Paton

The Earl of Hathaway

Keep the boy's feet on the ground... He took the corner then put in a honking cross from the left that lead to them counter attacking down our right.

Hats off tho' he chased them back and chased down the ball to the opposite side of the pitch to put in a solid tackle, keep the ball, then ping it in to space for Erskine.

One of his nutmegs was cheeky as!

Yes indeed, he is turning into the the player he thinks he is

Very unfair , i think you'll find he is a very down to earth player and will be the first to put him hands up after a poor performance , he is also the first to rave about other players. Personally think he has been our best player for the last 9-12 months , Consistent week in week out gives 100% with excellent quality. VIVA LA PAUL PATON

sorry if I'm being an agro bassa on here tonight (damn that Andy Murray; I'd hoped to be in my bed hours ago), but over the last couple of years there have been several posters on here who have argued that Paton was a "waste of a Jersey" and that he wasn't to "let the door hit his arse on the way out". A lot of pretty unpleasant stuff was posted, totally out of proportion to the faults that were sometimes evident in the young player.

Come on, you know who you are:

Care to man up, come back on... and apologise?

Very unfair , i think you'll find he is a very down to earth player and will be the first to put him hands up after a poor performance , he is also the first to rave about other players. Personally think he has been our best player for the last 9-12 months , Consistent week in week out gives 100% with excellent quality. VIVA LA PAUL PATON

Hi Paul

*waves to Paul*

Yes indeed, he is turning into the the player he thinks he is

I have spoke with Paul a few times now and I have to say he is nothing like a big time Charlie. Having confidence on the park is a good thing, why would we want to shoot him down for that?

Top guy who seems to really care about Partick Thistle.

sorry if I'm being an agro bassa on here tonight (damn that Andy Murray; I'd hoped to be in my bed hours ago), but over the last couple of years there have been several posters on here who have argued that Paton was a "waste of a Jersey" and that he wasn't to "let the door hit his arse on the way out". A lot of pretty unpleasant stuff was posted, totally out of proportion to the faults that were sometimes evident in the young player.

No takers yet?

OK then here goes...

I was critical about Paul's one footedness when he played right back. I also didn't like the way he continuously lobbed balls in from just inside the opponent's half. He kinda played right back even tho' the team was set up for a wingback.

I've long thought he could be an ideal future captain mainly thru his attitude but didn't think he would necessarily be a week in week out starter plus imo he picked up silly bookings too often.

Unlike others I've never been critical of Paton when he first played central mid or as a centreback but again thought he wouldn't necessarily be a first team certainty in these positions. Also like others more recently I couldn't see where Paul would fit in after the signing of Murray regardless of whether Rowser was in the frame or not.

I'd be doing the guy a big time disservice by only saying that the position he now plays in brings out the best in him. That's probably true but his attitude, fitness and stamina are now all exceptional. Ironically he can now beat a defender and often gets to the byeline. Possibly just as importantly he no longer displays the petulance of a season or so ago and, tho' by nature of his game he's bound to pick up cards, he's unlikely to pick them up cheaply.

Having a tremendous season and definitely in my mind a future captain :thumbsup2:

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Yeah I was one of them although my comments were more constructive than you suggest. I told Paul to his face what I thought too and we had a fair doos chat about it. That was as a full back and I stand by my comments about him cutting into a left foot he couldn't use, or failing to beat his man and go to the byline, or swing an aimless ball into the box from 5 yards inside the oppositions half.

Since being switch to midfield the guy has been a revelation and has been our best player this season. I've told him he has been great and I said 'who knew you could be a midfield terrier?' His response? 'me :)'. Nice one, well done Paul Paton, hope you keep it up. Apologise for my comments? Nope, coz they were bang on at the time I made them...IMO of course ;)

I thought he was nothing more than an average 1st Division right back, his floated crosses from 5 yards in the opponenets half and his refusal to use his left foot used to do my head in.

This season he has been unbelievable. He is everywhere on the pitch, can ping a great long pass and gets stuck in. He also always looks to get the ball forward to Erskine and Lawless as early as he can and puts the ball in a posotion they can run onto it and do what they do best, run at defenders. He looks like a leader on the pitch and is an obvious choice for captain once Archie retires. He is like Makalele was in his prime, only he can play a better pass.

Take a bow son.

the transformation from a dithering one footed full back who was unable to judge time and distance has been a revelation, should he continue to sustain his current standard of performance he will not be here long enough to become a captain of the Mighty Jags, as he will playing at a much higher level with another outfit, however it’s just not Paul who has transformed, it’s the whole team, and it has been a joy to watch games this season, long may it continue

the transformation from a dithering one footed full back who was unable to judge time and distance has been a revelation, should he continue to sustain his current standard of performance he will not be here long enough to become a captain of the Mighty Jags, as he will playing at a much higher level with another outfit, however it’s just not Paul who has transformed, it’s the whole team, and it has been a joy to watch games this season, long may it continue

I don't think there's been any transformation. He was a decent right back- one of our best players when we came second a couple of years ago. I think he's now found a position where he can peform exceptionally well, rather than just well.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The only waste of jersey here is YOU. Paul Paton stagnated massively as a footballer, and while played at right back showed a complete inability to use his left foot. He also regularly displayed a bad attitude.

About February last year, things changed. Paul Paton is now an integral part of the side and the next club captain. Well done to Paul for turning things around.

I know this thread is about Paton, but Jackie and the rest of the coaches really have to take a great deal of the credit for the way the players and the team have been completely transformed. Cairney (remember him?) was gash season 10-11, but season 11-12 was player of the year. I've always liked Paton because I felt what he lacked in ability, he made up in passion, and that for me bought him a couple of stray passes. He was someone who I was always onside with and wanting to do better.

What Jackie did with Cairney and Paton was to 'play them out of position' - he sees something in training that made him try them in different roles and it's worked. I know the players have to also put in the effort, but he seems to instilled something in them that changes everything. Even Archie looks comfortable on the ball!

Anyway, long may it continue - he's obviously enjoying his football, and I hope he's with Thistle for a few more seasons yet.

I know this thread is about Paton, but Jackie and the rest of the coaches really have to take a great deal of the credit for the way the players and the team have been completely transformed. Cairney (remember him?) was gash season 10-11, but season 11-12 was player of the year. I've always liked Paton because I felt what he lacked in ability, he made up in passion, and that for me bought him a couple of stray passes. He was someone who I was always onside with and wanting to do better.

What Jackie did with Cairney and Paton was to 'play them out of position' - he sees something in training that made him try them in different roles and it's worked. I know the players have to also put in the effort, but he seems to instilled something in them that changes everything. Even Archie looks comfortable on the ball!

Anyway, long may it continue - he's obviously enjoying his football, and I hope he's with Thistle for a few more seasons yet.

Very good post. :thumbsup2:

I would hold my hand up to saying I was a critic of Paton, didn't see anything other than a bog standard 1st Div Right back. I'm not apologising for having this opinion or critiscising him, I find these kind of "I told you so" posts really annoying, the general consensus was he hadn't progressed at all in the time with us, was embarrasingly one footed for a professional footballer.

But this season, all I've done is praise him, he's been our best player in most games, his fitness is outstanding and his work rate is inspiring. But nobody owes an apology for their opinions last season etc, that is stupid.