Proposed New Tv Deal

The Sun are running a story today about the proposed new TV deal for the SPL, but there are still not full details being released.

Essentially it seems to be the same deal that the SPL had for the season just played, albeit slightly down on the deal that they had previously agreed for the next 5 seasons.

Within the deal there is the £1m payment to the SFL for the rights to show Rangers away games. There was no information as to whether this will mean that the SPL will continue to pay their fee to the SFL on top of this £1m payment.

If it does still include this, legally i'm not sure how the SPL can get away with not paying it, then it could be a nice wee boost for Thistle coming into the new season as we'll be getting an additional £33,000 on top of what we normally receive from the SPL (Assuming it's split evenly)

Surely Rangers matches are worth more than £1 million? The SFL would be missing a trick here if they accept that IMO. Even if they are in div3, the armchair fans will carry on watching.

I think the SFL should seek a three-year, three-division deal. SFL highlights programme like the Football League show in England, with live matches as and when (probably mostly Rangers, but also some title run in matches in div1 and div2 or Fife derbies), with money for live games going primarily to the clubs involved in the fixture and perhaps the rest of their division.

I'm only for the SFL TV deal in one way, in that it is going to show up the bigots attached to them in a big way as it did last Sunday. There's no doubt that with play-offs available they are very likely to climb through the divisions but I don't believe they will find it a walkover and if it isn't the nasty element could get nastier.

I'm happy for lower division clubs to get a bit extra cash when they play Zombie FC but just hope some club that does well against them doesn't get a backlash ... there's less protection down there than with the bigger clubs.

Don't forget what this TV deal does ... it allows the Zombies to get extra sponsorship when they play at Ibrokes and feeds their arrogance that everyone else needs them. I'd much rather there was no TV deal at all really - think the value is not worth what we have to put up with.

I won't be watching any of their games - no change there, never did - and I suggest nobody else should.

I should add everything anyone says on this topic is predicated on the assumption they have the finance to last the season.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Has the annual payment the SPL is due the SFL been paid, held back or just reneged?

Seems to me if the SPL cannot or will not forward that money the SFL should be taking the matter further. I still sadly believe that there's no desire from Longmuir and the lower division clubss to push for larger leagues. Never been a better time as well.

Don't forget what this TV deal does ... it allows the Zombies to get extra sponsorship when they play at Ibrokes and feeds their arrogance that everyone else needs them. I'd much rather there was no TV deal at all really - think the value is not worth what we have to put up with.

I agree. They should just be told "You've had 140 years to sort yourselves out and you didn't. So just feck off".

Surely Rangers matches are worth more than £1 million? The SFL would be missing a trick here if they accept that IMO. Even if they are in div3, the armchair fans will carry on watching.

As far as I am aware it has already been accepted. I think it was after a further bout of scaremongering by Doomcaster, where he said Sky would only deal with the SPL and they needed to rights from the SPL or they would get nothing.

Has the annual payment the SPL is due the SFL been paid, held back or just reneged?

Seems to me if the SPL cannot or will not forward that money the SFL should be taking the matter further. I still sadly believe that there's no desire from Longmuir and the lower division clubss to push for larger leagues. Never been a better time as well.

They talked about not "being able" to pay it with no TV deal. I can only assume that now a deal is in place that the payment will be made as normal.

I don't think they could have gotten away with not paying it regardless.

Doncaster and Regan have talked down the scottish game with consistent negativeness, is it really any surprise to anyone that

1. they would agree to a equally shit and undervalued deal

2. the sfl clubs would get rogered even more

3. deadco will get the lions share of sfl games and cash

scottish football bosses ..... corrupt to the core

Saw Reagan on the BBC website, as usual mouthing platitudes and incredibly still equates the health of Scottish football with the interests of Rangers. It is fairly obvious from this performancethat we can expect a league reconstruction proposal which will have Rangers in the top tier regardless. Methinks that bearing in mind the vast majority of the threats he has received would no doubt have emanated from the hordes of Morder he would at least be a tad circumspect about welcoming with open arms.

This is a disaster for the likes of us, Falkirk and Accies. I was looking forward to a significantly reduced TV deal seeing the likes of serial cheats Motherwell, overspenders Killie and Dundee Utd and so on very quickly ending up in the "Slaters, Cut your Cloth, Scottish Professional Championship" where they actually belong.

This is a disaster for the likes of us, Falkirk and Accies. I was looking forward to a significantly reduced TV deal seeing the likes of serial cheats Motherwell, overspenders Killie and Dundee Utd and so on very quickly ending up in the "Slaters, Cut your Cloth, Scottish Professional Championship" where they actually belong.

Not so sure. By my reading of it we'll be a bit better off with the Sevco TV rights being sold by the SFL and then redistributed amongst all member clubs. Then there's the £2m settlement payment- which despite all the scaremongering would have been due as is a legal agreement as par of the clubs being allowed to form SPL without rules being broken etc. If they hadn't paid that then it would probably have been game over for SPL as it is.

It looks now though that the SPL clubs will be getting less money than they hoped for and budgeted for. Hopefully it will create a more level playing field, the end to cheap imports & Ceptic eventually buggering off and playing in their home LOI & Sevco disappearing off the face of the Earth.

I'll concede that disaster was probably too strong a word but I still maintain it's bad news. We're scrimping and scraping to replace the Warriors income just to tread water in the 1st division. The current SPL clubs will all be in a similar boat to each other and despite cuts, still only have to be better than one crap team to avoid relegation. The gulf in financing is all that's keeping Killie, Motherwell and Utd in the so-called top division.