Celtic Under 20S North Atlantic League

We can only guess what the financial structure of this deal will be, but I doubt Celtic know how many of their fans will turn up for the games. If they do not pay a fee up front for use of our ground, they will take some money at least and give us the other half. It's the safest way for them.

I don't suppose we are in any position to dictate how much they should pay us. Anything would be a bonus - it is not as if there were queues of teams wanting to use Firhill...

However, I would hope a bare minum would be to pay the extra leccy bills on top of the cut we eventually get...

That'll be the promotion push doon the pan then. Here was me thinkin for once we'd have a pitch that could be kept in mint condition for a whole season.

Rugby's so much worse for the pitch than football is. You could play a few football matches on the pitch and still only do half the damage a rugby match would.

Rugby's so much worse for the pitch than football is. You could play a few football matches on the pitch and still only do half the damage a rugby match would.

Not sure that's necessarily the case. I recall the people who were maintaining the ground during the Warriors stay commenting that it's the number of games (either game) played in pouring rain that did the real damage.

When you think about it, the state of the park at the end of each of the seasons has been different so that's an indication that there are other factors beyond playing two sports on the same surface.

Why?

When we got the rugby deal, the club sang it from the roof tops. When we lost the rugby deal, they were happy to make the figure available.

Why not now?

Would tend to agree with this, but I suspect that the amounts involved are not as lucrative. I think it's a decent move but hope we're not tied into anything too long term just in case something better comes along.

If it is as lucrative, then longer term would be fine

Not sure that's necessarily the case. I recall the people who were maintaining the ground during the Warriors stay commenting that it's the number of games (either game) played in pouring rain that did the real damage.

When you think about it, the state of the park at the end of each of the seasons has been different so that's an indication that there are other factors beyond playing two sports on the same surface.

Wasn't there something about some seasons we had had a lot of Friday night rugby (in rain) followed by a game of football on the Saturday meaning the pitch had no time to recover. I think they tried to arrange fixtures so this happened a lot less but never managed to completely avoid it.

Regarding value of the deal. I reckon it will be decent but not anywhere near the Rugby deal. We might make a bit extra if - 1) the Celtic youngsters have a good run of results, 2) big Celtic team is away the same week so many fans wouldn't expect to see them that week; 3) luck with weather.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Wasn't there something about some seasons we had had a lot of Friday night rugby (in rain) followed by a game of football on the Saturday meaning the pitch had no time to recover. I think they tried to arrange fixtures so this happened a lot less but never managed to completely avoid it.

That's correct. But you wouldn't want to arrange football games in such close succesion either for the same reason if it's at all avoidable.

I remain an advocate of all-weather surfaces. If the newest options are good enough for the Champions League then it's good enough for SFL1. Would be a worthwhile investment and open the pitch up to multiple usage all week, and would put all these kinds of issues behind us.

The difference between football and rugby on a pitch is massive. Football has dainty players running around and the odd slide tackle. Every tackle in rugby does the same amount of damage as a slide tackle in football and there are hundreds of them per game. Every scrum, line out, ruck and maul destroys the pitch, 16 hairy arsed blokes the best part of 20 stone digging their studs into the ground and pushing against each other.

The difference between football and rugby on a pitch is massive. Football has dainty players running around and the odd slide tackle. Every tackle in rugby does the same amount of damage as a slide tackle in football and there are hundreds of them per game. Every scrum, line out, ruck and maul destroys the pitch, 16 hairy arsed blokes the best part of 20 stone digging their studs into the ground and pushing against each other.

And a match in the rain will result in more rucking (and also scrums to fail and need reset) rather than back-play, causing even more damage. The season before last it seemed there was a downpour every time the Warriors played.

Why?

When we got the rugby deal, the club sang it from the roof tops. When we lost the rugby deal, they were happy to make the figure available.

Why not now?

I say "guess" because there is no other information other than the statement on ptfc.co.uk which mentions we get something out of this and there is no information on a set amount to be received. It seems a different financial structure of payment is in place. That's all I tried to say..!

I say "guess" because there is no other information other than the statement on ptfc.co.uk which mentions we get something out of this and there is no information on a set amount to be received. It seems a different financial structure of payment is in place. That's all I tried to say..!

Fair points. The club statement said that the "deal we have agreed will see Celtic play a mixture of SPL U20 League and their NextGen Series games here at Firhill. It is structured in such a way that a split of the receipts from games at Firhill will stay with PTFC." Our income will depend on the attendances. I reckon that we receive a fee per game to cover expenses plus a share of the gate money. It's also an opportunity for our management team to scout some talent and make useful contacts at other clubs.

Fair points. The club statement said that the "deal we have agreed will see Celtic play a mixture of SPL U20 League and their NextGen Series games here at Firhill. It is structured in such a way that a split of the receipts from games at Firhill will stay with PTFC." Our income will depend on the attendances. I reckon that we receive a fee per game to cover expenses plus a share of the gate money. It's also an opportunity for our management team to scout some talent and make useful contacts at other clubs.

The U20 game the other night was free entry.