Clive Tilsley

ayrshire jag

GSTQ is their national anthem though, and ours too. Until fairly recently it was used for Scotland games. The country we live in is the UK, you do not have to pass any border officials when you move between the home nations, and the country has one national anthem. The use of Flower of Scotland as a national anthem is purely unofficial.

I do not know the lyrics to GSTQ and never plan to, but I'll respect those that treat it as their national anthem when it is played (actually that's not true, I jokingly boo along when friends of mine sing it while playing the drinking game).

It's not though. It's the national anthem of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. England's use of it for major events is arrogance, a misplaced belief that they are representing the whole of the British Isles. I'm not sure what Northern Ireland's excuse is but I'm sure it's something bigoted and I'm equally sure that the Republicans cringe when they hear it played.

At the Commonwealth games England play Land of Hope and Glory. Why cant they use that instead?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not though. It's the national anthem of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. England's use of it for major events is arrogance, a misplaced belief that they are representing the whole of the British Isles. I'm not sure what Northern Ireland's excuse is but I'm sure it's something bigoted and I'm equally sure that the Republicans cringe when they hear it played.

At the Commonwealth games England play Land of Hope and Glory. Why cant they use that instead?

It isn't down to any misplaced belief. It IS their national anthem, as they are British. Many English people would rather use Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. If you don't recognise the monarchy, and don't believe in God, then I really don't understand your problem with English people singing to God asking him(/it) to save the(ir) Queen.

It isn't down to any misplaced belief. It IS their national anthem, as they are British. Many English people would rather use Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. If you don't recognise the monarchy, and don't believe in God, then I really don't understand your problem with English people singing to God asking him(/it) to save the(ir) Queen.

And according to my passport (although I dont care for it much), so am I. I certainly don't want the England team to represent me at the World Cup.

They are not representing Britain, they are representing England and should use an appropriate anthem.

I think if they wanted to sing it they should have asked all the other bits of GB very nicely, in that Maggie Thatcher tone with head tilted to one side, if we minded very much! Of course the answer is YES - its not the English anthem and just because you seem to think England = Great Britain, doesn't make it right.

I also think Howard Webb is an excellent referee and should definately get the Final!

ITV's World Cup presentation has been a shambles.

Adrian Chiles is the biggest "winker" on British television. He has been terrible on any show he has presented, especially his cringeworth non-performances on Match of The Day. Matt Smith has nothing interesting to say. They make me yearn for the return of Steve Rider and Jim Rosenthal.

Several of the foreign pundits mumble inanely (e.g. Vieira) or struggle with English (e.g. Davids). We should be thankful that Robbie Earle was forced out by the ticket scandal. Even Andy Townsend has been off-form.

The commentary is just as bad. Jim Beglin is even worse than he was when he "played" for Liverpool and makes Mark Lawrenson appear articulate.

They'll be poaching the hapless Chris Kamara and moronic Dean Windass Sky Sports News next! :thumbdown:

Exactly. And what's more, the great majority of Scots at the time(1746) were also very happy that their rebel countrymen had been 'crushed', none moreso than the inhabitants of our own fair city! There were more Scots fighting on the government side than for the Jacobites. It was after all a civil war not an England v Scotland confrontation.

Really? Whose history have you been reading then? :thinking: I'll sell you a copy of the Warren Commission Report. Lots of people believed that at the time.

And according to my passport (although I dont care for it much), so am I. I certainly don't want the England team to represent me at the World Cup.

They are not representing Britain, they are representing England and should use an appropriate anthem.

England is usually identified with Britain by most folk overseas. I'll quite happily leave them to their notions and argue for an improvement on that piece of sh*t that's played on Scotland's behalf before football matches.

By the way, watch out for how many times the phrase 'you have to say' is used by British TV commentators and pundits when discussing Germany's win over Argentina. :lol:

Interesting comparison! I dont think anyone has had to listen to someone talking about imaginary numbers over the tannoy of a football ground immediately before an international match.

Why would any decent minded person respect a song about a deity defending a self appointed head of state / religion

Maybe you - being a decent minded person - should write them a new one that sets them straight. I know that I believe every word of any song or national anthem I hear and need your (non-divine obviously) guidance. A good song about retaking the Falklands maybe?

Maybe you - being a decent minded person - should write them a new one that sets them straight. I know that I believe every word of any song or national anthem I hear and need your (non-divine obviously) guidance. A good song about retaking the Falklands maybe?

Didn't the Sex Pistols do them a perfectly acceptable modern version a few years back?

This :thumbsup2:

An English guy on tv last night was so happy about H Webb's refereeing skills that he feels "england will be at the world cup final now" ! It beggars belief :blush:

:blink: Howard Webb named as the world cup final referee and the sky sports new anchorman is almost comin in his pants ! FFS :angry:

If Howard Webb gets the final we should all just forget about the game and let him lift the World Cup. The way Tyldesley was eulogising him I think he expects this to happen. Let's give Webb the Golden Boot and Player of the Tournament while we're at it.

:D :D :D

The squillions of pounds spent by the FA to lure Fab Cap and his eminent backroom team to Ingurlund, in order to get them to the finals and onto immortal glory was all a very cunning plan to bring about their cleverly concealed key object: ie to get their top whistler to handle the final.

Not many of us saw that coming; stupid us bought into the now derelict idea that it was the team who were supposed to get to the final. It's as clear as day now when I think of it.

Christ, a feel such a gullible fool. :blush:

It's a British broadcaster. The ref and linesman are British and are the ones that we see in British football regularly. Obviously they're going to have more to say about them than some other country's refs/players.

If Scottish people think English commentators are bad for 'going on', have a look down this messageboard. One thing more tedious than being Scottish during an English world cup campaign is supporting England at the world cup, whilst living in Scotland, and having to put up with the pathetic wee team, chip-on-the-shoulder perspectives of 9 in 10 people here. If you don't want a British perspective on commentary when you're watching Brazil-Chile, move to Rio or Santiago.

It wasn't British perspective. It was English. On British telly.