Perfect Xmas Dinner?

Chicofan

I'm not great fan of Turkey myself so I was wondering if other people were the same and what there favourite 3 course dinner was at xmas?

Starter

Pate and Crusty Bread and nice home made soup.

Main

Roast beef, Roast Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Broccoli and Cauliflower all with some cracking gravy.

Desert

Sherry Trifle

Lovely

A nice homemade broth for me for starters while mrs lucaT prefers a double starter of fresh grapefruit followed by prawn cocktail. It's melon for the kids.

I'm not a fan of the tasteless turkey either and usually have quality stuffed chicken and beef double roast combo served with a trio of potato - mashed, roast and parmentier - and a medley of vegetables from the pot - peas & carrots - as well as roasted veg - parsnips/leeks/shallots/red onion - and a few of the ubiquitous sprouts. Homemade chicken and beef gravies made from deglazing the roasting pans and adding flour and stock.

Always a homemade xmas pud (my maws recipe handed down) which is currently hanging up drying out in a muslin cloth - kids hate it so they usually have profiteroles, trifle or ice cream.

All washed down with loads of ethanol bases substances with the mother-in-law doing the dishes - perfect! :thumbsup2:

My mum is allergic to poultry so until I met Mr. Getting Jaggy when I was 22 I had never had a turkey dinner :)

My ultimate home Christmas dinner is:

Starter - smoked salmon on buttery toast (mmmmmmmm!)

Main - steak pie, roasties, chips, veg, gravy, salad

Dessert was always my domain. Still is. I make all our desserts and usually all the wee sweet treats for afterwards. Most recently my favourite make is white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake, with peanut butter cups and mini christmas puddinis for treats later...but I do a mean key lime pie too.

So, not exactly traditional, but that's my ultimate "home for Christmas" dinner.

As for what I have now, Mr. Getting Jaggy is a mean cook and does an absolutely brilliant, proper, traditional dinner. I'm a convert to the like of turkey and cranberry sauce...

No sprouts? I ******* love sprouts, and hate it when people arse about with them by not cooking them properly and adding bacon and walnuts.

Also, it has to be roast turkey at Christmas. Never understood why people don't like it. In the last few months I've probably cooked with turkey twice a week. Last week I had a lovely turkey breast stuffed with sundried tomatoes and goats cheese.

No sprouts? I ******* love sprouts, and hate it when people arse about with them by not cooking them properly and adding bacon and walnuts.

Also, it has to be roast turkey at Christmas. Never understood why people don't like it. In the last few months I've probably cooked with turkey twice a week. Last week I had a lovely turkey breast stuffed with sundried tomatoes and goats cheese.

Totally agree :happy2: ,

apart from the highlighted bit. :puke:

Totally agree :happy2: ,

apart from the highlighted bit. :puke:

I tend to hate tomatoes myself but don't mind them when I can't detect the texture and other flavours mask most of their flavour. It was the first time I'd ever had goats cheese and I can't remember there being anything objectionable about it.

Turkey is tasteless its like fake chicken...a sorry excuse for a roast meat...I reckon most people only eat it as it forced upon them at xmas by traditionalist control freaks who say "its xmas we've got to have turkey" what a load of snoddy!!!

My old dear tried to give me and my brother it when we were nippers and we told her straight "mum this is ghastly" and she never made it again.

Canny beat a bit a beef :-)

Turkey is tasteless its like fake chicken...a sorry excuse for a roast meatM

My old dear tried to give me and my brother it when we were nippers and we told her straight "mum this is ghastly"

Two points on this:

1. agreed - turkey is chicken lite - it's the devil in disguise!

2. what a posh nipper you were!

Cannae stand all the palaver over Xmas dinner. Best one I ever had was a Xmas Day meal oot in an Indian. Chicken Madras washed down with draught Cobra simply cannot be beaten

Good shout, HJ. A great Indian place near us is doing a full Indian Xmas dinner - 3 course - for £20 a head, and a tenner for weans. Great deal, but I'm gubbed for this year, so next year it's Banglamas grub for Team Blackpool Jags.