Meting For The Fans?

Fistle1876

MEETING CALLED

Wednesday 4th July 2012

A meeting has been arranged for shareholders, season ticket holders and Sonstrust members at Dumbarton Football Stadium on Saturday 7th July 2012.

The purpose of the gathering will be to inform those present of the up-to-date position relating to possibility of the Newco Rangers being admitted into the Scottish Football League.

To gain admission, please bring along either your season ticket (12/13), shareholding certificate or your valid (11/12) Sonstrust membership card.

Time for start of the meeting will be 11am.

Alan Findlay

Will thistle be holding a meeting?

There's a gathering at the Rec next week, 7.45pm. Hammer out an agenda and get the fans who attend the friendly with Alloa to discuss it. We'll almost certainly be talking about it anyway.

One for One Thistle to co-ordinate perhaps? Starting with a friendly approach to the hosts?

Dumbarton have not made a statement on there position ,PTFC have said no (albiet not in a format everyone agrees with) as we have said no Im not sure as to what purpose a meeting is to have.

Dont forget the Club are under no illusions as to the fact majority of fans are looking for a No vote.

Mck - genuine question ,not being obstructive but before I can ask for a meeting need to know what it is for - we have already said we will vote no

Fair point, Jim. Perhaps if fans want to talk at the Alloa game, this forum is the place where an agenda can be set.

It does strike me that while the suits have gathered to decide upon the future of our game, the fans have not had this opportunity. There is a place, there is a time, there is an occasion.

Besides, what do you think we'll be talking about that night before kick-off?

Dumbarton have not made a statement on there position ,PTFC have said no (albiet not in a format everyone agrees with) as we have said no Im not sure as to what purpose a meeting is to have.

Dont forget the Club are under no illusions as to the fact majority of fans are looking for a No vote.

Mck - genuine question ,not being obstructive but before I can ask for a meeting need to know what it is for - we have already said we will vote no

JJ, as you rightly point out, the club have said 'no' and they understand that the majority of fans are looking for a no vote (although we can only assume that in the absence of any official forum) but you also elude to the fact that the club statement left room for doubt about when a 'yes' vote may become appropriate in the directors opinion.

Perhaps it would be in the directors interest to call a meeting, if the fans view is clear, then it would give the directors an opportunity to explain the exact circumstances that would need to be in place to elicit a 'yes'.

I think it is now incumbent on the board to explain their position and they should be the party to call the meeting - it would clearly be in their interest and would remove any suggestion of arrogance on their part any suggestion that they already know the average fan's opinion.

Consider the fact that many clubs (inc PTFC) had already publicly expressed their position regarding any suggestion that Newco might find a way into SFL1. The League management committee might have decided not to waste their time presenting the proposal or having a meeting to discuss the issue and canvas opinion as they already knew what everyone thought but this would not have given the SFL to proffer their view o what such a deal might look like and allow proper debate and consideration.

In a nut shell I don't think the fans should be calling for a meeting but I do think the board should seriously consider it when there is so much at stake for PTFC and Scottish football as a whole.

Mck

Interesting to note the actual wording from stated " solid No" Clubs

Falkirk FC "we cannot therefore support current proposal put forward by SFL"

Hamilton Accies - no mention of a no or how they would vote in there statement.

Morton - I personally see no reason ( Mr Rae) - still door left open for the rest of the BOD though.

Our statement is not to everyones liking BUT its better than other Clubs who have been credited with an outright No .

This has a bit to go yet IMO ,I would hold fire on any meeting until we have something solid to discuss.

JJ, as you rightly point out, the club have said 'no' and they understand that the majority of fans are looking for a no vote (although we can only assume that in the absence of any official forum) but you also elude to the fact that the club statement left room for doubt about when a 'yes' vote may become appropriate in the directors opinion.

Perhaps it would be in the directors interest to call a meeting, if the fans view is clear, then it would give the directors an opportunity to explain the exact circumstances that would need to be in place to elicit a 'yes'.

I think it is now incumbent on the board to explain their position and they should be the party to call the meeting - it would clearly be in their interest and would remove any suggestion of arrogance on their part any suggestion that they already know the average fan's opinion.

Consider the fact that many clubs (inc PTFC) had already publicly expressed their position regarding any suggestion that Newco might find a way into SFL1. The League management committee might have decided not to waste their time presenting the proposal or having a meeting to discuss the issue and canvas opinion as they already knew what everyone thought but this would not have given the SFL to proffer their view o what such a deal might look like and allow proper debate and consideration.

In a nut shell I don't think the fans should be calling for a meeting but I do think the board should seriously consider it when there is so much at stake for PTFC and Scottish football as a whole.

No I

I said not in a format everyone agrees - I havent alluded to a yes vote ,my view is this has a bit to go - lets wait until we have something to discuss ,all a meeting will do is the Directors repeat there current position.

I don't understand their current position though.

From your reply to Mck you quite rightly point out that our board is in the same boat as many others that have left a huge barn door open suggesting that there may be circumstances in which the wouldn't vote 'no' and surely they would welcome an opportunity to explain the vision that they have of a future where such a decision would not result in moral compromise?

Perhaps the Board/ David Beattie should be reminded that there is a fans meeting called for next week. They called it by arranging a friendly at Recreation Pk. A football match, the pub before and after plus the supporters buses were the traditional venues for gauging and arranging fans action/re-action prior to internet forums etc.

True a friendly against Alloa in July wiill hardly reach a quorum but, if I can be excused the better fan than you stuff for a moment, the average Jag in attendance is likely to be a hardened supporter and certainly representative of the rank and file fan. I'd imagine this forum and other Jags online outlets will be interesting and illuminating next Wednesday morning.

Btw given my geography I hope to be in touch with folk close to Alloa FC to find out their main man Mulraney's intentions re sevco..

Yet to see a statement, but apparently Donald Findlay took questions at a MEETING with Cowdenbeath fans tonight before confirming that the club will vote no to Newco in Div One.

Good news! Let's hope that the statement also rules out a sale of the club to Newco.

The threats from Regan in that Scotsman interview indicate that there is actually a serious need for a meeting of Jags fans. All SFL clubs need to stick together and shoot this nonsense down. A unified statement indicating refusal to engage with SPL2 is required. I think the Club need to see that we will support them in pursuing that and joining with fellow SFL member clubs in taking Regan on.

The SFL clubs must comprise a very significant portion of the membership of the SFA. Regan is a functionary and a piss-poor one at that. Time to yank his chain.

Mck

Interesting to note the actual wording from stated " solid No" Clubs

Falkirk FC "we cannot therefore support current proposal put forward by SFL"

Hamilton Accies - no mention of a no or how they would vote in there statement.

Morton - I personally see no reason ( Mr Rae) - still door left open for the rest of the BOD though.

Our statement is not to everyones liking BUT its better than other Clubs who have been credited with an outright No .

This has a bit to go yet IMO ,I would hold fire on any meeting until we have something solid to discuss.

Conveniently leaving out the actual Solid No Clubs, from your list there. Nice work Jim.

Infact, i don't think Hamilton have been "credited" with a solid no, as there fans on other forums are up in arms at their fence sitting.

Sorry, JJ, but there is still a real need for a meeting with the Board.

Yes, they have said that the present proposal is unacceptable and would not vote in favour. Fine as far as it goes, but only as far as it goes.

What happens if what is on offer changes between now and the meeting. I think we need to know in more details the basis that the club find the current offer unacceptable, and what their view might be of what else would be needed to make it acceptable.

And I don't think you need to be too cynical to read the statement as implying that we want the SFA to come in and instruct the SFL to take Newco into SFL1. From my perspective, that's just another example of passing the buck.

Also, if the vote turns out to be No what is the club's attitude to any attempt to form an SPL2. That should be rejected as well, and I'd like to see some attempt to get a collective statement from the SFL clubs that would not accept any such offer in the aftermath of this.

All in all, it's hard to escape the conclusion that the Thistle board (having, via Beattie, created a shitstorm in the first place) trying to duck for cover so there's someone else to point the finger of blame at if and when Rangers are parachuted into SFL1.

I'd like Beattie et al to see the whites of my eyes when I tell them the consequences of selling the club (and us) down the river. And I'd like to see the white of his eyes when he's telling us his side of things.

Or are leaps of faith one sided affairs? History would suggest they are.