Thistle Tv?

ChiThistle

Not sure if this is being discussed by the OneThistle team, but I'd be interested if Thistle started broadcasting live matches and selling subscriptions like Falkirk and other clubs do. I'd certainly buy a subscription for that if the quality was reasonably good. They could maybe do one game free so fans could see if it was worth it.

Great idea! It was quite evident from the following the Nomads Show got that this approach is a way for the club to explore to get fans into the fold and earn some cash through subscriptions to a service. We need to realise that our support is much wider than immediate Glasgow and that there are many reasons why fans are unable to make it along to Firhill. Some based abroad, some based in highlands/islands, some who are housebound for whatever reason - it all adds up. And if the Nomads run by a few fans were able to connect with so many fans during its time, the club could be able to do so much more and build on the contacts that the Nomads collected...

I'd love this idea if a. I was a Nomad, or b. we didn't need every paying punter through the turnstiles we could get. Not saying it's a bad idea but maybe only available for overseas fans?

That's the idea. Both Falkirk and Raith run similar services; Falkirk's is only available outside the UK, and I'm not sure about Raith's but I imagine it would be the same. The Nomads Show at its peak would attract 40+ people, and that was just to watch a guy on the phone to someone at the game. If there were different payment options for single games and multiple games it would attract nomads, fans out of the country temporarily and fans of other clubs.

I'd also like some form of commentary if it was done, but I'd be happy just for video if that's not possible. Then again, it wouldn't be available to me as I'm in England. This commentary could then also be used in the highlights.

I'd love this idea if a. I was a Nomad, or b. we didn't need every paying punter through the turnstiles we could get. Not saying it's a bad idea but maybe only available for overseas fans?

What twinny said.

For commentary, I bet any uni students studying broadcasting would be interested in doing it to bulk up their CVs. That's just a guess - almost every school over here has some kind of broadcasting course of study, but I don't know how it is in Scotland.

I would think there would have to be some way to manage access to the video so that a PTFC fan in, say, Aberdeen, could subscribe but not someone in, I dunno, East Kilbride or something. I think you'd just have to register your home address. The concern, of course, would be that if someone wasn't going to be home to watch the game, they could just give a mate their login credentials. But then again, that's no different from a season ticket holder giving away their ticket to a match they can't attend.

I would certainly be interested in this. I would add that for us in the antipodes, there would probably need to be the option of watching a bit later, since live games usually take place when we are sleeping off the excess of Saturday night!

I’m very interested in such a scheme and I’d be willing to commit the price of an adult season ticket.

Falkirk’s Premium Yearly package is 119 quid, and I presume Thistle would struggle to get something similar off the ground unless they had solid commitment from fans.

I plan on getting in touch with “The Nomads” to see what can be arranged with gathering expressions of interest. Please PM me if you are interested and I’ll try to co-ordinate a list.

Shuggie – check your PMs.

Cheers.

Rob.

I would certainly be interested in this. I would add that for us in the antipodes, there would probably need to be the option of watching a bit later, since live games usually take place when we are sleeping off the excess of Saturday night!

Take your point. It was hard enough staying awake at Firhill during the County match never mind rising from drink induced slumber on a Sunday morning.to watch that dross.

What twinny said. For commentary, I bet any uni students studying broadcasting would be interested in doing it to bulk up their CVs. That's just a guess....but I don't know how it is in Scotland.....

So that's why US television is infamous for being such crap! :shok: If the club (or anyone else for that matter) wants to hire broadcasting students, that's fine, but working for nothing for a commercial organisation is illegal under the minimum wage legislation. There are plenty of freelance broadcasters out there in need of work.

So that's why US television is infamous for being such crap! :shok: If the club (or anyone else for that matter) wants to hire broadcasting students, that's fine, but working for nothing for a commercial organisation is illegal under the minimum wage legislation. There are plenty of freelance broadcasters out there in need of work.

Do you mean that it's now illegal for somebody to volunteer to work for a commercial organization for the experience?

Yeah, I was talking about student volunteers or unpaid student interns. I find it hard to believe that could be illegal. In the US, practically every school that has a broadcasting program has its own student-run TV and radio stations that also turn a tiny profit by selling local advertising. Instead of getting paid, students get real on-camera experience that helps prepare them for professional jobs after they graduate. Based on length of study, you could bring in new broadcasting students every 1-3 years, I would imagine. There's no reason to hire a freelance broadcaster to start out. Maybe down the road, but for now I just want the live video stream.

Just not true I'm afraid. How many people volunteer for the club on a weekly basis? Campbell Hughes never took a penny for commentating for PTTV.