If (When?) Paton Goes....

Jaggernaut

Continuing the theme:

I notice in today's ET that Paton will miss the final home game through suspension. That means that he might have played his last game at Firhill as a Thistle player. The article suggests that he might stay on for next season.

1) Should we keep him?

2) Would he be missed?

My answers would be:

1) Yes

2) Only a bit.

1) I don't know and to be honest I don't really care anymore. He didn't sign a two year deal last summer because he wanted to be motivated this year. Fair enough. I don't want the Club to be in a position where he's waiting for other offers before he gives us one. If he isn't going to sign then lets move on.

2) No

2. Natural captain when played in the middle of the park, might help when (if) Cairney goes

Sorry, but that's total nonsense. I think Jackie has finally realised that Paton is totally wasted in midfield. I presume the only thing you're basing the "natural captain" assertion on is his tenacity which isn't limited only to when he plays in midfield.

He is alright but easily replaceable, decent at full back (but I'd rather a far more attacking option) but I don't think he is much good in midfield, I mean all he really does is tidy up, like a Roswon-lite. It's always good to have someone who tries and fair play to him for that but he'd be no big loss.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

We have Sinclair and Lindsay for left back, Boyle wouldn't be required.

Paton isn't the answer for our midfield, and is a dead average right back who has stagnated beyond belief. Would be happy to see him go.

Boyle wouldnt be such a bad addition, think about it, he played left centre back in a back three and he was quick and could put in a tackle, frees up Sinky to do his stuff while having a bit of cover there for left wing back as well as Lindsay

He played left wing back didn't he? Sinclair is much better at beating a man and getting to the by line, but needs to work on his crossing. Boyle was more of a full back who could get forward and chip in with goals, but he isn't a winger.