Ayr, Train, Pubs And Of Hordes

alx

I'm toying with the idea of making a day of it in Ayr, getting the train down etc. But with celtic playing Killie earlier in the day, for the league, things could get a bit tricky on Ayrshire trains and pubs. Normal places that you might go to (eg Browns) may well have bouncers on the door. There could be a complete ban on football colours. On the other hand a jags top might smooth things over. Anyone planning the same? it could be worth abandoning the day out idea and just getting the J'Hill bus.

I'll be going on the train but anytime from 11.30 onwards should be tim free. Assume the pleasure of a visit to Ayr could be compromised (pubs showing the match). I usually pop into the 19th Hole (one of the pubs nearer the ground). but that's not a child friendly hostelry if you're taking the young one, Alex?

I was going to get the return out of Ayr (time for a pint after the game) but may now just get the earlier train from Newton.

Not certain on times etc, but pretty sure a few of us are getting the train. A few seasons ago, 1st game of the season, several groups of Jags ended up in a wee pub about 10 mins from the ground and all walked to the ground en masse while singing wur wee hearts oot. Can't mind the name of the pub, but don't think we will be 'bothered' by Celtic fans there.

Haven't checked, Steven, but fairly sure trains are every half hour with the ones on the hour not stopping at Newton.

Thanks :) but I meant not sure what time we're leaving. It would normally be quite early but as that lot have an early kick off in Killie I'm not sure.

Thanks chaps. Maybe it won't be that bad. 19th hole would hopefully be okay if the pubs in the high st are knocking back football colours. I would rather head back into town after the match so that there are more trains to choose from.

I'll be going on the train but anytime from 11.30 onwards should be tim free. Assume the pleasure of a visit to Ayr could be compromised (pubs showing the match). I usually pop into the 19th Hole (one of the pubs nearer the ground). but that's not a child friendly hostelry if you're taking the young one, Alex?

I was going to get the return out of Ayr (time for a pint after the game) but may now just get the earlier train from Newton.

Shorty-free this weekend he's gang awa on a short holiday...... but my brother Greg is much more difficult to supervise!

I usually pop into the 19th Hole (one of the pubs nearer the ground). but that's not a child friendly hostelry if you're taking the young one, Alex?

Are you sure it's the 19th hole? According to google that's a posh golf bar in the wrong direction. More likely choices nearer the ground; Ship, Black Bull, Bowling club, and Wallace bar near the other station (Newton on Ayr).

Are you sure it's the 19th hole? According to google that's a posh golf bar in the wrong direction. More likely choices nearer the ground; Ship, Black Bull, Bowling club, and Wallace bar near the other station (Newton on Ayr).

It might be just called the "19th" and is as posh as Munns. Next to the Electric Bakery more or less across the road from the Newton Arms in Main St

Not certain on times etc, but pretty sure a few of us are getting the train. A few seasons ago, 1st game of the season, several groups of Jags ended up in a wee pub about 10 mins from the ground and all walked to the ground en masse while singing wur wee hearts oot. Can't mind the name of the pub, but don't think we will be 'bothered' by Celtic fans there.

I remember that day - went to the Horseshoe on a recommendation - what an absolute schecht pub - tried a pint of Guinness but it had a wafer-thin head on it - ended up drinking Bulmers from the bottle for health and safety reasons.

There were a fair number of Jags fans in there that day - mind some were dressed in Hawaiian shirts and the like - think it was a beach-type theme day.

Haven't checked, Steven, but fairly sure trains are every half hour with the ones on the hour not stopping at Newton.

Just checked the trains there. All of the Ayr trains stop at Newton on the way down and the first one after the game is 17:16. As someone has already said, no need to worry about scumbag Celtic fans on the trains, as Ayr and Kilmarnock are on seperate lines.

Just checked the trains there. All of the Ayr trains stop at Newton on the way down

I'm not great with timetables but I was fairly sure only the ones on the half hour stop at Newton & the ones on the hour give it a miss. Not that it's that much bother getting off at Ayr central. Maybe I'm reading the raileasy thingy wrong?