New Packages Launched For The Kids

potty trained

There are much more positive names that could have been used. For us being such a family club "ultras" does not give such a warm family image. It's a cringeworthy name and better thought could have been given.

I think it a good idea don't get me wrong but I am curious where the money to make the t-shirts is coming from? I thought we were skint and had no money and that is why we all had to rush out and buy a season ticket to help Jackie?

Kids go free and the kids clubs are not a lost maker, because you can pass those losses back to the fans with no kids afterall.

But see when April comes and Jackie need money for the squad and we are skint again, don't expect me to be rushing out to buy my season ticket.

How will that letter/email go - Last year you paid £0 to watch football and see this year it's £100. I am sure all those parents who enjoyed years of kids go free will rush out to buy that season ticket for their kid.

Of course nobody on here with kids will disagree - why would they?

I do think it is a good idea. just don't agree with everything for kids being free every time.

Oh I am sorry forgive me I thought this was a forum for people to have opinions on all things Thistle. i did not realise we cannot say anything negative or disagree with anything.

You are not the only person to mention the Ultras name, but what seems to be being ignored is the fact that it was chosen by a group of kids and onethistle just decided to run with it. If we are to create an atmosphere whereby the kids want to go to the games and to belong, them I honestly can't see what is wrong with letting them take the lead. I know from previous posts that you don't have a problem with kids at games per se, so hope you can learn to see the positives that the club could reap from this.

Despite you saying that you think it's a good idea, you are the only person that ive read on here that has said they will not be renewing their season ticket as a consequence. Or is 'not rushing out' deliberatly ambiguous enough to claim it's not what you meant. Does this mean you'll be giving up on Thistle completely? I assume so, since you are kidding yourself if you think that paying at the gate won't be contributing in some way to maintaining the U16 go free schemes?

The kids go free scheme may be a loss leader, but the fact that those kids are often accompanied by paying adults who can sit in a seat that would otherwise have been unoccupied, means that the loss must be minimised over the course of the season.

For the record, I started going with my boy as a pay at the gate customer, moved onto buying a season ticket for us both (I still thought the £30 for a kids season ticket was worth it to get him used to having one) and when it's time to pay full whack for him I will because the club has decent schemes such as the 4-month instalments that make it affordable.

You don't want to sit next to misbehaving children and that is understandable, so I hope you can enjoy the new season in the North Stand.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having looked at Stenny's website I think it is fairly clear the scheme is aimed at home fans. Could an under 16 supporter of another club in that division apply for a season ticket and get in for free - yes. Is that likely or how Stenny market it - no.

If our website said that we are the only club who allow under 16s of both sets of fans free entry with or without a season ticket that would be clearer.

i just read a tweet between @jagscast and someone who works at stennie called @pdw_13. he says any under 16 gets in for free, home or away fan.

Having looked at Stenny's website I think it is fairly clear the scheme is aimed at home fans. Could an under 16 supporter of another club in that division apply for a season ticket and get in for free - yes. Is that likely or how Stenny market it - no.

If our website said that we are the only club who allow under 16s of both sets of fans free entry with or without a season ticket that would be clearer.

it probably would. if it was definitely true. if there's a chance that a club down the road is doing it then are we sure there isn't a club in the english leagues doing it?

Edited by Julie Ann

You are not the only person to mention the Ultras name, but what seems to be being ignored is the fact that it was chosen by a group of kids and onethistle just decided to run with it. If we are to create an atmosphere whereby the kids want to go to the games and to belong, them I honestly can't see what is wrong with letting them take the lead. I know from previous posts that you don't have a problem with kids at games per se, so hope you can learn to see the positives that the club could reap from this.

Despite you saying that you think it's a good idea, you are the only person that ive read on here that has said they will not be renewing their season ticket as a consequence. Or is 'not rushing out' deliberatly ambiguous enough to claim it's not what you meant. Does this mean you'll be giving up on Thistle completely? I assume so, since you are kidding yourself if you think that paying at the gate won't be contributing in some way to maintaining the U16 go free schemes?

The kids go free scheme may be a loss leader, but the fact that those kids are often accompanied by paying adults who can sit in a seat that would otherwise have been unoccupied, means that the loss must be minimised over the course of the season.

For the record, I started going with my boy as a pay at the gate customer, moved onto buying a season ticket for us both (I still thought the £30 for a kids season ticket was worth it to get him used to having one) and when it's time to pay full whack for him I will because the club has decent schemes such as the 4-month instalments that make it affordable.

You don't want to sit next to misbehaving children and that is understandable, so I hope you can enjoy the new season in the North Stand.

I bought my season ticket this year and I will buy it next year, But not putting myself out of pocket to help the club so will buy it in July before the season starts. The club clearly don't need the money as much as they say they do,

I think you are the only person to actually recognize and understand this point. Jim's attitude on the other thread about the north stand was suck it up and deal with it. So I do appreciate that. I don't dislike children I just do not want to spend my hard end cash to come to a game where I end up having to give kids into trouble!

I would like to say that I welcome the packages that are being offered to younger fans and congratulate the people behind this. My 8yo son will be signing up and is looking forward to going to Firhill on Saturday.

Of course, the packages could be charged at similar rates to previous schemes and bring in some cash, but a fairly nominal sponsorship could cover the costs of the schemes (depending on uptake obviously) and make it easy to offer the package for free. I have no idea if this is the case of course, but I doubt that the scheme will be much of a loss if any at all to the club. I can confirm anecdotally that the kids go free scheme HAS meant that I have attended more games than I would otherwise have done. I have also spent more on programmes, merchandise and food than I would have too...

Information-gathering and handing out season tickets allows some form of analysis to be made of how well uptake converts to actual attendance and subsequently to uptake of paid-for season tickets in future.

Some "e-market research" could also be conducted subsequently to see how many users attend matches with paying adults who would otherwise not attend which might put some scientific rather than anecdotal bones on the suggestion that this is the case.

Maybe Scimmia Rossa could volunteer to design a questionnaire to assess the impact of the scheme....

A bit of an aside here, but is it a good idea to have people filling in forms on Saturday? It seems to be a prerequisite to getting a ticket. It's likely to be one of our bigger crowds of the season and having people around the portacabin trying to complete forms for one or more kids could hold things up quite a bit. All the info needed is online - you can either email the club, or download the form yourself. All they should be doing on Saturday is handing out the form for people to hand in/post at a later date.

Well done to the club for doing this, I think with a little better marketing, kids for free could really work.I will be taking the wee man on Saturday, and because of this my girlfriend will be coming also. I sure other fans have plenty of other examples on how kids for free brings more adults to the game as well.

Edited by Alan Murray

Great initiative! Kids are definitely the future of our support and the more we can get in the door the better!

I think there would be a big uptake of this by kids who wouldn't normally come to our games (ie, publicising this in as many schools as possible) and I'm sure by offering the tickets to these people for free would bring in many more bodies than if we had turned round to them and said it's £5 entry.

Obviously the hope is by the time they turn 16 they'll be hooked on Thistle and will then pay to get in. I'm sure some of them will!

To those who aren't happy that the club keep coming up with more free stuff for kids... what offers/promos/freebies for the adults would you like to see? I'm sure someone will pass ideas on to the club if we come up with some! I don't think it would be fair to only say 'I think kids should pay X' without coming up with alternatives for the club to consider.

yes, lets make sure none of 'them' are involved

Hillarious - NOT.

Ha ha ha ha. Have people lost their sense of humor around here?

I laughed at JJ's comment before I realised of course it's a serious and relevant question simply because (as Julian poked fun at) it's a loaded question in Glasgow.

Julie Ann didn't allude to one side or the other and her comment appeared to me to be nothing more than a poke at a festering sore.

If anyone took offense then I suspect that says more about them than Julie Ann.

C'mon Ian mac, lighten up.

(I'm off to find a suitably condescending emoticon......)

Edited by AlgarveJag

As someone who can be a right moany sod about various things Thistle I really don't see why anyone has a problem with this?

I do think the point about having folk filling out forms on Saturday and holding up the ticket queue is a valid one.

JJ, if a form must be filled out before any under 16 not already in possession of a season ticket is issued with a pass for the game, perhaps a seperate area away from the main queue can be set up for this to be done before joining those waiting at the portacabins.

There will be 3/4 volunteers from onethistle at the other side of the turnstyle with clipboards to assist filling in forms - there will be no que hold up.

All we are asking is name address age school and e mail address ,it should take about 60 secs - I know its a pain and we have and will continue to ask Young Fans to register on line but we dont want to turn people away ,as the Season continues the numbers to be registered will reduced.

Next Season we will have a fair number of Young Fans on our database so they will automatically get a Season Ticket posted out ,this is a short term inconvience for this Season only.

Please be patient folks ,it will get smoother as time goes on :thumbsup2:

... ,this is a short term inconvience for this Season only.

Please be patient folks ,it will get smoother as time goes on :thumbsup2:

I hope that you're wrong JJ!

Let's hope for a bit of inconvenience and even chaos every season as more and more kids need to be signed up!

Fantastic scheme and I'm delighted that the data capture element is now part of the process. I think that building a database is the second most important thing that the club should be doing from a marketing perspective and building one of future season ticket prospects is a no brainer.

The most important thing then is to actually use the gold mine. The Jags have had my email address for donkeys years now but in 2011 I received just 5 emails from Ami Small. to date this year I've received just 5 including one in April and one in June punting season tickets.

I think that you can argue all day, by the way, about how you quantify the value of this scheme but I think that's probably a waste of time because of all the variables involved in terms of team performance and the state of the economy. What we can say is that it must be worth a go and activity will lead to results that won't happen through inactivity.

I also think it's a great initiative even if no commercial value was attached to it but I believe that that won't be the case and I'm sure that this initiative will lead to an increase in whatever level of sales would otherwise have been achieved in the years to come.

More power to your jaggy elbows to everyone involved in this.

at the end of the day each of those kids given a free ticket will drag along an adult paying £17 into the club coffers.

add to that copious amounts of hotdogs,pies,juice and programmes being purchased for said kids and Thistle are certainly getting a good return on their free tickets for kids scheme

not to mention the amount of replica kits,shirts scarves and other odds and sods that will be bought over the season

Where exactly in the ground are sections 5 & 6?

I ask because these kids sections were unannounced when people were buying their season tickets and may now find that they are in the middle of the kids areas.

There are no Season Ticket Holders in the Kids Areas - they were previously the Kids Zone and we have used what was an away fan Section and moved them along a bit.

You couldn't make this up!

:lol:

I guess the modern term for this kind of situation is 'fluid'.

If it proves to be an issue, i'm sure they'll be moved somewhere else in future games. Where exactly is left to move them, I don't have a clue.

I used to hate sitting in the kids section because you were too far away for the shed end to get any atmosphere - at least they'll be in amongst it now!

I guess the modern term for this kind of situation is 'fluid'.

If it proves to be an issue, i'm sure they'll be moved somewhere else in future games. Where exactly is left to move them, I don't have a clue.

I used to hate sitting in the kids section because you were too far away for the shed end to get any atmosphere - at least they'll be in amongst it now!

The logical place would be at the City End, although, seeing as that's where I sit, that doesn't appeal to me. :P

Another option would be in the North Stand, in the section nearest Firhill Road.

Edit- In fact the North Stand is ideal. Let's be honest, most wee guys in their early teens want to see what the older ones of their ilk are up to.

Edited by H Wragg

The logical place would be at the City End, although, seeing as that's where I sit, that doesn't appeal to me. :P

Another option would be in the North Stand, in the section nearest Firhill Road.

Edit- In fact the North Stand is ideal. Let's be honest, most wee guys in their early teens want to see what the older ones of their ilk are up to.

The Thistle Ultras are in Section 6 which is next to the away Fans - we are hoping the close proximity encourages our Youngsters to start some singing and for the JHS to join in,the away fans are section 7 and 8 which means they have the Thistle Ultras on one side and the New Shed on the other side - all in close proximity - the Thistle Futures - under 12s are in Section 5 far enough away from the away fans so they dont hear any swearing, but close enough to the Thistle Ultras and the New Shed to enjoy the experience.

This means parents with kids of differing ages can sit in the Futures Zone with there younger kids but there teenagers can do there own thing but within a reasonable distance from them.

All very early doors ,but layout is as good as we are going to get in order that we can create a bit of an atmosphere.

Edited by Jordanhill Jag