Partick Thistle 2-3 Livingston - Livitv Match Highlights

LIVItv

• Members

After saying the last two goals looked like defensive miscommunication between the keeper and the defenders, I think I'm going to change my mind. I don't think Ryan should have come for either through ball, the first one he ended up tackling Archie ending his challenge for the ball and the second he just got in the way of Robertson stopping him making a challenge resulting in a poor clearance. Did look a suspect challenge on Robertson as well leading up to the thrid. He did get 'done' watching the man and not the ball for the second though. He should have stopped that before it got through to the goalscorer.

The third goal especially highlighted just how immobile we are through the centre of the defence. Archie is ok as a stopper, but he just cant cope with the ball played in behind and Robertson struggles with that as well. I actually think Paton in the centre sitting in behind the two centrehalfs would be the best option. Quick enough to get to the danger, and aggressive enough to do something about it.

I think you are spot on Will apart from I think Scully had to come for the third goal, Boulding gets in front of Roberson and would leave him one on one. Scully needed to get a lot more on the kick.

The whole defence struggled with the pace of livi and Roberson I think will lose his place to Kinniburgh or Balatoni on Saturday.

Livi could be a dark horse next year; they have some good young players and an experienced manager who knows how to win this division.

The whole defence struggled with the pace of livi and Roberson I think will lose his place to Kinniburgh or Balatoni on Saturday.

I came away from Firhill on Saturday not really thinking that much about the ifs & buts re Scully. I was more annoyed at the defensive set up. I'm not dismissing the value of playing 3-5-2, our two wingbacks can flourish playing that system. Broken record time for me but playing three centrebacks, none of whom will cross the halfway line in open play, at home is far too negative. McCall started it and I thought we might have seen the last of it when the likes of Maxie and Jackie retired and John Robbo moved on. I really think at the level we play at we could risk having one of a back three break ranks and help out in attack.

Then again I'm arguing with myself as Saturday's trio must be about the slowest cumbersome back three we've played. Archie is simply Archie and I don't really expect him soaring forward but the other two have played midfield. Oh, hang on, even when they play midfield they don't go forward.

Hopefully if we continue with a 3-5-2 next season's version will have more pace, versatility and flair somewhere within the threesome.

For Livi's first, there were 4, 5 or even 6 Thistle players running alongside their player without putting in a challenge before he shot.

Oh, and the ball never crossed the line. :innocent:

For their second, if Scully decided to go for it, he shouldn't have gone in feet first, but should have shielded the goal with his body.

For the third, our defender is woeful, and Scully's was unlucky that his clearance dropped at the feet of their scorer; it could just have easily fallen into a much less dangerous position.

Edited by Jaggernaut

What a sublime back-heel from Erskine setting up Cairney for the first goal!! Sinky's free kick was a belter. The Jags really should have won that game.

Scully had three great saves, whereas there keeper only had one good one (and one that was for the cameras only). So, Livi certainly played a big part in their victory. The game could have gone either way, but it was largely a self-inflicted defeat, and that makes it painful.

For Livi's first, there were 4, 5 or even 6 Thistle players running alongside their player without putting in a challenge before he shot.

Oh, and the ball never crossed the line. :innocent:

For their second, if Scully decided to go for it, he shouldn't have gone in feet first, but should have shielded the goal with his body.

For the third, our defender is woeful, and Scully's was unlucky that his clearance dropped at the feet of their scorer; it could just have easily fallen into a much less dangerous position.

That's just it, I think in the past Scully has received better protection from the defence. As the defence was aware of the keeper being young and inexperienced they have worked harder, and on this occasion slipped up and allowed that first shot (which he still should have been able to hold though).

The second, I think he was right to come out for it, it was just a poor challenge and he'll learn from it. Coming in feet first is potentially dangerous, and also doesn't guarantee getting the ball. He needed to work harder to smother the ball there.

For the third, I think he was right to come again, however he needed to get the ball to half way or out the park. So the problem doesn't seem to be his decision making, but the first mistake knocked his confidence leading to the others. These are things that can be coached and improved upon though.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The central defenders need to take a long hard look at themselves after that debacle.

Young Scully didn't cover himself in glory, but he received no support from any of them, particularly Archi.

Archi is an embarassment of a captain.