Now Uruguay Are Gonna Win....

arnus68

Well Done Uruguay.

Exactly.

Let's go wildly (some might say insanely) optimistic and say we need a win at home to Raith on the last day of the season to obtain promotion, David Rowson punches one off the line with Thistle 1-0 up in the 93rd minute.

Raith player blasts the penalty over and we go up. Think we'd be on here complaining?

Suarez was punished in accordance with the laws of the game, not really comparable to a Maradona or a Henry (or even a Casalinovo).

I hate Uruguay after what they did in '86. C'mon the Dutch

I thought it was Scotland's lack of imagination and football nous that lost us that game - they were 10 men to our 11 for most of the game after all. Typical Scottish performance.

Do you know that if you look up all the records of the World Cup you've got items like Brazil - most wins; Italy - most draws, and so on. Scotland actually are in there too - most times in the World Cup without getting past the first round.

Exactly.

Let's go wildly (some might say insanely) optimistic and say we need a win at home to Raith on the last day of the season to obtain promotion, David Rowson punches one off the line with Thistle 1-0 up in the 93rd minute.

Raith player blasts the penalty over and we go up. Think we'd be on here complaining?

Suarez was punished in accordance with the laws of the game, not really comparable to a Maradona or a Henry (or even a Casalinovo).

You've kind of lost me here. I just wanted Ghana to win. Because they're an African team and I tend to support the underdogs. Uruguay have won the W.C. twice, albeit a long time ago. S.A. spent at least $5 Billion hosting the W.C. Ghana getting through to the semi-final or better might have gone some way to get some of that back to the people who desperately need it in Africa. Uruguay getting through does no good to anyone, unless one backed them in the bookies or had them in a sweep. Holland will beat them, and then Arg.

Exactly.

No but if Airdrie punched the ball off the line in the last minute of a Scottish cup game and Kenny Watson missed the dying seconds penalty, and Airdrie won the replay, you would be on here complaining, no wait, you wouldn't, coz internet wasn't invented.

You've kind of lost me here. I just wanted Ghana to win. Because they're an African team and I tend to support the underdogs. Uruguay have won the W.C. twice, albeit a long time ago. S.A. spent at least $5 Billion hosting the W.C. Ghana getting through to the semi-final or better might have gone some way to get some of that back to the people who desperately need it in Africa. Uruguay getting through does no good to anyone, unless one backed them in the bookies or had them in a sweep. Holland will beat them, and then Arg.

Understand your point but unfortunately that's football and as a Jags fan we're all more aware of that than most. But that in a way is what makes football such gripping game - it grabs the emotions, and excites us - but it can kick us in the goolies sometimes too. It's not knowing what might happen that makes it great (and makes it not great at all where the outcome is nearly always too obvious).

No but if Airdrie punched the ball off the line in the last minute of a Scottish cup game and Kenny Watson missed the dying seconds penalty, and Airdrie won the replay, you would be on here complaining, no wait, you wouldn't, coz internet wasn't invented.

:lol:

Yes it was !

I thought it was Scotland's lack of imagination and football nous that lost us that game - they were 10 men to our 11 for most of the game after all. Typical Scottish performance.

Do you know that if you look up all the records of the World Cup you've got items like Brazil - most wins; Italy - most draws, and so on. Scotland actually are in there too - most times in the World Cup without getting past the first round.

Well you can go the top of the remedial class. Bravo.

an order

Being strictly correct...the score was 0-0. The chaps hacked, and hence cheated us off the park. No steve nichol...none of that, they were c***s of the highest South American order. I'll never forgive them. Bawbags. I hate the Argies too. And Paraguayans, for varying justifiable reasons. Go on Holland. Failing that...Germany.

Anyone that says "typical Scotland performance" should go and play netball or snap or some other kid-on sport. Other idiots can put us down, not greeting on the sidelines like wee lasses. Scotland will be back and moaners like you can go and join the Liberal Democrats!

and Stevie Nicol's missing an absolute sitter. Possibly one of the worst misses by a Scotland player ever.

Always thought Nicol was useless and this moment confirmed it, this miss is up there with Iwelomus and possibly worse given the circumstances

Well you can go the top of the remedial class. Bravo.

Oh dear ...touchy .. touchy. Never mind the point of the discussion, just come out with some (not very) smart-arse comment.

:lol:

an order

Being strictly correct...the score was 0-0. The chaps hacked, and hence cheated us off the park. No steve nichol...none of that, they were c***s of the highest South American order. I'll never forgive them. Bawbags. I hate the Argies too. And Paraguayans, for varying justifiable reasons. Go on Holland. Failing that...Germany.

:sleep1: :sleep1:

Edited by Mr Bunny

Anyone on here who wouldn't have done the same thing under the circumstances is a liar.

Suarez took one for the team and should rightly be hailed as a hero by his team mates and fellow countrymen.

This is a nation of 3 and a half million people who were basically taking on the whole African contenent of 1.1 billion in their own backyard. If the ref had done his job properly and awarded Uruguay a penalty for Pantsil's challenege in extra time, none of this would have happened.

I hope they go on and win it.

Anyone on here who wouldn't have done the same thing under the circumstances is a liar.

Suarez took one for the team and should rightly be hailed as a hero by his team mates and fellow countrymen.

This is a nation of 3 and a half million people who were basically taking on the whole African contenent of 1.1 billion in their own backyard. If the ref had done his job properly and awarded Uruguay a penalty for Pantsil's challenege in extra time, none of this would have happened.

I hope they go on and win it.

I disagree that he should be hailed a hero, he deliberately cheated. On the plus side he got caught and deservedly punished, the fact that Ghana then missed the resultant penalty has turned this act into a 'good thing' for Uruguay...but Saurez still cheated. It can be dressed up as taking one for the team but cheating is cheating and he stopped a certain goal, terrible.

Now if a Thistle player does the same thing in an important game and the opposing team miss the resultant penalty kick would I be complaining? No chance :innocent:

I disagree that he should be hailed a hero, he deliberately cheated. On the plus side he got caught and deservedly punished, the fact that Ghana then missed the resultant penalty has turned this act into a 'good thing' for Uruguay...but Saurez still cheated. It can be dressed up as taking one for the team but cheating is cheating and he stopped a certain goal, terrible.

Now if a Thistle player does the same thing in an important game and the opposing team miss the resultant penalty kick would I be complaining? No chance :innocent:

At the end of the day, if Suarez didn't do what he did, Uruguay would be out. By his actions, he gave his team a (very slim) chance to stay in the game, a chance that eventually won them the game.

It's that kind of drama that makes football the best sport on the planet. Truly sensational stuff.

I agree, but if Ghana scored that penalty and it meant Uruaguay got knock-out Saurez would be deemed to be a stupid cheat who got what he deserved. That's football tho and its a different type of thing to offside and illegal goals being scored. He got caught and he got punished so no real complaints, but his team were very fortunate that it didn't backfire.

When all is said and done though, Ghanas penalty taking was woeful and that was the biggest factor in them going out.

I agree, but if Ghana scored that penalty and it meant Uruaguay got knock-out Saurez would be deemed to be a stupid cheat who got what he deserved. That's football tho and its a different type of thing to offside and illegal goals being scored. He got caught and he got punished so no real complaints, but his team were very fortunate that it didn't backfire.

When all is said and done though, Ghanas penalty taking was woeful and that was the biggest factor in them going out.

I disagree that he would be labelled a stupid cheat. As I said, I think most people would do the same thing under the circumstances. Having watched all of Uruguay's games, I didn't see much cheating in Suarez's nature before the incident.

Totally agree that it was the mother of all letoffs when Gyan's penalty hit the bar. I think there was only going to be one winner after that. The 2 missed Ghana penaltys were absolutely woeful efforts.

Have to say once again, I LOVE Ghana's away top.