, I don't think the first and third examples would be so costly or difficult. The third one does look pretty crap, but shows that all that needs done is a barrier placeb behind each row of seats. This could be done to the whole of section one in the Jackie Husband stand. It isn't an expense I would want us to look at right now though. There is no point looking at changing our stadium when we're not sure how much longer we'll be here.

safe-standing.jpg

So there's no way it's gonna happen at SFL level. The only people this will benefit are the clubs who already have terracing. Ross County will be DELIGHTED by this.

Clubs were well aware of the exemption. However, all seated stadia were perceived as having much greater potential to increase revenue and have succeeded in the sense that they have driven up the costs of going to games. Slightly ironic that standing areas is on the agenda as a means to counter the number of empty seats at £25 - £40 a pop in the SPL.

make the standing area a tenner and it would be mobbed every week

Walshes%20Meadow%209.jpg

:lol: quality!!!

don't think the other example will work for safe standing - what happens in that area when some sit down while others want to stand behind their seats/barrier combo - looks like it'll lead to a right few barneys - where is that anyway??

i'm sure i saw the superbowl in some universities stadium a few years ago - it seated about 100k but they said seats could be removed to make safe standing areas and it lifted the capacity to 130k - seats and standing don't mix.

:lol: quality!!!

don't think the other example will work for safe standing - what happens in that area when some sit down while others want to stand behind their seats/barrier combo - looks like it'll lead to a right few barneys - where is that anyway??

i'm sure i saw the superbowl in some universities stadium a few years ago - it seated about 100k but they said seats could be removed to make safe standing areas and it lifted the capacity to 130k - seats and standing don't mix.

A safe seating area would be a standing only or seating only area depending on the game I suppose. If someone bought a ticket for a standing area and moaned that people were standing they'd have to be an idiot to complain about it. I'm sure I've seen pictures of some grounds with this type of think where the seats can be locked up so that they can't be used.

I heard Mr Gilmour at St Mirren isn't too happy with the idea. Something along the lines of converting areas that they've just forked out good money on for seating. My short term memory is fading fast but I can still recall comments from the same chappie seven or eight years ago.so I'll play my greater good for Scottish football card to trump him.

Oh no Chick Young doesn't agree. He also says it would not be possible to sell booze at Firhill but not at the Old Firm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/16275396.stm

I can't believe he is paid to write for the BBC, the other blog writers are either funny, informative or both. He is completely lacking in either.

Oh no Chick Young doesn't agree. He also says it would not be possible to sell booze at Firhill but not at the Old Firm.

http://news.bbc.co.u...nd/16275396.stm

I can't believe he is paid to write for the BBC, the other blog writers are either funny, informative or both. He is completely lacking in either.

What a *****. Water and ice in whisky.

As for his points, does he not understand that if fans were allowed to drink it would not be allowed in areas fans can see the pitch? So those getting drunk will be in the concourse and near the toilets. Also, can he not think independently and see that terraces are not to blame for most of the ills he blames on them? Well policed terraces with segregated supports will not see people pissing down each others legs or starting fights. He moans about not being able to see past people who are standing when he's sitting at a concert, this happens at football matches too - why not give fans who want to stand an area that they are allowed to stand in?

Of course the most cost effective way to solve this problem is to let all clubs do what we do with 'The Shed' (including in the away ends). That is to say turn a blind eye to 40 or so people standing at the very back of stands who are blocking nobodies view and tell the stewards not to bother with it.

Of course the most cost effective way to solve this problem is to let all clubs do what we do with 'The Shed' (including in the away ends). That is to say turn a blind eye to 40 or so people standing at the very back of stands who are blocking nobodies view and tell the stewards not to bother with it.

Far too sensible, never going to happen.

They should only have made Liverpool have an all seater stadium because let's face it, it's they scumbags who caused all the problems, be it Heysel or Hillsborough. I hope the Police do grant their wish to get the Police reports about Hillsborough released because i'm 99% sure that they will be found out to be at fault, as they were at Heysel where they murdered those 39 Juve fans and injured another 600. Don't see why they punished everyone else for hooliganism by Liverpool fans. Same as drink in in football grounds. They only should have stopped it at the problem grounds, not punished innocent people.