Braehead Clan

p12tfc

Dont know if anyone else on here ever goes to watch the hockey at braehead but if you have ever thought about it but never got round to it or even just looking for something to do this weekend then i suggest you get to one of the games on either friday or saturday night. Not only is it a cracking night out where you can drink during the game but the clan have also just signed former stanley cup winner and current nhl player Drew Miller due to the lockout in usa/canada. This is , in football terms , like a messi or ronaldo signing for thistle.

Guys i cant recommend it enough. As i said its a great night out with the bonus of one of the best players in the world playing for our glasgow team.

Hopefully some of you get along and get hooked like i did and add to our ever growing fan base

It sounds great, but I wonder if any Clan fans enthusiastically recommend to their mates that they might spend their hard-earned (and scarce) cash at Firhill, to see the Jags and the mercurial Chris Erskine.

Edited to add: You can't realistically afford to get hooked on both, can you?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Granted getting hooked on both can be very pricey. However as a one off or on a weekend where maybe the jags are away and you dont intend to go then id highly recommend it

Also for anyone who is thinking " why would i want to go to ice hockey " i had never even watched a game on tele before the first time i went

I'm a fan of ice hockey but rarely watch it to be honest. Used to sit up late watching it on channel five during the playoffs wishing the maple leafs were half decent and able to get to the post season.

Went to see Edinburgh capitals a few times a few years ago, but then never bothered to see the Panthers when I lived in Nottingham. It really is a fantastic sport to watch with a great atmosphere.

Watched NJ Devils and NY Rangers a few times when in NYC. It's a great game to watch and always fancied going to the Glasgow team. Went yonks ago when in primary school to the ice rink in Finnieston which is now a Curry's and other shops and was handed a ice hockey stick by one of the players. Proudly took it to school the next day and still have it.

In addition I went to Basketball to watch Glasgow Rocks at the new Commonwealth Emirates Arena on Sunday. Was only a fiver and a good way to break up "Suicide Sunday" feeling on the evening. Had about 5000 there and would go back to it.

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

"in football terms , like a messi or ronaldo signing for thistle."

Had you said it was crosby or ovechkin then this part would be true. Drew Miller, as good as he is, will be played in a different role at the clan than he would be in the NHL. On saturday night i watched the Giants play the Panthers in Belfast and Anthony Stewart(NHLer) wasn't that stand out. They are both 3rd/4th line grinders who both hit like trucks but don't have much in the flair department, but will be an asset to any team in the league.

i was over at Braehead for the Giants game on the 8th september, great atmosphere and really family freindly.

IMO the clan already have the best player in the league in fat Jade( is a girls name) Galbraith.

don't want to be naysayer but having lived in Canada for 35 years, I have no choice but to be a fan of the NHL (or at least The Toronto Maple Leafs, but that's another story), and I have never heard of Drew Miller

I guess I could look up who he plays for , but he certainly is no star

doesn't mean it won't be a good time , but Messi or Ronaldo he ain't

I regularly watch SKA St Petersburg in the KHL, so I took in a game at Braehead when I was home last Christmas. The standard obviously isn't that high as ice hockey isn't that well developed in the UK, but it is a good nights entertainment, if rather expensive.

I was like p12tfc in the sense that I knew next to nothing about ice hockey before I moved to Russia, but now I love it, and the KHL is benefiting from the NHL lockout as a lot of the big Russian players (Ovechkin went to Dinamo Moscow, Ilya Kovalchuk came here to St Petersburg) are coming back home to get some match practice, even some American and Canadian players are coming on short-term deals.

The NHL lockout is quite frankly astounding.

It makes what happened in Scottish Football this summer seem trivial.

Am I right in thinking that neither side is willing to budge and there is no end in sight? A truly remarkable situation.

Not the first time this has happened; think they know that the owners must eventually see sense and get back around the table.

In terms of the Clan, I watched Drew Miller against Edinburgh Capitals and thought he was a good player by UK Elite League standards. Didn't do a thing wrong and his puck retention and cycling was very good (as you'd expect). Pretty sure his brother, Ryan Miller, is netminder for the Sabres; he's a top class 1st choice whereas Drew is a third line player. But with 200+ NHL games he's no mug.

I'd also suggest that folk give the Clan a go and , yes, the family-friendly manufactured atmosphere can be a bit cheesey. I try to get to most home games plus one or two away games e.g. Belfast, which is a great trip. Nothing like games in former soviet bloc countries where ice rinks are like old-style football grounds and have terracing behind goals. One of my kids still plays and I used to follow him over to places like Czech Republic and Slovakia for games. Good crowds, football-style chanting etc. East Germany even had skinheads leading the chants... Happy days. Oh, and European hockey isn't as physical as North American, so fewer fights; just very fast and end-to-end. Unlike Thistle who just bring their "offence" game and score when they want to! (I'll live to regret that last comment and will be torn to shreds by one or two who know me!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also suggest that folk give the Clan a go and , yes, the family-friendly manufactured atmosphere can be a bit cheesey.

If you want a cheesy atmosphere watch the Clan, if you want football atmosphere watch Fife, if you want jovial atmosphere watch Edinburgh, if you want no atmosphere watch Dundee.

how much is it

It starts at $15.50 and goes up to $19.50. I usually pay $17.50 and for tickets near the front at the side which are pretty good seats (sorry I'm on a German laptop and it doesn't appear to have a pound sign but those prices are in pounds). Saturday night games tend to be the busiest and have the best atmosphere.

Edited by scottymagoo

One of the advantages of following British ice hockey, is that it makes the SFA/FL/PL look competent in comparison. It really surprises me how Belfast, Sheffield and Nottingham can get crowds of 7,000 despite it being so shoddily governed. I guess it shows how good a spectator sport ice hockey makes.

If you want a cheesy atmosphere watch the Clan, if you want football atmosphere watch Fife, if you want jovial atmosphere watch Edinburgh, if you want no atmosphere watch Dundee.

If you want a freezing cold night out in a time warp go to Fife - the car park has more craters than the moon! But in terms of atmosphere, their fans can raise the roof! (Funny club incidentally, at junior level they don't allow their players to shake hands with the opposition; this has been winding up teams for years and creates an air of superiority that means when you beat them you want to wind it right up 'em.)