More Fans Through The Gate

northernsoul

I don't want to go over old ground about how the game is too expensive and how it is changed blah, blah, blah. Seriously though, what more can this team do to deserve a bigger home support through the gates?

The up and coming match against Dunfermline is massive and is similar to a game we played vs Dundee three years ago.For "Glasgow's Big Game" we had just under 4500 for that. Could we get over 4000 for the Dunfermline game?

22/27 points in the league and a cup final to look forward to in the first quarter of the season - outstanding. I just wish we had more folk through the gate to the enjoy the football we're playing at the moment and help give McNamara a budget in January.

Thoughts?

Edited by northernsoul

Give it time. We'll get a good crowd against Dunfermline and, looking into the future a bit, Boxing Day against Morton will be a cracker. A Glasgow's Big Match style promotion for either of those games would make sense

Basically, if we keep playing like we are and keep winning matches we'll get noticed, and that'll get bigger crowds through the gate. The fact that we haven't been below 2500 for a home league match, and above 3000 twice, is a good sign.

maybe more advertising ?

Yep. To be really effective though (i.e. airtime on the likes of STV, Radio Clyde etc) it would be costly and perhaps not get much in the way of return. Thistle have several good selling points though: non-bigotry, returning stadium atmosphere, crackin colours (well....after November when we get our red n yella back!), top of the league, in a cup final, playing entertaining football...... it's the lost Jags fans we need to be encouraging back to Firhill as well as new ones.

I'm afraid the bing and the big empty main stand don't help the overall experience. Shame, because football of the standard we saw yesterday (by us, not by Airdrie) certainly made it enjoyable.

Have to agree Jaggernaut. The bing is an eyesore and the decision to bulldoze the old terracing is coming back to haunt us. Not much more the team can do to get customers through the door. If we win the league and the Ramsdens, am I right in assuming that it will be a first ever league and cup double in the history of the club. Maybe a way to go when advertising upcoming games. Jeez Sevco were advertising their game in the papers yesterday as "Glasgow's oldest derby" How in Gods name do they work that one out as they have only been in existance for 3 months!!!

Edited by Lindau

Have to agree Jaggernaut. The bing is an eyesore and the decision to bulldoze the old terracing is coming back to haunt us. Not much more the team can do to get customers through the door. If we win the league and the Ramsdens, am I right in assuming that it will be a first ever league and cup double in the history of the club. Maybe a way to go when advertising upcoming games. Jeez Sevco were advertising their game in the papers yesterday as "Glasgow's oldest derby" How in Gods name do they work that one out as they have only been in existance for 3 months!!!

Thing is Sevco get free advertising from the 'fans with typewriters' © - I believe more than once this season these "journalists" :censor: have published (unpaid) forms to apply for tickets for Sevco games, something they did for no other club.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are deliberately downplaying how well we're playing this season in case it distracts from the blue (sic) eyed boys.

once i get some financial issue sorted with back pay that im owed id really like to go to a few games - perhaps buy one of the half season tickets if they go on sale on january. But i think what we are seeing is simply the outcome of an overall declining game in scotland vis a vis the rise of telivised football of marque football situations like premiership and la liga. Cause the argument has always been that our declining crowds were a direct result of the poor football and once that sorts out we go back to our previous levels, but this seems to not be the case at this stage.... Ultimately i think these general structural problems of scottish football are far bigger than what the club or fans of a particular club can deal with. Its kinda sad that following the decline of rangers, where for the first time we have seen a very public debate about the future of scottish football arise, where all sorts of new possibilities were concieved, that deep changes do not seem to be on the agenda. It seems that much of the chat is at the spl that the vote to change the voting structure will have an outcome which will preserve the status quo - i really hope that is not the case, but meh...

I guess all that the club and the fans can do is try to get to former ones, attract new people through word of mouth. The club have got their side of the bargain sorted with the good football. Maybe if results stay the same a big promotion drive could be done to get people who used to attend to buy a half season ticket for an extra cash injection maybes??

The fans can be important in getting folk back. Without going over old ground too much a lot of folk can't make every game for whatever reasons. But its better getting folk along to 4 or 5 games a season than none at all. I've been getting a few pals back in the habit and they're liking what they see.

Social media could be a good view to let folk know about upcoming games. I think I sent a Ramsdens invitation to a hundred folk the other night. This is cost free but a good reminder for folk. Not up on Twitter much butatches could be trended? on that as well?

Would like to see the ub40 concession re-introduced. It's 12 that the crowd are maybe not getting at the moment. We can then highlight our prices for prospective new customers and returnees.

once i get some financial issue sorted with back pay that im owed id really like to go to a few games - perhaps buy one of the half season tickets if they go on sale on january. But i think what we are seeing is simply the outcome of an overall declining game in scotland vis a vis the rise of telivised football of marque football situations like premiership and la liga. Cause the argument has always been that our declining crowds were a direct result of the poor football and once that sorts out we go back to our previous levels, but this seems to not be the case at this stage.... Ultimately i think these general structural problems of scottish football are far bigger than what the club or fans of a particular club can deal with. Its kinda sad that following the decline of rangers, where for the first time we have seen a very public debate about the future of scottish football arise, where all sorts of new possibilities were concieved, that deep changes do not seem to be on the agenda. It seems that much of the chat is at the spl that the vote to change the voting structure will have an outcome which will preserve the status quo - i really hope that is not the case, but meh...

I guess all that the club and the fans can do is try to get to former ones, attract new people through word of mouth. The club have got their side of the bargain sorted with the good football. Maybe if results stay the same a big promotion drive could be done to get people who used to attend to buy a half season ticket for an extra cash injection maybes??

Not much, if anything, wrong with the above post.

The fans can be important in getting folk back. Without going over old ground too much a lot of folk can't make every game for whatever reasons. But its better getting folk along to 4 or 5 games a season than none at all. I've been getting a few pals back in the habit and they're liking what they see.

Social media could be a good view to let folk know about upcoming games. I think I sent a Ramsdens invitation to a hundred folk the other night. This is cost free but a good reminder for folk. Not up on Twitter much butatches could be trended? on that as well?

Would like to see the ub40 concession re-introduced. It's 12 that the crowd are maybe not getting at the moment. We can then highlight our prices for prospective new customers and returnees.

as far as im aware the UB40 concession has been introduced... if it has should be publicised more specially since we have a lotta unemployment on the go at the moment, if not should be implemented for the same reason.

I'm afraid the bing and the big empty main stand don't help the overall experience. Shame, because football of the standard we saw yesterday (by us, not by Airdrie) certainly made it enjoyable.

Yes. I totally agree. There must be something we can do with that atrocity; turn it into a giant bouncy castle, plant trees on it and make the Firhill enchanted wood, or simply pump foam onto it after every home win so we can have a victory bunga-bunga party on it!