Guarantees, Sky & The "new" Team From Govan - A Cynic's View

CCjag

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have posted this on the other thread as well

If we believe what is written in the Record today (facts are this rag has been spectacularly wrong in all its exclusives in this saga) its a done deal and if thats the case I am finished forever with Partick Thistle and Scottish football. I cant believe that my club can back this but Mr Beatties comments over the last few days makes it clear he and the club are happy to run with this . Its the end for Scottish football. Throw the diddy teams a few scraps , get the cheating, bigotted, debt free, tax doging scum back, into the SPHell in the quickest time possible. If this is true Scottish football has died today and a 100 year bond (from my grandad to my sons) with my family and Partick Thistle is broken forever. Thanks Mr Beattie.....One Thistle, dont make me laugh!!!

http://www.dailyreco...86908-23899716/

Edited by Lindau

They will make this happen unless financial pressure and a shitload of bad publicity is brought to bear on them to change course. There's no point in appealing to them about sporting integrity or tradition or how many generations of our families have followed Thistle because THEY JUST DON'T CARE. Lip service is paid to it in public statements, but it's not even a factor in how these guys think. Like the article in the ET said from the first line, "Money talks."

You want business people running football, this is the price you pay. They don't care.

The fans matter in one way and one way only - will they or will they not swallow it and keep turning up? Their bet is that we will precisely because we've cared so much for so long and it's a hard habit to break. (To be fair, I think the odds are massively in their favour on that one, but it would be nice to be surprised.) Did Beattie even pause to think he had to consult the fans before opening his mouth to be a cheerleader for these ideas? No, because he's betting we'll fold like we've always folded before.

So when the huffing and puffing's done, I'd be really interested to hear how people are planning to channel this anger into some muscle. Send Beattie an email...PLINK - it's deleted and forgotten. Fans at other clubs have shown they can do it. Motherwell are so scared to jump either way they were delighted to pass the buck to their supporters. Dundee Utd were almost certainly only persuaded to take the leap because their fans left them in no doubt how serious this was and stiffened their resolve.

And at Firhill...? The whole messy divide between who runs the club, who owns the club (they're not the same) and who really cares about the soul of the club (again not the same) leaves us where exactly? Have the fans here even got the clout to get a public meeting to express their views to the shadowy board we now have? I seriously doubt it. And until they are confronted face to face with the true strength of feeling that exists, they're home free on this one. Other factors might scupper the scheme - God knows what other crimes have still to emerge from Ibrox - but the one thing that won't get in the way is the sporting integrity of the custodians of PTFC.

So who's got the plan?

There are a few issues here. One is the desperate need for league reconstruction. The other is what needs to happen when a team applies for membership to the SFL.

They a not and should not be linked.

Rangers are not being punished, they are in the process of liquidation and will not play football again. The question is what happens to the replacement team. The rules are clear, apply to join the 3rd division. Despite what tripe we get from the mms about them being a special case, they are not. In fact the replacement team from Govan do not have the criteria to join the SFL at all. So if they are to be admitted at all, the SFL are already bending their own rules.

All clubs should use this mess to push for reconstruction of the leagues. These discussions should take place over the next year as it cannot be sorted over 6 or 7 weeks. The start of the following season should see changes to the structure.

Finally the position of Thistle. David Beattie's statement in the ET may have been portrayed more pro new team than it actually was. If you read the twitter feed of Chris Jack last night, it is clear what his position is on this, which may explain the spin. Having said that, I think the feelings of the Thistle fans on various social media is quite clear. Regardless of the bribe being offered, sport without rules applicable to all parties is simply corrupt.

So Thistle board, do what is right. Simply apply the rules. Football without fans is nothing, we have few enough as it is, we cannot afford to lose a few hundred more.

IMO we just have to keep putting pressure on them via email, phone calls, letters , whatever can be done to make sure they are aware of how every fan in Scotland feels about this. If it looks like we arent being listened to then its a case of not going back which for most of us will be a very difficult thing to do.

TBH all this may become purely academic if the SFA tribunal acts as it should and suspends them from the game for at least a year, and from speaking to a few ex-Rangers fans I think thats the option that gives them the time to sort out their clubs issues plus allows the SFA and SPL/SFL time to sort out a proper league reconstruction if that is what they really want to do and prove that all this "talking" is not just a panic plan to help Zombie Rangers survive.

All this pandering over a vile and bigotted club from those in charge of our game just shows the lack of morals and financial corruption that is blighting not just Scottish football but the game worldwide. Money talks and to **** with what fans want to happen is pretty much the mantra.

DU is right, we could do with a plan. If the stories about SFL talks ahead of any 4 July SPL vote are true, something needs to happen soon.

What about as many Jags fans as possible staging a demo outside Firhill one day this week, protesting for league reconstruction and against newco admission? Get some journos from ET, The Glaswegian, DR along ? Simple stuffings send out some powerful messages before any SFL Chairman get further drawn into this mess by the lure of filthy lucre...

Jings have you not realised by now the Record / ET etc have got their own agenda here? Never ceases to amaze me how people will believe anything just because 'it's in The Record'.

For goodness sake read what I posted about the rag getting every exclusive in this sorry saga completely wrong, instead of picking bits of it out. We are commenting on the possibility of it happening and the very fact that our chairman has been quoted as being in full agreement with NEWCO entering the 2nd league in Scotland!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2163489/Fans-fight-SFA-warned-expect-small-clubs-bow-down.html

Raith Chairman speaking total sense. Cmon Beattie just say the same thing and all is well once again.

The glasgow papers defo have an agenda to get Zombie Rangers as high up as possible but we all need to keep the pressure on the people in charge of our game to make sure this *******isation of the league structure doesnt happen.

Ive mailed the club, SFA and SFL with my thoughts. Simply put , vote yes to Rangers and Thistle lose out on ST money and Centenary Fund cash , vote no and im there ASAP to renew my season ticket. One simple "NO" comment from Dundee United and their season ticket sales went through the roof. Not saying ours will do the same but they will get mine and many others who have been holding off for whatever reasons.

Edited by Junior

Anyone who's wavering should read the following. It's long, but bear with it because it's excellent. Written by a St Johnstone fan from an SPL perspective, but still applicable to us should the club have the opportunity to vote on allowing Newco in Division One/SPL2:

Confessions of a lapsed St Johnstone fanzine editor

It’s a long time since this website has been updated with anything even vaguely resembling regularity. Once upon a time, BH was not only a printed fanzine, but also a busy web community of Saints news, views and rubbish Dundee jokes. My main excuse for letting all this slip is that I’m a lazy bugger at heart, but there’s also the marginally more acceptable reason that I now have to spend most of my time in London. While I still spend frankly stupid amounts of time and money travelling to watch my boyhood heroes, I’m no longer an ever-present, and feel my ability to publish fair comment on the latest right-back or new pie range has long since diminished.

Incredibly, though, blueheaven.org.uk still pulls in a daily slew of hits from all over the world. Admittedly, many of them appear to be from people looking for recipes for Scottish ‘Biscuits’ (hello biscuit fans, if you’re reading this!). But a fair whack of them are also St Johnstone supporters. People still use this site to get in touch and ask me how they can get hold of old fanzine issues, or when there will be a new one, or even whether I can spare some time to give a fans’ view to the media.

So, in my own odd way, I feel an annoying sense of residual duty to use this site to express some sort of view on the crisis that is currently ripping through Scottish football. Which means me crawling out of retirement for one last rant.

On 4th July, our club will be asked to vote on whether or not a cheap, hurriedly constructed version of Rangers will be allowed to play in next season’s SPL. It could be the SPL’s very own Independence Day, or it could be the day that sees thousands of fans up and down the country turning their backs on clubs they have supported for their entire lives.

In the BH fanzine days, Rangers (or The Forces of Darkness as we always knew them) were essentially treated as the comedy bad guys. And I suppose that now, with their fiendish EBT scheme, TFOD have indeed turned out to be Scottish football’s equivalent of Dick Dastardly in Wacky Races; always stopping mid-race to place increasingly elaborate obstacles in their competitors’ way, too stupid and greedy to realise that if they only kept going they’d be miles ahead anyway.

And now that it’s blown up in their faces, after years of boasting about being too good for Scotland and threatening to pack up their belongings and head elsewhere, Rangers need a favour. The mighty Rangers, with their world record stash of domestic trophies, wondrous marble staircase and noble history of religious intolerance, need a favour from us, the shit on their shoes.

But there’s just one problem. Because they’re not even Rangers, are they? Rangers – the real Rangers that is, with their cheeky, lovable fanbase – lie dying in the gutter. And, while a succession of predictably dodgy characters squabble over the scraps, a New Rangers has appeared like a phoenix from the flames. Or, at least, a phoenix from some shit. A stinking phoenix from a pile of corrupt, festering shit.

Yet this new club (catchily titled Sevco 5088 – it’ll look great on the Union Jack flags), that has never as much as kicked a football, supposedly has the SPL running scared. We can’t upset Sevco! Anything but that! After all, without the pulling power of Sevco, the league will degenerate into something akin to Irish-League-meets-swingball, with no TV deal, no Sevco fans to swell our stands and piss in our shop doorways, and none of that juicy European glory we’ve all grown so accustomed to dining out on as Scottish football fans. The end of the world is officially nigh.

Unfortunately, the pro-Sevco argument falls apart on two fronts: 1. It’s bollocks (if Scottish First Division clubs can survive without the Old Firm or a TV deal, then why can’t the larger clubs of the SPL?); 2. Even if it weren’t bollocks, it’s not the point. It’s not about money. It’s not about product. It’s not about standard of football. It’s not even about Rangers (because, let us never forget, they’re not Rangers). It’s about sporting integrity, and it’s about supporters up and down the land saying enough is enough.

From a purely personal point of view, if I was at all bothered about watching the world’s greatest footballers playing sexy football inside a packed stadium and in front of a huge TV audience, I would not be a St Johnstone supporter. I, like many others, support Saints because they are my local club, representing my home town. From an early age, I was hooked on the sights, sounds and smells of following that club. My most enduring memories of watching Saints stretch from buying blue popcorn and Dotty bars as a kid in the Ormond Stand, to losing the league in the last minute of the season at Hamilton and being hammered 4-0 by Stenhousemuir. Very few of my St Johnstone memories involve any sort of glory, and those that do stand out only because they are so rare. Yet, like the rest of us, I’ve carried on going back, and at increasingly hard-to-justify levels of expense at that.

To paraphrase one of the contributors to the We Are Perth forum, what it boils down to is this: I’d rather watch St Johnstone playing amateur Sunday league football on the North Inch, than pay to see them willingly participate in a fixed, corrupt Premier League. Because that is exactly what the SPL will become if it allows a brand new football club to leapfrog the lower divisions and start out in the top flight, based purely on the strength of an application form.

Is this really how the SPL wants football to work now? Should we ditch the concept of promotion and relegation completely, and just open up every place in the league to the highest bidder? Why even bother playing football at all? Why not just turn the whole league into one big, obscene auction?

If that is what the SPL wants, then I’m afraid it’s probably time for me – as a fan of football, not of business – to bow out. And if it’s something St Johnstone are prepared to vote in favour of, then like many other fans I’ll be forced to re-assess whether or not I really want to support them. That’s something I never thought I’d say. But, while I’ll always be a Saints fan at heart, I’ll view my commitment to supporting the club in a very different way if the club votes ‘yes’.

If I could make one plea to Steve Brown and the rest of the St Johnstone board, it would be this: please don’t turn your backs on the club’s ethics. Those same ethics prompted Geoff Brown to speak out against Livingston and Gretna, and they’re as valid now as they were then. Don’t give in to bullying, or greed, or corporate threats. Don’t give up on being a football club. Don’t give up on being St Johnstone. No surrender.

In the real grown up world the facts would suggest Rangers are struggling to play at all next season. Alas this harsh truth doesn't go down well with comics like The Record / Evening Times and their 'readership' of the illiterate OF hordes. So they resort to 'exclusives' and out of context quotes. Nobody at PTFC should be feeding these trolls.